“Best Family Vacation Ever”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jackson
Spotted Horse Ranch
merrimack, nh
“Best Family Vacation Ever”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This vacation was top notch from the moment we arrived. We were greeted by Sheryl, who is very sweet and accomodating. She checked us in and showed us around and then pointed out the already in progress happy hour. We joined the crowd and met all the folks who had already arrived. We could not have asked for a better group of people, all families, to spend our week with. I feel as if we made a bunch of great new friends as the week went on. The same can be said of the kids. They all got along great.

I can't say enough about the staff. Kevin, the manager, made sure everyone had a great experience. Alyssa the bartender made sure everyone had what they wanted when they wanted it. Jeremiah and his kitchen staff never disappointed us. The housekeeping staff were very sharp and attentive. Christian's staff of wranglers were all great (Here's a shout out to our wrangler, Chris). I wish I could mention everyone's name without leaving anyone out, but suffice it to say that everyone was great.

The cabins were very well appointed and comfortable. There are no TVs, except one in the lodge. I don't think it was turned on once the entire time we were there. No one wanted to watch. The scenery is spectacular and the horses are friendly and obviously well taken care of.

We generally never want our vacations to end, but our entire family truly never wanted to leave this wonderful place.

You need to spend your vacation here!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank goldy965

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Millington, Maryland
Reviewed June 28, 2012

My sister and I just returned home from a week at the Spotted Horse Ranch and it was incredible! The staff was extremely pleasant and did anything/everything to make our stay the best experience. We rode just about every day with the best wrangler! He was very knowledgeable about the area and wildlife. While out on the trails we saw some amazing sights and explored the Tetons and the Gros Ventre wilderness. I enjoyed being able to choose my activities and do as much or as a little as I wanted. Attending the Jackson Hole Rodeo and white water rafting were the highlights of our vacation.

The accommodations at the ranch were modern but rustic. The beds were amazing - which were quite important after a long day on the trail. Each meal was served family style and there was little that I didn't eat and I'm a picky eater! The main courses consisted of meatloaf, salmon, pork, BBQ chicken, steak, and pasta throughout the week. I very much enjoyed meal time as it allowed me to meet the other guests.

I’m sad our vacation is over but our trip out west was a trip of a life time and I hope that I will be able to return to the Spotted Horse Ranch again. Thank you to the staff who ensured it was a week to remember!

Room Tip: Choose a cabin by the river to watch the horses run across the bridge in the morning/evening.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank etowngal
Seattle
Reviewed August 26, 2011

We just got back from a wonderful week at the ranch (2 adults, 2 kids ages 11 and 14) This was one of the best family vacations we've ever had. It's the perfect place for a family with members who are serious fisherman and others who like to ride or simply relax. The size is perfect-- they max at about 32 guests so there is plenty of personal attention. Our cabin was very comfortable and very clean. We enjoyed sitting on the front porch on the rocking chairs. Nice pillows and a great shower- two ammenities I care about. The meals were yummy and there were fresh cookies or brownies for the kids every afternnon. You eat family style and within a few days all the kids new each other and played together in the evenings. My youngest child became best pals with three other kids. There is a cosy bar where people hang and enjoy drink before and/or after dinner. Two fo the nights the ranch hosts a really fun outdoor BBQ on the other side of the river. They bring in musicians both nights. A country musician one night and cowgirl singer the other.
The ranch is right on the Hoback river and the environs are gorgeous. It is ideally located so that you can explore Yellowstone and Teton National Parks as well as enjoy the ranch activities. We visited both parks (a long day to see Yellowstone, but do-able). The ranch is about 20 minute drive southeast of Jackson Hole. The location is not "off the beaten track" (It's right off a secondary highway) and while I usually prefer "middle of nowhere" places, the close access to Jackson and the airport (40 minutes) meant we didn't spend hours getting there. The less-than-isolated location was well worth the convenience. Plus, the location made white water rafting and "rodeo night" easily accessible.

The staff was unusally friendly and helpful. (I've stayed at another ranch where the staff, while efficient, made themselves invisible). At Spotted Ranch you will be on a first-name basis with the staff by the end of the week. Kevin, the general manager and his family live close by, and he is there everyday chatting with the guests, etc.
The staff clearly enjoy being around kids and families and they work hard to make everyone happy. On the spur of the moment two of the wranglers played softball and later cards with the kids after dinner one evening. (There is a huge lawn in front where the kids congregate after dinner). There is also a nice pool table and variety of board games in the "library" for rainy afternoon.

