“I'm so sad right now I could cry.”

Cavalryman Steakhouse
Ranked #15 of 108 Restaurants in Laramie
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Cavalryman Steakhouse is located on the grounds of historic Fort Sanders, established in July of 1866. In its heyday, the Fort Sanders Military Reservation protected the Overland and Lodgepole Creek emigrant routes, the Denver-Salt Lake City stage route, and the construction crews for the Union Pacific Railroad. Ruins of the fort’s powder keg are visible just southwest of the restaurant’s main building. The Cavalryman building was constructed in 1925 to serve as the clubhouse for the local country club. Just to the east, remnants of the nine-hole golf course can still be found.
New Jersey
“I'm so sad right now I could cry.”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I've been going to the Cav for as long as I've been in Laramie, over three years. I go there at LEAST once a year, always around this time, and I've never, ever EVER been disappointed. Exactly a year ago I had the most amazing pork loin of my life. Six months before that I had elk for the first time ever. I've always had amazingly good food there.

But tonight was a first. I ordered prime rib, medium as was recommended, with a side of sweet mashed potatoes. I figured, I love sweet potato fries, so I would likely enjoy the mash. Wrong. It was WAY too sweet - I'm guessing they added sugar to it. They apparently added some sugar to my boyfriend's risotto as well....

Also, I don't like steak rare, and my steak was definitely med-rare. To be fair, I was warned that the prime rib runs on the rare side. But I always order med-well, except when it's recommended otherwise. My stomach is slightly unsettled at the moment and I'm worried it was the steak.

I'm guessing the usual chefs that I've enjoyed so much were not there tonight, and maybe aren't there anymore at all.

It's such a damn shame. Everything we've ever had there has been spectacular. Even the Caesar salad used to be amazing. Maybe it was a sign that when we arrived, there was only one other couple there, and no one else came the whole time we were there.

I'm just so depressed. My yearly highlight is dead. I don't know if I want to return again.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Regina P
The_Cavalryman_II, Owner at Cavalryman Steakhouse, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear Friend,

As local minority owners in the restaurant we have also been frustrated by its decline over the past few years. We recently reached an agreement to take a controlling interest in the business and we're now returning it to its rightful place as an historic Wyoming steakhouse. You can follow our progress at our Facebook page and our website, or come in and have the experience you were looking for.

Chicago, Illinois
“Terrible experience...”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We typically dine at The Cav every time we travel to Laramie. While our dining experience in October was not a good one, we decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. However, our terrible experience this week can not be overlooked. The restaurant was not busy; we had a reservation. There was only one server who was also tending the bar. We were informed that the bar was out of brandy, so we changed our drink orders to Crown--also out. Salads came with wrong dressings. After requesting, we received cold biscuits. Our prime rib were awful. When the waitress presented us with our bill and finally asked about our dinners, we told her that they were inedible (evidenced by our plates). While she apologized profusely, we were not compted in any way. This is it for us!

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank Mary M
Dear friend,

As local minority owners in the restaurant we have also been frustrated by its decline over the past few years. We recently reached an agreement to take a controlling interest in the business and we're now returning it to its rightful place as an historic Wyoming steakhouse. You can follow our progress at our Facebook page and our web site, or come in and have the experience you were looking for.