“Late one Tuesday evening”
Review of J’s Steakhouse

J’s Steakhouse
Ranked #27 of 109 Restaurants in Laramie
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Once driving from Baker City, OR and getting checked-in at a nearby hotel, a hot dinner was in order. We were in Laramie a few days earlier and a hotel clerk recommended we try J’s Steakhouse. We arrived quite late on a Tuesday evening, but J’s were still open. It was very slow as you’d expect and the staff was beginning to clean up some of the dining areas.

Both tables and booths are available giving J’s a family-oriented look, of not much appeal. Bread was served as we looked over the menu and wine and beer were ordered -- Michelob Amber Bock on-tap.

Dad ordered a Strip Steak and I a Rib Steak. Several choices of side dishes are offered. Both our meals were quite good, but not fantastic. Prices were average for family-oriented restaurants and the service was adequate, but it was late.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

We've dined at J's Steakhouse a couple of times now and I feel that they are almost there, but not quite.
1. The menu is limited, which means you can either have a lower priced small steak or a much higher than I want to pay for this type of atmosphere steak. There is no middle of the road pricing.
2. The atmosphere does not match the "high end" feel that I think they are going for. The light fake wood panels and tables still SCREAM Village Inn. Table clothes would be a vast improvement. Darken the ugly fake panels with a coat of paint (chalk board paint to display the specials at the front door might be a cool look), but really, anything to take away that diner feel would make me more willing to pay more for a high dollar meal.
3. The waitstaff I've had on all of my visits have been very friendly. When you look at the quality of servers in all of Laramie, you will find that the attitude tends to lean towards snotty, irritated that they have *gasp* customers!, or "I've delivered your food, you'll never seen me again. J's Steakhouse did NOT give us this experience. On our last visit, our waiter was excellent and when he was delivering food, another person on staff stopped and filled our coffee at brunch without hesitation. Backing each other up instead of that "every man for himself" attitude was refreshing.
4. The Chislick (I'm not sure how to spell it) on the appetizer menu is AMAZING!
5. The steak I had, and the chicken fried chicken were both delicious. The veggies were soggy though, frozen and reheated. The salad could use some spinach, spring greens, something a little fancier