“History and Great Food Too!”

Cavalryman Steakhouse
Ranked #19 of 114 Restaurants in Laramie
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Cavalryman Steakhouse is located on the grounds of historic Fort Sanders, established in July of 1866. In its heyday, the Fort Sanders Military Reservation protected the Overland and Lodgepole Creek emigrant routes, the Denver-Salt Lake City stage route, and the construction crews for the Union Pacific Railroad. Ruins of the fort’s powder keg are visible just southwest of the restaurant’s main building. The Cavalryman building was constructed in 1925 to serve as the clubhouse for the local country club. Just to the east, remnants of the nine-hole golf course can still be found.
Reviewed September 14, 2014

The Cavalryman is located on the historic site of Fort Sanders just south of Laramie Wyoming on US Highway 287. This is a very pleasant location for a fine western style meal of beef, bison and/or seafood. The menu items are chef inspired by the western location and local lore. They offer several specials that change every few days. The Soda Bread is made from a recipe that is 160 years old. The service was excellent and friendly. This is a great place for the family gatherings, friends to meet or a romantic dinner. They are open daily at 4 pm.
The walls of the restaurant are covered with historic photographs from the Laramie Plains area and southern Wyoming. The old fort, railroad, politics, ranching, etc. are all represented. The wait staff have been well educated in the history and will answer your questions.
Fort Sanders was a wooden fort constructed in 1866 on the Laramie Plains in southern Wyoming, near the city of Laramie. Originally named Fort John Buford, it was renamed Fort Sanders after General William P. Sanders who died at the Siege of Knoxville during the American Civil War. This was the second fort to be named after Sanders, the first being in Knoxville, Tennessee. The fort was originally intended to protect travelers on the nearby Overland Trail from Indian attacks, but later the garrison was tasked with protecting the workers of the Union Pacific railroad when it arrived in the spring of 1868. In 1869 the town of Laramie (originally called "Laramie City") was created about 3 miles (4.8 km) north of the fort. Fort Sanders became less important following the construction of Fort D. A. Russell in Cheyenne in 1868, but the War Department maintained it until 1882 when the buildings were sold.

1  Thank 617debrah
The_Cavalryman_II, General Manager at Cavalryman Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2014

We love our Wyoming history - glad you do too!

If you want to see an old fort building that was sold and repurposed, check out the children's museum on the southeast corner of La Bonte Park in Laramie. Very cool!

Reviewed September 7, 2014 via mobile

We had a business dinner here on our last night in Laramie. The setting was OK not elegant. We were seated near the bar area. Which was quiet on a Tuesday night. I had the Buffalo rib eye and found it the my liking. Others had steak and risotto and liked it pretty well. The service was good and attentive. Pricey but a good meal.

1  Thank Bill F
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Passing through town we were hungry for a good steak, so we stopped in. They were only about 1/4 full, yet service was slowwww. We later saw that our waitress was actually the bartender and was chatting with friends at the bar most of the time. She wasn't familiar with the menu and only offerred one side (dinner came with two)

We ordered Rocky Mountain Oysters for an app....very heavy batter. Give them a C-

My friend had tenderloin, which was cooked properly, tender, and a pretty good steak. I had a strip steak which I ordered medium rare. It came out almost well done. Dry, tasteless, not a good steak at all. When the waitress did eventually come by to ask how the food was I explained it was not cooked properly.

The manager came to address the concerns. Granted, I will not eat anything out of a kitchen I complain about. She offered to bring me another steak and I declined, she offered a dessert instead. We're not big dessert eaters so I declined that as well. There was no offer to reduce the meal or take it off the bill. I ate about 1/3 of the steak.

In my opinion if I'm paying almost $30 for a steak, I would expect it to be cooked properly.

1  Thank Danroys
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We dined at the Cavalryman on a Friday evening and it was moderately busy, but the noise level from the many families dining was comfortable. Service was great and the steaks were delicious, though I'd recommend ordering medium if you normally order medium rare. Believe the menu instructions! I thought the meal was a very good value and would definitely return.

1  Thank Billion_Miler
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Thty reopened recently, so we decided to try it out, after some type of remodel which was hard to notice. Should have gone anyplace else. Granted we did not have a steak as our last steaks were as so many restaurant steaks, pre cut to a weight and always very thin so hard to get much flavor. We both decided on risotto disses as we were told that their new chef was doing some nice Italian dishes. What a mistake. I had risotto with a chic hen breast and my wife with salmon. Her salmon was okay, my chicken breast had to have been precooked and rewarmed, Extremely tough. The risotto was the worst I have ever tasted, reminded one of wall paper paste in taste and consistency. The salads though were pleasant and the service fine, except the servers need trained on how to properly serve. The wine is went way downhill from before they closed, almost laughable. Easy to see why it is rated as low as it is. Hard even to recommend another option for "fine" dining. Not sure that exists in Laramie.