“3rd time here.”

Togwotee Mountain Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 12, 2009

This is our third stay here at Togwotee. We love the cabins, the staff, & the snowmobiling. There was a disappointment that the kitchen is closed for renovations for first few days, but it was worth it. We normally cook in our cabins & go to Jackson for nightlife anyway, so it really wasn't a big deal. There are 8-10 of us who make the 17 hour trek to get here, & we will be back next year.

• Stayed: February 2009

Reviewed October 15, 2008

5 of us stayed for 4 nights at the Togwotee Mountain Lodge, we were told that the cabin we reserved would sleep 5 comfortably.
The cabins were smaller than expected for 5 people. We cut our stay short. All the cabins had barbeque on the porch, for some reason on our 2nd night we notice that ours was removed, we were not told but thankfully the food we were going to BBQ could be cooked inside the cabin.
House cleaning was a joke, all they did was make the beds. Bathroom was never restocked with Kleenex, toilet paper, etc had to call the front office. The front office did responded quickly when we called.
Restaurant was pretty much closed for the season along with the bar area. The food that was available in the restaurant was over priced and awful. This is definitely a place for winter not the end of summer beginning of fall.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank liasOrangeCo_CA
TogwoteeDirector, Sales & Marketing Director at Togwotee Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2009

First, I wanted to thank everyone for sharing your experience at Togwotee. Some of the reviews seem like they are from an unhappy employee, but not all. I wanted to address a few issues...

Road Construction:
A 7 year road construction begin 3 years ago on Togwotee Pass. Last summer the construction was in front of our lodge. In the summer of 2009 no construction will be near the entrance to the lodge. We had to wait for a pilot car to leave our driveway in 2008. The road work often occurred at night causing further disturbances. Guests who gave us a chance to address their concerns were allowed to cancel future nights with no penalty. We tried to inform our guests of the construction and to be prepared for delays. Upset guests that allowed e a saying in Wyoming; We have 4 Seasons, Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter & Construction Season! Due to the short summer all travelers will experience construction delays in the Tetons, Yellowstone and the greater region. Togwotee Pass will have 0-10 minuet delays 6 miles west of Togwotee for a portion of summer.

Suites & Cabins:
Our Family Bunk Rooms were remodeled in the Fall of 2008. The remodel includes flat screen TV’s and pillow top beds! The lodge rooms will receive all new linens in the spring of 2009. We have 54 cabins in the woods below the lodge. They are efficiency cabins that have a back bed room, a front living room and a full bathroom separating the two units. They are open air units, not privacy units for two couples. Our cabins were built only 13 years ago and have been well kept since.

Location:
Togwotee Mountain Lodge is 16 miles east of the park entrance at Moran. Once at Moran an additional 30-35 mile through Grand Teton National Park will bring you to Jackson if traveling south, and Yellowstone if traveling north. No matter where you stay many attractions will still be an hour’s drive. The only way to save drive time is to move almost nightly to different regions, but this requires a lot of packing and unpacking. The best advice I give visitors is to research your travel distances in the area and make regional plans. The benefit of being outside the park is apparent when you want to relax for a day on our property. Our property is not swamped with all the day trip visitors that properties in the park experience. Not only are the lodging properties inside the park all full during the summer with their guests, the facilities are also being utilized by the thousands of other daily visitors to the park. We do not lie about our location as an early departure hurts our business as much as it does the experience to our customers!

If you have any concern please call me!

Ben Wallace
Sales & Marketing Director

Reviewed October 12, 2008

First and all, the lodge is NOT close to Yellowstone, as stated in their website, it's a 45 minute drive.
We speciafically rented a "family suite" to have a bit more space, even it is was just for the 2 of us. Now, if this room was for a family, I don't even want to know how small the regular rooms were!
On the way to our room on the 2nd floor (no elevator), I already noticed that the carpet was extremely dirty. When we opened the door to our room, a very unpleasant smell welcomed us, as if the room had not been ventilated for a couple of months... Well, maybe this is the case anyhow, as all the windows were outside of reach. After crawling onto some furniture, we reached 1 window, but could not really open it, as it was about to fall out of the window frame when touched... Besides this, the sofa was completely worn down/dirty, same for the carpets. Good balance was needed as well, when going to the toilet, as this one was not securely attached to the floor and very wobbly, the bed was not comfortable either.
However, what made us most angry:
As there was no mobile phone network, we were forced to use the phone in the room. I only called home for 2 minutes (to give them the number, so they could call us straight back) and we were charged for a 7-minute call for 66.90 dollars!!! We had to pay the bill, but they promised they were going to look into it and contact me again.
Obviously, we never heard anything anymore, so after our holiday I TRIED calling them. Calling the regular number is always diverted to an answering machine, so I tried calling reservations and guess what... somebody picked up straight away! I asked them for their email address, as this is also nowhere to be found on the website, which they gave me in the end. I am now writing to them on a daily basis, however, the keep ignoring me.
I realise I will probably never see my money again, that is why I am writing this review, TO WARN EVERYBODY ELSE. DON'T GO THERE... the rooms are very expensive for what you get, it's not close to anything and they just ripp you off!!!

