“Disappointing”

Gun Barrel Steak & Game House
Reserve with OpenTable
Gun Barrel Steak & Game House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 147 Restaurants in Jackson
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Gun Barrel Steak & Game House is a locally owned and operated restaurant which opened in 1993. Enjoy Jackson Hole's finest steaks & game dishes, all cooked over an open river-rock mesquite grill in a rustic hunting lodge atmosphere. The Gun Barrel is located just one mile from the world famous Jackson Town Square and a short drive from Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. Come visit us today!
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Food wasn't good, service was fine. I had been here years ago and had a better experience. Seems to have gone downhill. We all had seafood, so perhaps that was the problem. I can't comment on the game/meat entrees

Write a ReviewReviews (2,154)

Reviewed February 28, 2014

We asked locals who they recommend for the best prime rib in town and were told the Gun Barrel. Not sure if those people had ever eaten there after our experience. The hostess ended up being our waitress which was ok because she did a good job making sure we had our drinks and trying to make us happy!. However, I ordered the mixed grill which was a cold mess! The buffalo prime rib was cold and tough as a boot. The filet was raw, ordered it med rare, sausage was a dark gray color, cold and dried out! The chunk of sweet potato was the only edible thing on the plate. I sent the filet back to have it cooked more and it came back butterflied and with a coating of salt. Also, sent the prime rib back and waitress brought back a piece of their beef prime rib..saying the chef said the prime rib I sent back wasn't tough to him!!! The beef one was tasteless and had a spongy texture to it. The other meal ordered at the table was the elk chops and only had 3 or 4 good bites with 6 green beans and an overcooked baked potato! All this for $80? Our hostess/waitress was very nice and really tried her best to make our meals right and us happy. She did take my meal off of the check. As we were waiting on the check the entire restaurant filled up with smoke from the wood burning fireplace...someone had closed the flue, I guess. Our eyes were burning and could not get out of there fast enough!!! Just a disaster from beginning to end! Touristy place and they probably don't worry about repeat customers!!!

2  Thank divetravlr
Reviewed February 19, 2014

If your going to have steak you might as well not waste your money else where in jackson. I had the Elk chop and it was hands down one of the best steaks I've ever had. Ive had plenty of elk through out my short life and this was right up there with the ones my dad makes. You really should try it over the beef steaks they offer if you've never tried it before! Usually the sides on dishes are so so, but not here. they were just as good as the main dish. Service was great, he was super friendly and attentive. I don't think one person was disappointed in there meal. Afterwards we had two desserts split amongst the four of us and those were very good as well. Worth every penny!

1  Thank Sharp7
Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

We went to the Gun Barrel with a bunch of friends from the recommendation of our snowmobile guide. The decor was fun and interesting to look at but that is pretty much it for this restaurant. Our server definitely disliked his job and seemed annoyed by us being there. The entrees came out so fast that we weren't even done with our appetizers. Half of us ordered the velvet elk which was very bland. The other half of the group had the elk chop and said it was pretty good. The entire meal was rushed and our server even brought out our checks assuming we weren't ordering anything else. If you are looking for something low key then this place would be fine. But if your looking for a better dining experience, better quality of food, and better service then I recommend going somewhere else.

1  Thank Mieke82
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Fantastic food and spent rest of time admiring all the decor!!! Great atmosphere and all for good price