“What a rack!”

Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 1.5 blocks from Broadway and Millward
Description: The Blue Lion was built as a residential home in the late 1930's, in 1974 it became The Tourist Trap restaurant and then in 1976 The Blue Lion. I bought it in 1978 after graduating college. The Blue Lion has evolved a lot since those early days mostly due to retired head chef, Tim Libassi who's was with me for almost 25 years. We continue to add and change dishes semi-annually. The lamb, elk and fresh fish are our biggest sellers. There was a restaurant in southern California where I grew up that served mud pie and my mother made a home made hot fudge sauce which we incorporated into our own version of mud pie, a local favorite. The restaurant has been enlarged several times, the upstairs dining, the kitchen, the waiting area and the outdoor deck. In the winter The Blue Lion can accommodate 60 diners at one time. In the summer we open the deck enabling us to accommodate 80 diner. We are open nightly at 5:30 and usually feature an acoustical guitarist as entertainment.
Salt Lake City
“What a rack!”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Very nice, intimate surroundings. Efficient, professional service. Expensive. I like rack of lamb and have had it many places. No place else even comes close. One of the best meals I've ever had. Worth the trip to Jackson alone. Looking at other diners it seems that one should come for the red meat--lamb, elk, tenderloin, etc. Other dishes looked good but nothing like these.

• Visited June 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Northern California
“One star for each of the five happy people at our table.”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Without a doubt, this meal ranked in the top three of the most delicious we've ever had. Three of us had eaten here before, but this was a first for me. The beef filet was heaven and reviews for the lamb and the elk were equally as great. Well done!

• Visited May 2013
“Decent food in an intimate atmosphere”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We were recommended this restaurant by our concierge at the hotel and took him up on the first night we arrived. We were pretty tired so we didn't engage with our waiter as we usually do in new places; however he was very professional and accomodating. The entrees automatically come with a green salad (or caesar if you want to switch) and we thoroughly recommend the house dressing which is a sesame vinagerette: nice amount of tang with a delicate Asian sesame flavoring layered over it. My husband ordered the pasta (can't remember whether it was a pappardelle or a linguini) with tempeh and veggies. He really enjoyed this dish: the tempeh had a gentle sear to take away some of the 'mushiness', so it felt like he was eating meat and the marinara sauce was flavorful and not overwhelmed by garlic. I ordered the porkchop with green breans and mashed potatoes. I wasn't blown away by my dish because of the amount of Thai (I can't remember description) sauce on my porkchop. I think if I had half the sauce on the pork chop it would bhave been stellar. However my porkchop was well-cooked and was a LARGE piece of meat. So large I had to doggie-bag half of it. The mashed potatoes were flavorful and the green beans, were..well green beans.
Unfortunately we didn't try the wine selection because of my pregnancy and my husband's dehydration from our flight, but the people around us seemed to thoroughly enjoy their selections. We were seated upstairs which yields an even more intimate (dining-room like) atmosphere and would recommend asking for an upstairs seating location if possible. We actually returned to this restaurant again because my husband so loved his pasta/tempeh dish. The susbequent time I had something from the 'Lighter Fare' menu which was a wild rice, green beans and salmon meal. The salmon (with salsa on top) was really well-cooked and flavorful.

Not sure whether it was the time of year that we visited or whether it's like this all the time, but the restaurant's visitors definitely skewed older and Caucasian..and when I say skew I mean everyone, every table. This could be a result of the time of year or the area in general. It's something I noticed since I'm used to the diverse crowds seen in San Francisco where I'm from. If you're looking for lively and happening; this isn't it. This is mellow, very quiet, everyone speaks in relatively hushed tones, just for the record.

1 Thank Kay H
Decatur, Illinois
“Good but not great”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I had the halibut which was well prepared however they covered it in this sauce that I did not like. I hated their green beans. My husband had the chicken marsala which he really liked. They have a good wine selection.

1 Thank carlinda6665
Macon, Ga
“Great food great atmosphere.”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We had a delicious meal at Blue Lion! The service was terrific and the atmosphere was great. They have these very clever sound abatement panels on the walls & ceilings so the restaurant is quiet and intimate.
We really enjoyed it and would recommend fit to anyone visiting Jackson.