“Super lamp chops”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 1.5 blocks from Broadway and Millward
Description: The Blue Lion was built as a residential home in the late 1930's, in 1974 it became The Tourist Trap restaurant and then in 1976 The Blue Lion. I bought it in 1978 after graduating college. The Blue Lion has evolved a lot since those early days mostly due to retired head chef, Tim Libassi who's was with me for almost 25 years. We continue to add and change dishes semi-annually. The lamb, elk and fresh fish are our biggest sellers. There was a restaurant in southern California where I grew up that served mud pie and my mother made a home made hot fudge sauce which we incorporated into our own version of mud pie, a local favorite. The restaurant has been enlarged several times, the upstairs dining, the kitchen, the waiting area and the outdoor deck. In the winter The Blue Lion can accommodate 60 diners at one time. In the summer we open the deck enabling us to accommodate 80 diner. We are open nightly at 5:30 and usually feature an acoustical guitarist as entertainment.
akron, ohio
“Super lamp chops”
Reviewed February 1, 2010

We sat upstairs and had a great dinner with family
Manadarin chicken--super and tasty
My spouse loved the lamb
service was outstanding--very attentive
great musician at bar area--we bought one of the CDs

• Chinese (Traditional) first
new jersey
“not a family restaurant”
Reviewed October 10, 2009

I visited Jackson Hole a while ago but have a burning memory of my experience at this restaurant. I would like to alert families with younger children.

I had reservations for my wife, my two boys (age 10 and 12), and myself and we arrived a few minutes early. We were told to relax in a waiting area, and noticed that two other families that arrived after us were seated in front of us. Since everyone in my party was quite hungry after a days adventures, I asked the receptionist why we were not seated (now 30 minutes after our reservation time) and others were being seated in front of us. She was uncaring and seemed like she couldn't be bothered. I asked to talk to someone else, who could not understand why we were not seated yet. We were then shown to our table, but now I was angry and the entire family was famished. No one really seemed to care and no one apologized for the long unnecessary delay.

The food was really good. We had the specialties of the house including the rack of lamb. But the atmosphere from the staff was arrogant and distant. I would not advise for a family... maybe a business meeting or for a couple wanting a lot of time for their meal.

I would not return with kids.

1 Thank familyvacationdad
orlando, florida
“best meal in ages”
Reviewed September 24, 2009

The food here was both eclectic and excellent. We had Elk Diane, Halibut with a potato crust, rack of lamb and Shrimp with Thai noodles; everyone was excellent. The ambiance was nice, if a bit crowded and the wine list was both very good and very reasonably priced. All in all, one of the best meals I have had in a long time.

Annapolis, MD
“Great service, but too expensive”
Reviewed September 18, 2009

My wife had the Kobe Beef at $40 and it was grisly. I had a mixed grill with trout and elk and it was $45. I had never had elk and found that my mouth was expecting steak and got another taste. And elk was nothing to write home about. The waiter warned me the trout was bland... but "when in Rome".. so I tried it and she was right, it was bland. The restaurant is very well run, the staff is top shelf, but I can't say the food keeps on par with the service...especially for the price. I think in Jackon you could do better, for less.

New Jersey, USA
“Delicious and very charming”
Reviewed September 7, 2009

Really enjoyed this restaurant. Their outdoor deck was great. Delicious rack of lamb - - it looked like everyone else was ordering it too...scrumptious. I wish this restaurant was closer to home. Yum!