“Great Improvement. The weal was fine”

Cavalryman Steakhouse
Ranked #16 of 109 Restaurants in Laramie
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Cavalryman Steakhouse is located on the grounds of historic Fort Sanders, established in July of 1866. In its heyday, the Fort Sanders Military Reservation protected the Overland and Lodgepole Creek emigrant routes, the Denver-Salt Lake City stage route, and the construction crews for the Union Pacific Railroad. Ruins of the fort’s powder keg are visible just southwest of the restaurant’s main building. The Cavalryman building was constructed in 1925 to serve as the clubhouse for the local country club. Just to the east, remnants of the nine-hole golf course can still be found.
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My wife and I tried the restaurant again after a friend said that she went there and things had really changed and was she ever right. The minority owners bought out whoever and made great changes. There is no ala carte menu anymore. With our meal we got the battered mushrooms, done right, not soggy like before, a nice salad, a choice of a side, vegetables, done correctly, and our main course. Prices have come way down. 8 oz prime rib was $17 and my steak not much more. The service was good, we had different people at our table, everything went well. The wine list is small but adequate and reasonably priced. We'll be back and with luck so will others. Finally a nicer place to eat when in Laramie.

The_Cavalryman_II, Manager at Cavalryman Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Thanks for giving us another try! We are working hard to provide a proper Wyoming steakhouse experience - with friendly staff, affordable prices (although we do have some special meals that are high priced for people celebrating special occasions), and consistently high food and service quality.

Look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed April 10, 2013

After reading the other reviews, I was not sure about giving this a try, but we're visiting Laramie for the first time so wanted to try to something local. We weren't disappointed - great food, great service, reasonable time to get our food even with a really large group right ahead of us. And fun atmosphere for a steakhouse. Management must be working to fix the issues other reviewers have identified.

2  Thank AkFlowers
The_Cavalryman_II, Manager at Cavalryman Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

We're glad you enjoyed yourself! The restaurant has made substantial strides in food and service quality and consistency. We still have lots of work to do, but we're certainly as good or better now as any other restaurant in town. And we're loving getting the local history back into the place! If you'd like to keep current with our progress, like us on facebook.

We've just soft launched our new, lower priced menu that is focused on providing local and regional beef, as well as bison and other mountain steakhouse traditional food. And we're expanding and improving our nightly feature menu to include daily fresh fish and creative, funky seasonal chef features.

Look forward to seeing you in Laramie again soon!

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We looked forward to going to the "new" Cav having been fans of the original restaurant. It was somewhat of a disappointment. The interior is still a bit "in the process" and it just was not up to the quality of the cost of the meals. I had the 12 oz prime rib, and I question if it was a full 12, it seemed small and thin. My husband had the 14 oz ribeye and I believe it looked a bit thin as well. I would expect a thick cut of either, especially considering the cost. Mine was not a $29 meal. I had the french onion soup and it was excellent, but other diners had salad. Yellowing iceberg is not acceptable for a meal of the caliber the restaurant is trying to represent. Our server was young and inexperienced, but he was very pleasant and he worked hard at good service.

1  Thank Michele6364
The_Cavalryman_II, Manager at Cavalryman Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear Michele,

We agree that the restaurant is still not where it needs to be. We’re working hard to finish the interior: we’re preparing the old entrance to become the new entrance, we’re re-opening the traditional bar (upstairs), and we’re replacing/refinishing various fixtures inside; when it warms up, we’ll focus on the outside, too. That said, it seems to take forever to get it all done (a lot more time than we’re happy with!). But we're hoping that in the next two weeks it should be largely finished. Regardless, we’re sorry that the facilities detracted from your meal.

Our prime rib and ribeye steaks are hand cut in house from prime beef ribs brought in from a ranch in northern Colorado. A significant challenge when running those kinds of ribs is that they can vary in diameter quite a bit, so sometimes even a 12 or 14 oz steak looks thin. Other times, it’s very thick (depending on the diameter of that particular rib, and which end of the rib it’s cut from). Also, we still sometimes make mistakes when cutting – although now that our staff training includes weighing every steak, that’s pretty rare (no pun intended!).

