“Overpriced - Worst place we've ever stayed.”
Review of Hatchet Resort

Hatchet Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Moran
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This place is more like a Motel 6 than a resort. We stayed in a duplex cabin that has paper thin walls, don't let the log look fool you. The room was full of flies and when I talked with the person at the front desk about it, who by the way would not identify himself, said that's the way it is around here. All of the staff we saw smoked behind the restaurants, which of course was near our cabin, so everything smelled of cigarette smoke. This is not the place to go for fresh mountain air. We were switched to a second cabin because the cable connecting theTV fell apart and couldn't be fixed. The second cabin was no better and it was supposed to be the luxury cabin. The water pressure was barely a dribble, the floor in the bathroom was dirty, there was pee residue on the bathtub, and food crumbs on the carpet. Apparently the cleaning staff just pretend they're cleaning. We ate at the restaurant once, found it to be overpriced and many of the selections were not available. This trip was to photograph the wildlife in the Tetons and Yellowstone and I thought it would be a good idea to stay between the two parks, was I wrong! Be prepared for a real "hatchet" job.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank DnD680
There are newer reviews for Hatchet Resort

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We couldn't find any rooms available, so I settled on Hatchett. It's close to Ox Bow Bend, where I wanted to photograph. The room was over $160 and not worth it. The restaurant was over priced as well and the whole place looked like it was struggling to stay afloat. The ice machine was in the hotel kitchen, so I had to walk there every time I needed ice, very inconvenient. Internet was not free--really? For those prices it should have been. I could not recommend this place.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank Rainbird1948
Reviewed October 11, 2012

On the Plus side: very nicely decorated room. Hatchet Resort is a nice place to stop close to Grand Teton and has all you need: a gas station, a small store and a VERY nice grill (see separate review).

On the Minus side: we couldn't push the heater up beyond 65F and the entrance door had a draft. The whole thing was not very well insulated. Mold smell in the bathroom. The internet was supposed to work in our room but it didn't and we (and all the other guests) were using our laptops over dinner in the restaurant.

Room Tip: This is a log-cabin motel, so I guess most rooms are similar
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We adored the log cabin and the staff were very friendly and professional. A light bulb had died in our room but the house service was quick and efficient and sorted it out and also gave me an iron as requested, within the hour. Clean and comfy rooms!The atmosphere and surrounding area is truly amazing if you like being in the sticks (which I do.) The food was delish and the breakfast was plentiful and set us up for the day! I had the short stack pancakes with lots of blueberries and maple syrup..yummm! 5 minute drive to the Teton National park and follow that through to reach the South entrance of Yellowstone. This was the highlight stopover of my stay! Highly recommend.

Room Tip: If you have a larger family, or reunion you might want to stay in the 'osprey House' Detache...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This place is in the middle of nowhere. The room smelled like mold and we had a mouse runninbg around the room all night. The window was broke by one bed and would not even close tight. I would stay away from here.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank fishing_crazy5500
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stumbled acrosss the Hatchet Resort by chance. The hotels in Grand Teton were full and they suggested we try them. The rooms were kind of cool, they are made of log and kind of felt like a little cabin. The room we were in was very small, but the front desk warned us before we booked. I would not recommend this room for a long stay, but for the night it was fine. I happened to look at the other room and it was much bigger and had two beds instead of the one. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful and the restaurants were good as well.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2012

loved staying at the Hatchet. it was very quaint and well kept, very clean. Savannah was awesome on the phone making the reservation and in person at the front desk, she could not have been nicer-she made my experience great. thanks so much for all your help and I really hope think you'd like staying at this resort.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moran
Headwaters Lodge & Cabins at Flagg Ranch
Jackson Lake Lodge
Jackson Lake Lodge
#4 of 14 in Grand Teton National Park
Luton's Teton Cabins

Been to Hatchet Resort? Share your experiences!