“Great family place”
Review of Gas Lite Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Laramie
Gas Lite Motel
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Laramie
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Totally unique, comfortable, and peaceful hotel. Our daughters (3rd and 4th graders) absolutely love it here. Each room has unique paintings and western memorabilia. Outside has flowers and loads of unique western artwork - even on the roof. My husband and daughters stayed several days two weeks ago while on a Daddy/daughters see Yellowstone trip and the family had to bring me out here just to see and stay at this hotel. They have an indoor heated pool that is also uniquely decorated. We highly recommend staying here. The management is wonderful and we were blessed to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank thetroutwhisperer

Reviewed April 16, 2010

Upon arrival in Laramie, we went to the visitor’s center to obtain information about Laramie. We asked about motels, specifically we wanted to stay in a locally owned motel. The young lady working there was so helpful, giving us lots of information about Laramie, including where to eat and what sights to see. When we told her we preferred staying in a locally owned motel, she suggested the Gas Lite. She told us it was quite funky with lots of fake animals in the parking lot, but that it was clean. We took her suggestion and upon arrival we asked to see a room. It was just what we were looking for and the price was right (about $65). See the photos attached to see the animals I am talking about. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2009

We stayed one night at the Gaslight on a cross country trip. Our dog was with us and was entirely at home at the motel. The office people were efficient and courteous and when engaged in conversation were quite happy to tell us about all the statuary. This is one of the reasons we chose the hotel. It is definitely a throwback to the days of garish motels that attracted customers just passing by. So camp we loved it immediately. The other reason was they accept pets and are listed by AAA. Room was clean and serviceable with a handpainted western saloon mural on the wall, complete with dance hall girls. We slept well.
If I have one bad thing to say it would be the lack of good exercise space for pets. This is a commercial area with very little space for pets to do their thing. Fortunately our little Boston was not picky and likes to "own" the land she walks on.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2009

This motel was great. It was clean and the service was outstanding. It was away from the Highway so no noise. i loved it. Five Stars!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2009

If you need a place to stay in Laramie, WY, don't pick the Gas Lite Motel based on the outward charming country appearance. We needed a place to stay that took pets. This motel claimed to be AAA motel and it even had the AAA on the huge sign outside, so we figured if AAA said it was a good place to stay, it couldn't be that bad, right? Wrong!

The owners seemed nice, they had a couple of dogs themselves and also cats. The office smelled of urine. I should have turned around the minute I walked in the office to get our room & to pay for the reservations I made. When I smelled the urine in the office I thought, oh...it's probably because they have animals, (even though my home doesn't smell that way & I have animals.) It probably smells that way cause there is really no place to let your dogs go to the bathroom on the grounds other than this very small strip next to a pine tree. 4ft long by 2 ft. wide.

When they said, they had continental breakfast, I thought it would be a cold day before I would even drink out of a paper cup here with that smell of urine...yuck.

The motel room was old, the sitting chairs had stains (yuck). The bathroom had a tile floor, but the grout was yucky & missing in several areas. I was afraid to take a shower. The box spring mattress had spills on them that was next to the night table. You could see this as the top of the mattress moved a bit, and if you looked down, you could see the yucky top of the box spring mattress. I felt like I could possibly get bed bugs. Even thought the sheets were really white & clean, the box springs looked dirty & wrong. The pillows were old & flat. The carpet was cheap and appeared not to be tacked down very well as it had ripples in it, like it hadn't been stretched to fit the room. I couldn't wait to leave the next morning. We got up, got dressed and left the minute the sun rose.

I even went & bought water at the store as I didn't want to drink from the faucet.

There were pigeons everywhere, along with their droppings. Which was totally disgusting. When we got out of our car, birds started flying everywhere overhead. I felt like I was in Alfred Hitchcock's movie "The Birds". How scary. I was really worried about my dog picking up a disease from the bird poop. There was a small dirt area by a tree that was about 4 ft long by 2 ft wide for the dogs to do their duties, but the rest of the grounds were cement. There was really no area for the dogs to do their duty. We had to walk through the pigeon droppings to get there. I couldn't wait to get home to give my dog a bath. I didn't want him licking his paws at all till I could get home to bathe him. Needless to say, when our dog had to go to the potty, we got in the car and drove to a park we found 2 blocks away, let him do his duty, picked up his mess and put it in a trash can nearby. When we came back to the room from doing this, we realized that the room smelled terrible of old urine. Guess we didn't smell it at 1st because the heat wasn't on, but once the room warmed up, it was a nasty smell. The pigeons were so unsanitary. The whole place should be closed by the health department.

I will sleep in my car before I ever stay at this place. Horrible experience. My skin still feels like I have critters crawling all over me.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Campergal50
Reviewed August 16, 2008

My husband and I are on a 5 month motorcycle trip throughout the US and we were traveling through Wyoming, heading West. We were being careful with our budget, and trying to save money on lodging, when we couldn't camp due to weather or other issues. We found the Gas Lite Motel online, and decided to stay based upon the reviews of other travelers who had been there.. We rolled into town early in the day and located the Gas LIte quite easily, as it is on the main road, as soon as we got to Laramie on US30/287. There is a Safeway supermarket and a Shari's restaurant within walking distance.

The motel is unique, as other's have written, with cowboy statuary and eclectic art throughout the grounds. Our hostess, Maria, is a friendly, accomodating woman, and all of our dealings with her were efficient and pleasant.

The grounds need a good sweeping, as the parking lot is littered with trash and cigarette butts and is home to a large flock of pidgeons. This older motel is in a rundown part of Laramie, but I must say it is the best kept one in that area.

Our room was clean, though the carpets need to be shampooed. The furniture is older, but serviceable, and the king sized bed we had in room 34 was comfortable and firm. The room has a microwave, fridge, and DVD player, though our DVD player was defective. The water is hot and the water pressure is good. The towels are good, but remember to bring your own shampoo, as nothing is provided other than a couple of very small bars of soap. Morning coffee with pastry is available in the lobby. There is a heated pool onsite, but we didn't use it.

Our room was next to the linen supply room. Beware when choosing a room, because our area was noisy in the morning, when the housekeeping staff gathered their supplies to clean the rooms and conferred with each other as to their daily workload.

We ended up staying at the Gas Lite 3 nights, due to a freak cold spell with hail and snow in the Laramie area. I need to mention that I had some safety concerns while I was here, due to seeing and hearing some questionable types of people loitering, drinking or passing through the grounds later in the evening. This motel is also rented to some folks for extended stays, similar to a Studio 6 or other extended stay motels.

Overall, we would probably not stay here again, but it had more to do with the area, than with the motel itself. This motel, in a better part of town, would be a real find, especially at the $57.50 price tag.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 31, 2008

Very cute with plenty of western statue and the flowers were great to see and smell. Clean and comfortable room with western artt work. Very reasonable for what you get.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)