“Amazing!!! Private Wilderness is right!”
Review of Flat Creek Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jackson
Flat Creek Ranch
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Amazing!!! Private Wilderness is right!”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We just came back (literally just came back last night) from the ranch and all I can say is what an amazing trip! Being from NYC we are quite the "city slickers," and going to the ranch presented all kinds of new and fun activities, sights, the whole gambit! It was even the first time for roasting s'mores around the campsite for my boyfriend!

We stayed in the Josephine cabin - beautiful with views of the lake and the creek. Sitting on the porch was probably one of the most tranquil settings I have ever been in. Horse back riding and fly fishing were wonderful activities - the horseback trip is a bit harder than I expected, but loved it! Fly fishing was an entirely new experience for me, and Flat Creek is a great place to learn. Since the creek is so remote from town, it remains pretty unfished, save for the ranch guests, making it stock full of trout so even a newbie like me could have some success.

Food - wonderful meals included beef tenderloin, chicken and halibut. I must say having all your meals planned out for you is super nice - it's like being a kid again! Except it's all 5 star luxury and gourmet food :)

Tray and Shelby and the whole staff, Alex, Ariel, Eric, (I can't name them all!) were wonderfully welcoming, without being intrusive either - it really can be a place for solitude if that's what you are seeking.

There are only 5 guest cabins, so really only 14-15 guests at any given time so you can imagine how peaceful it is. The ranch is pretty remote - about a 1.5 hr ride on some rough terrain, so definitely don't try to make the drive yourself (let them pick you up :).

All in all - absolutely delightful and we hope to come back soon.

I just saw the 15% discount in August - if you can swing it - DO IT! you won't regret it!!!

Room Tip: Josephine cabin probably has the best view (dual lake/creek unobstructed), but has a small clawfoot...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank citysearcher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Atlanta
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Our third trip in 3 years, and already booked for next year. If you are curious about visiting, check with the ranch - last minute cancellations in August freed up some availability.

Consistently strong staff - all deserve to be named - owners Joe and Marcia, Managers Trey and Shelby; Alex, Ariel, Brielle, Elena, Eric, Linda, Randi, Seth - hope I named everyone. Their local knowledge, energy and hospitality makes you feel like you are part of the family.

Great activities - if you love hiking, you can find 7 days' worth of trails. If you love fishing, 7 days' worth of trout. Horses, boats - or just sit around. Complete and utter peace. For more details on the cabins, etc., see my past reviews.

Excellent at catering to special diet needs (vegetarian, gluten-free) but also a meat eater's favorite, it seems, from watching the other guests. You won't lose weight no matter how much you hike (unless you have more self control when presented with great food).

Try it - you will love it (unless you love cities, too many people, shopping and noise, none of which you will find there ....)

Room Tip: Josephine Cabin has a great view of the lake and stream and 2 porches, one of which is shaded. But...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ATLhiker
Manhattan, Kansas
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Fantastic! If you want to get away and enjoy nature the way it is supposed to be enjoyed I highly recommend Flat Creek Ranch..With the soothing sounds of the river while you sleep to the Crackling of the wood stove, makes this one of the most enjoyable vacations we have been on.
The staff is great, and the food is 5 star...You can fly-fish, ride horses, hike the trails or just sit back on your cabin porch and watch the moose, bald eagles or what ever else comes along..

We will be back!!

3 Thank michael c
West Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed June 30, 2012

FCR was a great place to "get away," be closer to nature, and still have fantastic meals and top-notch service. The staff is excellent (Alex deserves special thanks for expertly guiding our Sleeping Indian hike), the scenery spectacular, and there is a wonderful history to the Ranch that makes it seem particularly special to stay there.

1 Thank sbsimpson
Reviewed June 28, 2012

A few weeks ago my wife and I returned to Flat Creek Ranch for a long weekend, our second visit in about five years. This time we brought two other couples, good friends from B-school days. I was there for about two hours when I leaned against a deck railing. It gave way. In my struggle to maintain my balance I managed to rupture my quadriceps tendon, a painful experience requiring surgery, which was performed the next day in Jackson. Thanks to co-owner Joe Albright, I had the surgery and made it back up to FCR in time for the final evening's dinner and a relaxing next morning.

So, with all that, why do I say it's a five star? and why do I feel like I had a "five star" experience?

Because Flat Creek Ranch is truly unique and excellent in every respect. Yes, there are trail rides, exceptional trout fishing, hiking, etc. But, it is not a typical dude ranch experience. Rather, it is like being pampered house guests at your wealthy friend's mountain retreat. The five cabins exude rustic luxury and charm, the service is informal, intimate, friendly and impeccable. Joe and Marcia (the owners) make you feel extremely welcome and comfortable and their team, including managers Trey and Shelby, chef Eric, and the rest are exceptional.

The location and scenery is wild and hauntingly beautiful. In the brief time we were there, we saw moose and bald eagles at fairly close range.

Meals are wonderful - sitting around a square table with your hosts and the other guests - in our case, two charming and interesting couples from the UK.

The fishing - world class. One friend Jay, who has fly fished around the world was suitably impressed despite the coolish early season water. Apparently, the fish were impressed with Jay, since they lined up at all hours to take his flies.

We had a ball and will be back.

Don't miss Flat Creek Ranch.

Room Tip: All five cabins are great.
2 Thank Rwbloch
nassau,ba
Reviewed June 26, 2012

From the moment we arrived at Flat Creek Ranch, we were just amazed with the beauty, wonderful staff, Trey and Shelby were so nice and helpful. It was a treat to have dinner with the owners , Joe and Marsha and listen first hand to the history of the ranch. Trail riding and flyfishing were a blast, so much fun for our daughter! Cissy Cabin is great for a family ,so nice and big! We look forward to returning next spring! The Darville family

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jennofthesea
Catawissa, Missouri
Reviewed June 19, 2012

The best vacation ever. The staff was excellent. The food was 5 star. Best trail ride ever, great horses. Ask for Barney or Montana when you go riding.Joe, Marcia, Trey & Shelby are great hosts. They make you feel like your path of their family. They bend over backwards to make your stay something you will never forget. The scenery is so beautiful. I really can't fully describe how great our time there was. You have to see for yourself.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
Wyoming Inn of Jackson Hole
Rustic Inn Creekside Resort and Spa at Jackson Hole
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Jackson Hole
Rusty Parrot Lodge and Spa
Heart Six Guest Ranch
Spring Creek Ranch
Spring Creek Ranch
#19 of 40 in Jackson

Been to Flat Creek Ranch? Share your experiences!