“Great RV Park” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Moran
Kingston, Tennessee
“Great RV Park”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I booked the reservation based on online comparisons to other campgrounds in both parks. I didn't check to see if cell service and internet were available. They weren't, but cell service wasn't under their control. I was disappointed to find that the wireless internet wasn't working in the Lodge. One of the main reasons I chose Flagg Ranch was because they offered trail rides but when I inquired they no longer did. They pointed us to Sheffield Creek, just south of Flagg Ranch where we were taken on the best trail ride and the highlight of our trip for me. I later found out that Flagg Ranch had been purchased by Vail Resorts and a lot of things had changed.

Even with all these things I still gave Flagg Ranch a "Very Good" rating because we drove to each of the other RV campgrounds in both Yellowstone and the Tetons and compared them. The sites at Flagg Ranch were open and spacious in a very natural setting, which is what we look for in a campground. The other RV campgrounds that would accommodate our RV were either stacked together like sardines or the sites were just a wider spot next to the side of the road. The trade off on cell service and/or internet just didn't cut it.

So if you're looking for a nice RV campground located in one of the parks, this is the place to stay. There are other very nice campgrounds outside either Park. But considering the length of the drive to get to any area of interest, Flagg Ranch is by far the best campground.

1 Thank Angel M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Turkish first
Santa Fe, Texas, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in one of their new Camper Cabins for two nights in June. The cabin was new, roomy and clean. The mattresses on the bed were uncomfortably hard. There is no electricity in the cabin. Honestly for the price, we should have just tent camped. The grounds were clean but we did have a problem with the restrooms. The men's restroom was dirty and out of toilet paper during our visit. The women's restroom was clean but again ran out of toilet paper. I filled out a survey they sent after our stay and I did receive a response from the manager addressing the bathroom issue.

The first night when we returned to our cabin we found an RV parked, blocking the drive to the cabin. They were told to park there but it did not appear to be an RV spot, looked like a campsite. They did move the next day.

Headwaters is located between the two parks. We had already visited Yellowstone and in hindsight we would have liked to stay further down in the Tetons. This would be a better location if you wish to explore both YNP and GTNP from one location.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank zookyla
Lincoln, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Although the Cabin was wonderfully designed and decorated, it was NOT on the river as presented. Additionally, there was no internet, or TV...this may be a plus for some but, not for us.

Very expensive ($286/night) for a place to stay in the Yellowstone/Grand Teton Park area. For the price, the extras of "luxury" accommodations are clearly lacking.

The restaurant in the lodge is equally underwhelming especially for the price!

Avoid this place if you have other options...unfortunately we did not.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Joeandkathy789
Denpasar Bali
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed in the RV park. We used a tent space and also a drive through RV space. Full electric, sewer, and water hook ups for the RV. Some of the sites are near the road but you can request a site away from the road. Staff is friendly and helpful. Fairly wooded and natural setting. Convenience store sells basic supplies and groceries. The lodge has a full service restaurant for meals. Gasoline and propane sold at the property. Great location for visiting both Tetons and Yellowstone (in between both parks).

Our kids enjoyed playing at the Snack River. Two river access points are nearby. Good hiking / walking nearby.

Two bathrooms are available in the campground. One was recently renovated and in very good condition. The eastern bathroom is in need of renovation now.

Campground was clean and fairly quiet. We stayed in this park for 5 nights.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank IndonesiaLongTerm
Fishers, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We had planned a 2 week trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons 6 to 7 months prior to the trip. As part of the planning Headwaters Lodge looked ideal from a location standpoint for camping. We rented an RV site and my parents rented a camper cabin.

Pros: Location:
The location of the campground is ideal if you plan to visit Jackson, WY, (about 1 hour south), Grand Tetons (20 min south) and Yellowstone (south gate about 10 min North).

Cons: Poor service, campground condition
The level of service and responsiveness was terrible. I reserved the site 6 months prior to arrival and because of "system issues" they could not send me an email confirmation. I called several times over the following few months - still same issues. I called 60 days prior to arrival because I was concerned I had no confirm number. They had lost my reservation - it was in the "abandon reservation" file. Fortunately they still had space to get us in (and they sent an email with the confirm). When we arrived they had my last name wrong but finally found us and checked us in (the office for the campground is a small shack compared to the check-in for the cabins in the lodge). The day before we were to leave the front desk called me (we were in Jackson and had cell service) to tell me I needed to pay my bill and give them a CC number over the phone. I told them we were still there for one more day and had already paid. When we returned to the campground I stopped by the desk - it turns out they had a third reservation under my name. the front desk associate assured me they would take care of it. We left early the next morning. While driving through Jackson I finally got cell service and got a voicemail from the lodge from 8:30 the night before (no cell service in the campground) they needed my physical credit card to give me a refund for the third reservation - no idea why they could not have walked over). I called them from the road and told them I had already left. They said they would look into and call me back. After several hours not hearing from them I called them back - no one answered. I called on and off for the next 8 hours and no one ever answered the phone. I left a message - and no one ever called me back.

Outside of that horrible service and follow-through - one of the bathrooms was under renovation (really needed it), the other one was in bad shape, the grounds are very dusty - very little vegetation and the laundry machines were constantly in dis-repair.

So I would avoid this location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank PDEAK
Dixon, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

As described in their webpage, the camper cabin has no light, no electricity, no bathroom. I would say they are honest, but comparing with the $75 cabin in Lake Lodge, Yellowstone, where there is a small bathroom with shower, lights, electric heater and electricity to recharge my camera, this $70 cabin is obviously overpriced. The cabin is pretty new. Some people said they were built in 2012 and I believe so. It's clean (a little dust on the floor should be expected) but with the kind of bad smell of new furniture.
BTW, I'm not an employee of the Lake Lodge.

1 Thank ChemyRabbit
Kuala Lumpur
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Our stay was for 3 nights, June 9 to June 12, booked through Expedia for USD 794.22
Room Deluxe cabin - Bed & Breakfast

Includes: Full Breakfast

Reserved for
Hoe Yoon Chang
2 adults

Upon checking in, I inquired regarding the breakfast that was included as stated in the confirmation email I received from Expedia. However I was told by the check-in agent Kristen that breakfast is NOT included. However, I insisted to the agent that I was sure that it was included, but as the hotel's WIFI was out of order, I could not immediately retrieve my email to show her. She did not offer to call Expedia to confirm the breakfast was included.

At dinner, I went to the reception to show Kristen the email confirmation that full breakfast was included in the package, whereupon she checked with the Supervisor, and this was confirmed. I asked how it could have shown on my check-in that breakfast was not included. The explanation given to me was that the "Expedia Reservations" and the "Headwaters Lodge Reservations" systems were not communicating properly. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE TO ME. If there was any suspicion that the 2 systems were not compatible, then it should have been verified right away when I checked in. If I was unable to show them the email, then my wife and I would have been denied breakfast which we were entitled to, or we would have to pay for it.

The Hotel's WIFI was not working although it showed a full signal; the reason given was that the router was out of order, as other reviews have also confirmed. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE A ROUTER TO BE FIXED/INSTALLED???

The daily cleaning of the room was not satisfactory, with towels and tissue not properly replenished, and I had to call for replenishment. The reason given was that they did not have enough staff then! This is ridiculous for the amount of money we paid for 3 nights, USD794.22

I could not find an email address for Headwaters Lodge to send in my review/complaint, and my email to Expedia a week ago has still not been responded to.

Hoe Yoon Chang
Itinerary # 1583-5600-5703

Room Tip: There were swarms of mosquitoes waiting for us each night. The hotel should provide some sort of re...