It's a shame I did not know about tripadvisor before, as there are some more negative reviews, which would have stopped me from booking in the first place. I hope my review will make somebody else think twice as well.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Tabata744
Reviewed October 2, 2008

Booked the stay for two nites from web site. Looked rustic and clean. As we arrived, 20 miles of road construction. Signs alerted us at the front desk that road construction noise would be from 11pm thru 5 am, indicated no sleep! Our cowboy cookout had been cancelled- cook was sick. Rooms and lodge was not clean. Not quite the "lodge" we expected. Very disappointed. We did not stay, and were given a refund of the $155.29 we had paid in advance. We went on to Jackson. After we arrived home, another nite's charge had been entered on my credit card, totalling $310.58 (two nite's stay) and we didn't even stay here! DO NOT BOOK YOUR STAY HERE UNLESS SOMETHING CHANGES!!!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank katb327
Reviewed September 1, 2008

Do not stay here in the summer! This may be a fine place for winter activities, but it is not a place to stay in the summer. Extensive road construction, 20 miles worth, directly in front of the property. In fact they are using the hotel's parking lot for parking the trucks. It is an hour away from the Tetons, you can't even see them from the there. I booked through the hotel's website which charged my credit card right away. The manager on duty let me cancel my reservation when we arrived to find such a mess.

Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank dmoore062
Reviewed August 22, 2008

"What a Dump"!!!!!! The pictures look so nice on the website but the fact is, they are "OLD ROOMS", in desperate need of updating. I stayed there for 3 nights only because every where I checked was booked solid and I thought I had found a great place with availability. They HAD AVAILABILITY only because Nobody would want to stay there. When I asked about their rate, which was pretty high to begin with, she said she "might have a special rate right now", she then lowered the rate per night by $50 a night, I was very happy. But what I didn't know was WHY she dropped the rate. They couldn't book any other guests because the place is so rundown and is being run by idiots.

I've filed my complaint with the manager, Joe Golightly and haven't heard anything back as of yet. It seems like the kind of place where they really don't care, they will suck some other people in and continue to lie about their accommodations and post fake pictures on their website.

Oh and last by certainly NOT LEAST.....they failed to inform us that the main highway to the lodge was closed for periods of time. We would have to wait for an escort (construction worker) to drive with us for 5 or so miles, what a joke!! Even in the morning, when you want to get going, all the cars were lined up, waiting for the escort car. Our last night there, we waited at midnight for ONE WHOLE HOUR for the escort.

Do your self a favor and STAY AWAY FROM TOGWOTEE LODGE!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank karmar5666
Reviewed August 19, 2008

We recently spent just one night at Togwotee Lodge while passing through the Grand Teton NP area. Our stay was not a pleasant experience. Prospective guests should be warned about the extensive road construction that is going on right outside the lodge...all night! The blinking of the construction lights and the clattering of construction equipment does not make for a good night's rest.
While the staff was friendly enough and the rooms older but clean, the place is NOT worth the price they are charging. The restaurant was, at best, average and the whole "resort" at bit shop worn.
On the plus side, it appeared (we didn't participate) that the lodge has good recreational activities for families. Also, the location is spectacular BUT is not very close to Grand Teton and Yellowstone. The drive is made even longer (and less scenic) by the current construction.
If you're traveling to this area and are tempted to stay here.. call and check the status of the road construction first!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank TahoeDon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moran
Heart Six Guest Ranch
#5 of 16 in Grand Teton National Park
Lava Mountain Lodge
Lava Mountain Lodge
#11 of 13 in Dubois

Been to Togwotee Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!