“Return of the carnivore” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 108 Restaurants in Laramie
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Denver, Colorado
“Return of the carnivore”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

I tend to approach vegetarian restaurants with a bit of suspicion- i am not into tree hugging and eating overcooked and tasteless greens served by an unkempt genderless creature but i have to come back on this cliche and gladly confess: this restaurant is awesome. If you are a foodie, you will love the Patty Melt (take the one with the beans) - enjoy the lasagna or the garlic hummus or really anything. We have enjoyed the food so much that we have returned from Yellowstone through Laramie just because of this restaurant, so i stand corrected!

Laramie, Wyoming
“Great for lunch or dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

We have lunch at Sweet Melissa's often, but we recently joined some friends for a Friday night dinner. The lunch choices were still there, but the dinner selections were also great. Vegetarian tacos, lasagna, and a sweet potato burrito were among our choices -- all very good! It can get a little noisy on weekends from the popular bar next door, but on the other hand, it allows them to serve a full range of drinks. We shared a pitcher of Snake River IPA and had a great time.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
MI
“Great Food, Great Location, Love It.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

Let me first say I am a hunter, love game meat and we eat what I harvest all the time. Having said that, this vegetarian restaurant is a place I could eat at every day. My wife and I stopped in for a late lunch after a morning of hiking in the mountains and had the Tapenade appetizer followed by the Grilled Humus Sandwich and Falafel Pita with Tahini and Cucumber Yogurt and a bowl of Gazpacho for good measure. All of it was excellent as was the service from Angela. The menu and daily specials are varied and mouthwatering just to read.

The location is old Laramie at its best; 1st Street next to the rail road tracks. Back in the day this street was somewhat of the Red Light District and the architecture is beautiful. After lunch we went next door to the Works of Wyoming art gallery and enjoyed the art and photos from local artists having just been well nourished from a great local restaurant. What a perfect way to enjoy an afternoon.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
“Vegetarian in Wyoming: who knew?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

This is a college hang out kind of place. We tried the lentil loaf, pizza, cauliflowers salad sandwich, lasagne, and tamale pie amongst the five of us. All was delicious, but the pizza is very small and not nearly the value as the other items. And unfortunately, that is what my 14 year old son ordered. Four tiny pieces did not cut it. Luckily he was able to finish up his sisters' food. We also ordered three desserts to split: key line pie, sour cream pumpkin (which was a cold pie), and fried banana bread with caramel sauce. They were all fantastic. We are not vegetarians, but we enjoy meatless dishes several times a week so this was great. Reasonably priced.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Sweet!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

Got caught in a downpour in downtown Laramie today. Ducked into Sweet Melissa's for a respite, a glass of wine and some good food. My server greeted me within 3-5 minutes and was a doll! Not sure what to order, I eavesdropped on a couple of locals. Taking their lead, i had a cup of chili and the cauliflower sandwich. Oh, yeah - how can i forget the organic chardonnay. It was wonderful. The chili was full of beans and very chunky. The sandwich was served open-faced on thinly sliced rye bread. The cauliflower was finely chopped and mixed with a little red onion and celery for a nice crunch. Then broiled with swiss cheese. I loved it. I'm going to try to make it at home. The restaurant is on a back-street, sort of. The trains run right over there. And, we were lucky enough that a big train came through while i was there. It helped to make the afternoon and the atmosphere. I'm glad I gave it a try. I travel for business in The Wild West and usually go carnivore while on the road. I switched it up and am glad for it.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Been to Sweet Melissa Cafe? Share your experiences!