“Packhorse Week of Discovery”

Swift Creek Outfitters & Teton Horseback Adventures
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Moran
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

I chose Outfitter Heith Hill because I didn't just want to take a trail ride in the Teton Wilderness (Don't get me wrong, they do great trail rides too.), I wanted a Wilderness Adventure and by God he delivered just that. For five days, he took us with a string of pack mules and horses across countless streams, meadows, and through mountain passes with views so spectacular not even a camera can capture the full awesome beauty of it all. Each night we dined by an open campfire and the next morning struck out on the trail to another destination more breathtaking than the last. At one point, we were in the most remote location in all of the lower 48 states. Nowhere else could I have safely enjoyed the pleasure and experience of refilling my drink bottle from spring-fed mountain streams. Before this, I have always looked at pictures and read about such scenic vistas as this but seeing unspoiled country firsthand like this was far grander than I had ever imagined. Teton Horseback Adventures is the real thing. If you want to discover some of the beauty and wonder explorers like Bridger, Powell, and mountain men and trappers extolled there was to see out west then the Teton Wilderness trip is what you want to plan for. It's the journey of a lifetime.

All reviews
"elk horn"
in 3 reviews
"western experience"

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Planned on a trail ride with the family and called to book. No answer after several attempts, but the phone message indicated that if our party was less than 8 people, there was no need to make a reservation. Made the drive from Jackson and up the little dirt road, but when we arrived, we were told there would be no rides that day because the trails were too muddy. The woman who told us this was rude, essentially acting like we were stupid for even expecting to go on a trip.

Date of experience: August 2014
Reviewed August 18, 2014

We found this company online and then picked up their leaflet in Colter Bay village where we were staying.
It takes a while to get there on a dirt road but was so worth it. Lovely friendly guide in her 20's who informed us about wildlife and flowers along the trail. It was the first time for our boys on a horse so we took the one hr ride which was perfect. The horses are incredibly sure footed and very well trained. Highlight: going through the creek up to our feet whilst riding. See photo!!

Highly recommend this company.

Date of experience: July 2014
Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

My family of 6 had a great time horseback riding here on August 7. Although the trails were too wet for the Teton view ride (mud too slick on hills for the horses) we really had fun on our 2 hour ride through the forest, valleys, and creeks. The horses were great and our guide was very friendly! We would definitely recommend this activity and would come back again!

See more reviews
Reviewed August 13, 2014

I had sworn off horses after a bad experience in the past, but our kids (17 and 19) really wanted to go so I gave in and I'm so glad I did. Mark was a great guide and all of our horses were just wonderful. We did the two hour tour and it was just our family with the guide. Beautiful scenery, everyone had a great time, and I'm so glad we did it. It was well worth the drive from Jackson. Definitely one of the high points of our trip!

Date of experience: August 2014