Our iceberg lettuce lately has contained yellow leaves in the center. They are not from age, but from the season. However, we understand that they may not be the most attractive in your salad.

We’ve forwarded your comments to our kitchen staff, and they are undertaking a review of the rib cutting and lettuce storage/grading procedures to insure all are optimized.

Most importantly, we are preparing to lower the prices now that we’ve been able to take full control of the restaurant and improve our supply and reduce waste. Our intention is to provide excellent steaks and service in a casual, Wyoming-friendly atmosphere. We look forward to seeing you again soon and doing a much better job for you!

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We made reservations a week ago by the fireplace which we did get seated right away at a table by the fire it was nice and cozy. Took along time to get even a glass of water. Once we got water we ordered drinks which took quit a while to get. We did finally place our order which we were ready to order right away. Waited long time to get our salads or even the complimentary soda bread. It was all new staff and a new manager. I ordered my steak medium well and it was burned. I ate it since I was so hungry. I did not leave hungry but it took two hours to get served and eat and leave probably 20 minutes to eat our meal. I had a mixed drink that cost $8 and it was so bad I could not drink it. Customer service is really a need here and proper training. Our waitress's service was about worth 3% not 15%. Would not really recommend until improve customer service and get properly trained staff. From the website prices I was expecting fine dining. Wait staff wore blue jeans and just a casual and I mean very casual top.

The_Cavalryman_II, Owner at Cavalryman Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Thanks for coming in - and sorry your experience wasn't excellent.

You're correct - we are in the process of revitalizing the restaurant. In December, we took over the historic property and it needed a lot of work. Since your visit, we've been able to expand our server staff and advance their training. While we're not yet up to a high standard, our servers are friendly and attentive and experiences like yours should not recur.

Just as importantly, we've been able to expand and train the kitchen staff so that our food quality is high and consistent. Again, it's not yet where we want it to be, but nearly all of our customers over the past month have been very happy.

We intend to provide appropriate branded shirts to our waitstaff. Until then, we've stopped requiring them to wear ties - it's just not Wyoming.

Again, sorry that you were caught at a low point in the restaurant's life. Let us know when you get back to Laramie and we'll provide you a much better experience!

Reviewed January 13, 2013

This is the worst place I have eaten at in YEARS on a multitude of levels (service, food, value). For starters (no pun intended), I asked for the hummus with fresh veggies w/pita for my appetizer. After 15", our came back and explained that hummus wasn’t on the menu anymore (it was still on their website the same night, however), but the “chef” said he/she would do put the appetizer together anyway. Another 15” later, I got carrot and cucumber sticks with a huge mound of hot, oily hummus. No pitas. And the hummus tasted like the tahini (sesame seed paste) was rancid. When I asked our waitress about the lack of pita wedges, she said she was clueless and went to check with the “chef.” After another 10”, she came back with five pieces of old, dry white bread. Twenty minutes later, my beet/greens salad arrived with my husband’s lukewarm prime rib. My salad greens were wilted and the blue cheese crumbles were lying like some primordial white “goo” on top. (I presume that, because the salad was on the same plate as my baked sweet potato, some moron had left the entire plate under the warming lights). To add insult to injury, I got tepid water with the "hot" tea I ordered. When our waitress asked if we wanted dessert, I almost told her I'd rather have a protologic exam "to go" (would have been a much better experience overall…and probably cheaper). Sadly, the restaurant has a lot of cool history and the decor is pretty nice -- too bad those positives are totally negated.

1  Thank CO_Mtn_Traveler
The_Cavalryman_II, Owner at Cavalryman Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Dear Friend,

As local minority owners in the restaurant we have also been frustrated by its decline over the past few years. We recently reached an agreement to take a controlling interest in the business and we're now returning it to its rightful place as an historic Wyoming steakhouse. You can follow our progress at our Facebook page and our web site or come in and have the experience you were looking for.