“Heaven on earth in Jackson” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Flat Creek Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jackson
Flat Creek Ranch
GreenLeadersGold level
Fort Lee
“Heaven on earth in Jackson”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2010

This was our third consecutive visit to Flat Creek, and we have already booked our vacation for next year. It is truly one of the most majestic & beautiful places we have ever stayed. The cabins are clean & comfortable and the meals are truly 5 star. No one would leave without shedding a tear or wishing their stay could have been just a bit longer. If you like to Fly fish, hike, horseback ride, or just sit back & relax, this is the place for you. Book now and enjoy your stay. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank rgbeans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2010

Where do I start? The FCR is like no other place I've ever been. My family stayed at the ranch for four nights, arriving on a Monday afternoon and departing on Friday afternoon. It was just what we needed -- quality family time and an opportunity to enjoy nature’s incredible beauty and serenity. The FCR has a very interesting history, and one of the privileges of being a guest at the ranch is having Joe and Marcia--the owners and resident ranch historians share the history with you over dinner. The food at the ranch is simply terrific—the chefs Don and Kristen are top-grade. Freshly prepared, healthy, delicious meals--it's like having your own personal chef three times a day. Fresh coffee/tea is delivered to your door every morning --a very nice touch which my family appreciated. The cabins are very nice, clean and cozy--we loved them and the fresh mountain air had us sleeping like rocks every night. I can't say enough good things about the staff at FCR. It was clear to me that Joe & Marcia are picky about who they hire. Everyone has a great attitude, is service oriented, and just wants to make the guests happy. Special praise goes to Trey and Shelby (and their awesome dog Rio), who keep everything running well at the ranch, in addition to making terrific hike guides and fly fishing instructors. Let me give you an example of their service dedication. On day two we asked if they had any Smores ingredients at the ranch—you know-graham crackers, chocolate, marshmallows. They didn’t—it wasn’t a big deal to us, and we forgot about it. On our last night, Marcia announced that the guests were getting together for a bonfire after dinner. You guessed it—they had what we needed for Smores, and the whole group had a great time eating smores, making new friends and watching the beautiful sunset over the lake. What a terrific memory that is for us. Todd, the ranch hand also did a great job with the horse rides and took us through the prettiest country I’ve ever seen. In short, I can highly recommend the FCR to anyone who wants to get away from traffic, noisy restaurants, cell phones, texting (teenagers), and is looking to meet some very nice people and re-charge their batteries. It was just what the doctor ordered for my family, and I hope to return there someday. Thanks Joe, Marcia and staff for a wonderful stay, and thanks for preserving such a special place for others to enjoy.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank NebraskaBluejay
Santa Monica, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2010

You are greeted at the airport by members of the genial and knowledgeable staff and driven WAY out of town down a calamitous road. At the end of the drive, in the middle of seemingly unending wilderness, there is only one place, Flat Creek Ranch: a collection of comfortable cabins in the most gorgeous setting alongside a roaring river and pristine lake. You spend your days enjoying all that this beautiful location can offer, from horse back riding to fly fishing to canoeing and hiking. You don't have to have any experience as the staff is patient and expert at all of it. Yes, you will catch something, even if you've never held a rod before. And if you're already an expert, you get your gear and head out to find your own bend in the river. After working up your appetite, you head to the main lodge for an amazing banquet of family-style meal. Cabins are very comfortable with wood-burning stoves. A wonderful touch is that the staff brings a tray to your cabin in the morning with coffee, hot chocolate, or tea to get you going in the cold mountain air. We are not a particularly 'outdoorsy' family and my wife, two young kids and I LOVED this trip. Leave your Blackberry and your laptop at home and by all means, GO.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BruceLA
Lynn, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2009

Okay, what can I say but my goodness, this place is magical and thank you Trip Advisor and thank you to all of the reviewers who took the time to comment on their experience at Flat Creek Ranch. You inspired us to go there and I have been inspired to do the same for future travelers.

Flat Creek Ranch is truly an overall "feast" for a nature lover’s soul. .
I know you may be reading this thinking that I might be exaggerating just a bit but it is truly just the opposite. Words are inadequate to justly describe the feelings this wilderness sanctuary inspires.
I am so grateful to Joe and his wife Marcia for preserving this place and sharing its grandeur with likeminded people who seek to experience nature in its purest form.
From our first welcoming hello from owner, Joe to our last goodbye with fellow travelers at the ranch, the whole experience was enriching. We celebrated our 5th year wedding anniversary at the ranch while toasting with another couple who just that day got engaged on the lake. We also toasted another couple who were there to celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary by climbing to the top of the "Sleeping Indian". Good fortune was with us as we all very much enjoyed each other’s company as we shared meals and stories together.
Okay so this much I know is true about our experience at Flat Creek Ranch:
The road getting to Flat Creek is a challenge and I am grateful that we opted for the owner, Joe, to pick us up and transport us.
The owners, Joe and Marcia, are committed to preserving the integrity of this land. I found them to be wonderful story tellers as they shared the unbelievable history attached to Flat Creek Ranch along with the colorful lives of its founders.
The meals are quite delicious, really excellent.
The managers, Shelby and Tray are true professionals and are committed to making your experience at the ranch one that you will always remember.
The trout fishing catch and release is promising for even the most challenged fly fishers. After a few fly fish lessons from Tray, my husband was so excited to try his new found skills. Casting line after line and yes actually catching a few fish.
We exalted in a once in a life time horseback ride into the wildness with our wonderful cowgirl Shelby leading the way OMG this was awesome and my horse Sombrero was equally awesome.
While listening to the hypnotic as well as melodic sound of the creek, I read a good book and then treated myself to a hot sauna every day.
Our only regret was that we had to leave, I actually cried because for the first time in a long time I gave myself permission to stop. No cell phone, no TV, no computer, which translated into no interference.
If you love nature, history, great food, great people and are ready to be still long enough to hear your heart beat, Flat Creek Ranch has all that to offer and more.
Many Blessings to all who have travelled to Flat Creek Ranch and to all those who will meet this magical place in the future.
Colleen and Jim, Lynn MA

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
sf
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2009

We had a corporate retreat for our senior leadership team. The staff was awesome, food terrific and no one can top the location.

p.s. The fishing and Hiking are exceptional.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
west linn, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2009

If you are looking for a wonderful getaway, this is the place. The Ranch is a ride out from Jackson (dont worry about bringing your car, the hosts will arrange pick-up) Your day begins with a pot of hot coffee (or other hot beverage of your choice) delivered to your cabin. A gourmet breakfast followed by activity of your choice: hiking, fly fishing, some trail riding or simply hanging out. Gourmet Lunch (if you need a bag lunch is provided) Appetitzers and conversation followed by dinner.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lindab57
Knoxville, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2009

We had an absolutely perfect time at this pristine wilderness location. Joe and Marsha were wonderful hosts who provided and environment that was perfect for our 10 person group (5 fathers and 5 sons). The fly fishing was 5 star. We trekked up to the Indian cliff through beautiful wilderness and wild flowers. Our horseback riding experience was also uniquely picturesque. Trey and Shelby Sharp provided excellent guided experiences as well. The food was gourmet and healthy, and the entire staff was courteous and helpful. I would recommend this ranch highly. Families, couples, and groups are all appropriate. It is absolutely wonderful! Don't miss it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends