“4-hour ride, Beautiful views of the area”

Spring Creek Riding Stables
More attraction details
Owner description: Nestled near the top of the East Gros Ventre Butte, only three miles away from downtown Jackson, WY, the Spring Creek Riding Stables offers a guided horseback trail ride with breathtaking, wide-open views of the Tetons, Gros Ventre Range, Wyoming Range, and the Snake River Mountain Range. There is simply no better way to experience the Tetons than on horseback!.
Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“4-hour ride, Beautiful views of the area”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Our children ages 10-14 and us parents enjoyed the half-day trail ride that lead us around the butte to terrific views of the Jackson Hole area, Elk Refuge land, and mountains in the distance on all sides. The ride is mostly in the sun so wear a hat and put on your sunscreen, especially on a day like our ride when there wasn't a cloud in the sky, beautiful! It was nice to do this ride early in our stay to understand the geography of the area. Two wranglers lead our group of seven riders. On this ride you bring a lunch and stop at the top of the butte to sit in the shade of Aspen trees to eat. We aren't regular riders and the horses were perfect for us. They provide saddle bags for supplies and your own camera.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Amy K

Memphis, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Jackson Hole Vacation June 2014”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Spring Creek Ranch is a beautiful place, with wonderful scenery, and TERRIBLE management and safety systems. We booked a 2 hour trail ride for two families on June 21st. At check in things seemed a bit lax. We continued on however and were shortly on our way with 7 riders and Steve, the Ranch employee, leading the trip. The first 1.5 hours were beautiful. However, 15 minutes prior to our finish, the horses bunched up and one horse kicked my wife's horse. Unfortunately the kick hit my wife squarely on her foot and broke her foot. My wife was screaming in pain as i helped her to the ground. Steve, the trip leader, was speechless and clearly not prepared for any emergency. My wife was on the ground writhing in pain and Steve was unable to reach anyone from the ranch for a rescue for 15 minutes while we all watched in horror. My brother in law, who was in our group, finally and forcefully asked Steve to get the group to the main stable to seek assistance there. Steve agreed. They left and finally, after about 40 minutes on the ground, my wife was rescued by truck.

Let me prequalify my comments by stating that horseback riding can be extremely dangerous. I have had extensive experience with horses and can attest to their unpredictable nature. Yet as an operator of such tourist experiences it is incumbent on a Tour Provider to ensure that all safety precautions and employee training exceed minimum acceptable standards. Clearly none of the staff at Spring Creek Ranch was prepared for such an eventuality. Further still, it is evident that Ownership and Management of said establishment have zero interest in providing a safe environment for guests and, for that matter, their staff. This is a SHAMEFUL situation that sheds light on terrible management and disinterested owners.

Again, accidents happen. I'm not upset that we had an unfortunate incident with the horses. They are dangerous and you can't fault them for that. I'm EXTREMELY UPSET with the safety response from Spring Creek Ranch. Also, never once did they express their concern for my wife. Never once did they apologize for the accident. Never once did they offer their apologies. Never did they offer my wife a drink of water. Never did they follow up with a phone call to check on her health.

We had a wonderful vacation until that point. Don't hesitate to visit Jackson Hole Wyoming and engage the many wonderful tour operators found there. We will go back. But I strongly warn anyone hiring the services of SPRING CREEK RANCH to consider other options for horse tours. Customer Service is sorely lacking there, as is any regard to Safety Systems or proper employee training standards. Shame on SPRING CREEK RANCH.

Visited June 2014
11 Thank 572rickyh
RyanCastagno, Owner at Spring Creek Riding Stables, responded to this review, August 26, 2015
I was very sorry to read about your experience at spring creek ranch. Castagno outfitters has taken over the stables responsibilities as of May 2015. We have operated trail rides in Jackson Hole since early 1990's. We raise many of our own trail horses. We have our own string of horses and crew that's new at Spring Creek if in the area again please consider us for your horse adventure. Thanks the Castagno family
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Awesome evening sleigh ride!”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We took a horse drawn sleigh ride around the upper ridge of Spring Creek Ranch just after sunset - beautiful views of the Tetons and Jackson Hole! 45 minute ride then dinner after at Granary restaurant - very good value for combo! We made arrangements thru Spring Creek Ranch concierge - Cindy!

Visited January 2014
4 Thank pattylon
West Simsbury, Connecticut
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Stunning views, and nice horses”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We are relative beginners, and our family did a 2 hour ride. The views on the top of the hill were stunning. The horses were fun and well behaved, and the trails were both open, and meandered through the woods. It was a highlight. There was a gentleman in his 60's on our ride, and the heat and the 2 hours was too much for him, so choose a 1 hour if you are worried. The guides were pretty mellow. I might have preferred to have a second guide riding at the back of the pack. My family was in the back, and my daughters horse was misbehaving a bit. She was fine with it, but I might have felt more secure had we had a guide towards the back of the pack rather than just up front. We got some amazing photos that we appreciated. I woudl do this again in a heart beat.

Visited August 2013
5 Thank Catherine S
Wake Forest, North Carolina
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Such a wonderful experience!”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I've never been on a horse. Hubby had been once before. Spring Creek will match you with a horse. I had TNT. Hmmm.......what a sweety! Basically, I sat and held the reins and he knew what to do. I only redirected him a few times. A few times, he trotted quickly to catch up. Loved it! You walk on a well trod trail up a mountain, thru an Aspen Grove,and along the base of a mountain. We did the two hour trip. At a scenic spot, a photographer pops up and takes pics. They were wonderful. I highly recommend this trip. You can see they care about your safety. And you can see the love the horses.

Visited September 2013