“Perfect stay”
Review of Hatchet Resort

Hatchet Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Moran
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My wife and I recently decided on a qucik getaway for a weekend and stayed at the Hatchet Resort. The hotel is located right outside of Grand Teton and not too far from Yellowstone. It fit in well with the area and was perfect for what we were looking for. The rooms were clean and well maintained, and the staff was great. I wouldn't really call it a "Resort" but it had a great restaurant with views of the mountains and the food was good and reasonably priced. The road construction out front was a bit of a problem, and looks to be almost complete. My wife and I look forward to going again as it is oly 100 miles from home and a great spot for a quick getaway.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

We came to Wyoming hoping to see wildlife, we just weren’t expecting to see it in our room…

First off… The rooms are not cabins – they are motel rooms with log cabin style construction. We had expected a cabin – we were even provided with directions to our “cabin” (that is what she called it when we checked in – “cabin”) by the receptionist at the “resort”.

That is forgivable – we were a bit mislead by the description – and by the price. But why dwell on the negative – we there for two nights to enjoy Wyoming and the Tetons…

The room was ok, a bit on the dated side, but roomy, quaint, and even charming, keeping with the cabin feel they were trying to maintain. I actually liked it and the nice front lawn where we could exercise our dog after a long day in the car. However, when we got in to bed that first night, we were surprised by the tattered condition of the blankets. I am not a picky person, but I have never seen blankets in that condition in a hotel – not even when I’ve stayed at $60 per night places.

But that alone was also forgivable – we just overpaid, but why dwell on the negative, right? No sense in complaining..

What isn’t forgivable is the overall quality of the accommodations, the awful customer service and what became the very last straw for us at this “resort”. For what I paid, I expected much better than what I received.

It was the morning after our first night, I got up fairly early, showered and got ready for our day of exploring the National Park and Jackson. I was relaxing on the bed with my dog, my wife was in the bathroom getting ready when out of the corner of my eye, I saw something move over by the desk. I looked and there before me, standing on his hind legs, looking at me, was a sizable mouse. I didn’t “think” I saw a mouse, I saw one. I told my wife – “there’s a mouse in the room”. She didn’t believe me – thought I was joking. Until it scurried across the floor in front of her. She screamed and was hesitant to walk back in the room from the bathroom. We decided at that moment we could not stay in this room another night. I went to the front desk to inform them that there was a mouse in our room and for that reason we did not feel comfortable staying another night and requested our money back for the night we would not be staying. I was rudely and unapologetically told that they had a 48hr cancellation policy and that they would not refund my money. I argued, asked to speak to a manager. I was told that it was not possible to contact the manager at his home and that he would not be in until noon, so I asked to have him please call me so that I could discuss with him getting a refund for the night we did not stay. I was not asking for a full refund, just for the night we were not going to stay – a completely reasonable request in my opinion. To make a continuing story short, I did not receive a call, tried several times to contact the manager – unsuccessfully – took the issue up with Expedia, who was unable to provide me with a refund, so I contacted my credit card company, who did provide me with a refund and will now be continuing this fight for me with Expedia and the Hatchet Resort.

A mouse is not only an unsettling sight in your room, it’s also a health and safety concern, especially if you have pets or children. Mice are rodents and rodents carry diseases. Some of those diseases can be transmitted via saliva, so a mouse sharing your pets food or water could lead to a dangerously sick pet. If your children are crawling on the floor, be careful they don’t then put those hands in their mouths. It wasn’t until after I saw the mouse that I noticed the mouse trap behind the toilet. As another reviewer noted – also seeing a mousetrap in his room did not inspire confidence. Well, rightly so – I actually saw the mouse. So it depends on what you want to have confidence in. I assure you you can be confident that there are more than mouse traps in those rooms, there are actually mice. It’s like the old question, what came first, the chicken or the egg? In this case the mouse came before the mouse trap, and the mouse is still there. And I cringe to think about someone’s child playing in the room, exploring, and putting a finger in one of those mouse traps, or your poor dogs little nose…