We appreciated the variety of activities available and the flexiblility to do as little or as much as we wanted. You can fill every minute with activity or just lounge on the deck with a book. There's also a nice hot tub under a gazebo overlooking the river. My kids and I rode horses most days and did one full day ride complete with a BBQ picnic in a beautiful meadow. I enjoyed the variety of trails--from easy rides along the river to a day where we climbed to the top of ridge and could see the entire Hoback valley. The horses are well-trained, well cared for and the wranglers are experienced. Several of them have taught horseback riding in previous jobs.
The fly fishing is great. My husband is an avid and serious fly fisherman and it was nice that he could indulge his passion while on a "family vacation." You can fish at the ranch either on the Hoback or on Willow Creek, or a guide can take you on a float trip. For novices and kids, there is a stocked pond onsite. The ranch is Orvis-affliated and has an Orvis guide on site who is available as a guide. He also gives flycasting lessons. My husband and oldest child had a great day-long float/fishing trip on Snake River.
To add variety to the week, on one day you can go on either whitewater rafting or a scenic float trip on the Snake. We loved it! Afterwards, you have the option of swimming in pool fed by natural hotsprings. On the way home, the driver stopped at a spectacular waterfall with a hidden hot spring, and the we all enjoyed exploring the area.
One evening everyone is invited to attend the Jackson Rodeo. One of the wrangler is a competitive bull rider, and the kids had a great time cheering him on. Very fun night.
We had a wonderful vacation overall. No complaints. It's ideal for families with kids age 5 and up, and family reunions. One group included grandparents from across the country. It is NOT ideal for toddlers, or even preschoolers. They are too young to ride and the river would be an attractive nuisance. The ranch can arrange childcare but there isn't much to do for tiny children all day, apart from watching TV (there's one in the sitting room of the lodge with cable). It probably is NOT ideal for people who don't enjoy kids or who want complete privacy. You do share meals and socialize with the other guests. It's a comfortable, casual ranch on a river. It is not an elegant 4-star hotel. So no bellhops and room service menus. But we loved it and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a cabin overlooking the river
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank Mossbackgirl
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We just returned from a trip to Jackson and our stay at the Spotted Horse Ranch was the best!! It's a beautiful ranch- the rooms are great and comfortable, the food is wonderful, the location is fantastic (right on the Hoback River), the staff is super friendly and helpful, the common areas are also nice. In the afternoon there is a bar where they have appetizers, tea and lemonade as well as have a cocktail or glass of wine before heading to dinner. Loved exploring the beautiful Bridger-Teton National Forest on horseback daily and the wonderful fly fishing. Adults and kids had a fantastic time.Our only regret is we could not stay more nights. We will definetly be back and would highly recommend this beautiful ranch to anyone.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank aakurtz
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Everyone was so friendly, and I felt like we lived in our own little town, making friends with all our cabin neighbors. I miss it a TON, and I hope we go back as soon as we can!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank CLong223
Manteno, Illinois
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Spotted Horse Ranch was an excellent vacation! The staff is incredible, the food is excellent and the setting is beautiful! The ranch is accommodating to any need and the old fashion sing-a-longs are great! We didn't have great weather, but sitting outside along the river under the shadows of the mountains can't be beat- even in cold weather!

I would recommend this ranch to anyone.
My only comment is there were not 'planned' hiking trips as there are planned horse back riding trips every day. That would have been a great addition!
Thanks for a wonderful vacation Spotted Horse Ranch!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank magz5555
Reviewed June 30, 2011

We stayed at the Spotted Horse Ranch for a week in June. It was by far the best vacation ever. If you like to ride horses, hike, fish or just relax by the river, this is the place for you. The staff was so friendly and they treated us just like family. The cabins were great, the food was awesome and the planned activities were the best. We rode horses everyday and saw tons of wildlife on our rides. We went to a rodeo in town, a hot springs for a swim and whitewater rafting! The best vacation ever!!! I can't wait to go back...

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank froglover0207
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
Wyoming Inn of Jackson Hole
Rustic Inn Creekside Resort and Spa at Jackson Hole
Teton Mountain Lodge & Spa - A Noble House Resort
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Jackson Hole
Rusty Parrot Lodge and Spa
The Lodge at Jackson Hole

Been to Spotted Horse Ranch? Share your experiences!