“Hands on fun”

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Hands on fun”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

There is abundant land and fun for walkers, climbers, hikers of any skill level. And not so crowded and littered like Colorado.

Visited June 2013

Laramie, Wyoming
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Vedawoo”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is one of my family's favorite places on the whole earth! You can rock climb, hike, picnic, enjoy the Wyoming outdoors and share happy times with friends and even people who are nearby, making new friends.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Jeanne V
Laramie, Wyoming
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Vedauwoo”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

A beautiful area of stone formations - especially of interest to rock climbers, but nice to stop for a picnic or short hike

Visited June 2013
Willow Grove, PA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Hidden natural gem near Laramie”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I'd never heard of Vedauwoo (pronounced VEE-da-voo) until I searched for things to do in Laramie, and I am so glad I found this wonderful natural area. The site, a unit of the Wind River-Routt National Forest isolated out in the Wyoming plains, is a collection of low, eroded granite hills whose rocky tops have been exposed. The fantastically weathered landscape boasts bare stone hills and boulders--a well-known mecca for rock climbers and bouldering enthusiasts. My wife and I walked the easy 3-mile Turtle Rock Trail that encircles some of the most impressive of the scenery, which also includes a picturesque stream, beaver ponds, and (when we visited in mid-July) plenty of beautiful wildflowers. There are also picnic facilities, restrooms, and developed campsites available. A $5/car day-use fee is required to enter Vedauwoo.

Two notes: While the hills support a thin coniferous forest, there is almost no shade anywhere, so come prepared with sunscreen. And, even though the hills are exposed, they are at 7,300 feet in elevation so they remain relatively cool even during the summer.

My only beef is about the trail signage on the Turtle Rock Trail. Once hikers get away from the developed picnic/camping/climbing area, the trail is obvious and easy to follow. But within the developed area, locating and following the trail can be a real challenge even with the well-maintained signs the forest service has erected. My wife and I almost gave up in exasperation because we just couldn't figure out where to go at several trail junctures, but we decided to persevere and are so glad that we did because some of the best views are away from the developed area. I don't know what to suggest to visitors who encounter this problem because other TripAdvisor reviewers have made similar comments; count on a little confusion if you decide to hike.

Vedauwoo was the highlight of our trip to southeastern Wyoming. If you're interested in natural areas, beautiful scenery, solitude, and wildflowers with relatively easy access, don't miss it!

Visited July 2013
6 Thank Scott_McCandless
“Quick hike with the kids!”
Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Great sight seeing and an easy in and out with your vehicle. As we were driving out we saw two moose eating about 15 feet from the trail.

Visited July 2013

Been to Vedauwoo? Share your experiences!