Please, I urge you not to stay at this “resort”. They do not deserve to remain in business, nor do they deserve your hard earned money. Not only are their rooms a health and safety concern, but their customer service policy is utterly abysmal. I’ve never even imagined that I could be treated like that by individuals working in the hospitality business. They do not care at all about their customers. I am sure there are plenty of other lodges in the Jackson/Teton area who care about their customers and strive to provide a quality lodging experience. Avoid this place…

Room Tip: A room without a mouse would be nice.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Rich M
Reviewed August 22, 2012

My faimly and I stayed in the Hatchet Resort for one night in between Cheyenne and Yellowstone, and one night was enough. Great location, the road construction in and around the Hatchet was bad. The rooms were ok, they had upgraded the bath room not bad. There was a strange odor however, something like construction adhesive

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The picture is misleading, as there are only a few places like this on the property. We got one of the last "motel" rooms online. No hairdryer or room coffee machines which my husband says is due to the all wood construction is a "safety feature"??? Over-priced restaurant for breakfast, although the meal was okay. Gas overpriced by 50 cents a gallon. We arrrived about 10 pm, and thought we had missed it completely, until we asked a road crew truck if we had passed it. Neon signs did "loom" eventually along the highway, but was much further than we anticipated from the park entrance. Faded room curtains, and obviously the room bathroom had not been cleaned as there was soap from the previous guest, and coffee in the sink. Behind one of the beds was what I thought was underwear, but turned out to be the last guest's cap. Bed extemely hard - glad we only had to stay about 12 hours... My husband quite liked the "set-up" - would probably be great for a mens' retreat if half the price.

Room Tip: Perhaps the cabins would have been lots better???
1  Thank LoveScenicTravel
Reviewed August 12, 2012

My husband and I took a three week vacation in July and I was trying to save money when I made this reservation. I was a little unsure about the place when I read some of the reviews but decided to give it a try. That was a mistake. It was rustic and neat from the outside but once we entered our room we were very disappointed. The bedding and curtains were faded and the beds uncomfortable (Having two queen beds made it a little better since we could at least move around without disturbing each other.) The pillows had an "old" smell to them for lack of a better discription. When my husband set down in one of the chairs he was stuck by a wire sticking out of the cushion. When I asked about wi-fi I was told there would be a $3 fee (daily)...forget that! All of that was bad enough but the thing that bothered me the most was the skimpy bathroom curtain. Not only was it too small to cover the window but you could see through it. I solved the problem by using three towels to cover the window.
The bedside hotel book had the menu and prices for the on-site restaurant but when we ate breakfast everything was two dollars more than the book stated. The food itself was not too bad but the coffee was only lukewarm even when the waitress brought a second cup.
There was really nothing we enjoyed about our experience there. Even at a lower price than many other hotels it was overpriced for what they offer.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JustmeTennessee
Reviewed August 12, 2012

This is they type of place that is usually follwed by "Value Inn". However, the price doesn't reflect the value part. I stayed at an America's Best Value Inn before with similar results. Bugs on the walls, dirty, thin walls, old thin sheets and blankets. The cabinets and drawers were broken. Just a horrible place!

If it wasn't 10:30 when we checked in we would have never stayed here. Don't stay here by choice! There are many poor reviews on this place for a reason.

The manager is a complete imbecile who could care less if his customers are taken care of. I always give a company a chance to make things right when I get poor service or products. He didn't even try and seemed to thrive on making a bad situation worse.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank freej9876
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Avoid this place. The manager was surly, there was no soap or shampoo and not even a drinking glass in the room. Next morning there was no hot water -- I shampooed in cold. The beds are hard. They now close their Cafeteria at 6:00 p.m. and you have to go to a new "high-class" eatery where the meals are over-priced and poor. This used to be a nice place (before 2012) but it has gone to the dogs. They are only interested in money, not service. The prices are the same as the Jackson Lake Lodge cabins and higher than the Colter Bay cabins. Go there instead.

Room Tip: Don't choose any room.
1  Thank Thomas F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moran
Heart Six Guest Ranch
Headwaters Lodge & Cabins at Flagg Ranch
Headwaters Lodge & Cabins at Fla...
#7 of 16 in Grand Teton National Park
Jackson Lake Lodge
Jackson Lake Lodge
#4 of 16 in Grand Teton National Park
Luton's Teton Cabins

Been to Hatchet Resort? Share your experiences!