We returned to SCR 30 years after our previous visit when it was newly built. We stayed in the Inn rooms, the 4 unit hotel cabins (there is really no hotel except for the Amangani which is not a SCR property). Our upper level unit 2207 was located cliffside with the spectacular view of the Grand Tetons (when they weren’t clouded over). Our balcony overlooking the valley below could intimidate someone with a fear of heights.
We arrived by car very early at 2:30, not realizing check-in was at 4:00. After going unnoticed in the lobby for quite a while, we were finally assisted by Kathryn. There was no problem being so early, and just for asking she made an extra effort to obtain the room with the view. It was good to arrive in daylight to find our way around the property.
The room was a bit of a walk from our parking lot on sometimes icy paths (if you can find it, there is a cart along the path to haul luggage.) The Granary restaurant was a short walk. We started our stay with drinks and a snack in the bar, where we met Ben, the bartender and also our waiter that night for dinner. He even gave us some helpful alternative dining recommendations.
It’s true the room has probably had few updates since we were there in 1984. Fixtures and décor are worn and dated, and could use some basic repairs like a loose towel rack and shower rod. The big stone woodburning fireplace was a nice amenity (although even with the flue open, the smoke set off the detector for several minutes until we aired out the room and smoke found its way up the chimney.) The room was spacious, but the bathroom/closet/mini “kitchen” was tight. Our king size bed was not that comfortable, and a comforter would be an improvement over a heavy brown bedspread. We stayed 4 nights, and it took that long to get the hang of adjusting the heater control for a good sleeping temperature.
If you can’t tolerate a little inconvenience and rustic feel, you might not appreciate SCR, but you’ll miss out on some awesome views.
I rate based on value for price, which varies by season. With our online Travelzoo deal in winter we basically paid $600 for 4 nights, with a total of $150 in property vouchers. The view gets a 5/5 rating, and I downgrade to overall 4/5 just because it isn’t in top condition, but good value for our price. I hope to come back again before 30 years.
Tip for skiers: check into shuttle service to Teton Village. It’s convenient and saves parking fee.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Spring Creek Ranch is located on a wildlife sanctuary almost 1,000 feet above the town of Jackson and has the most spectacular views of the Teton Mountain Range, including the world famous 13,700-foot Grand Teton. Our resort gives guests the choice of Inn Rooms, Studios with Kitchens, Two Room Suites, Townhomes or Mountain Villas to provide the right accommodations to suit your needs. Whether exploring Grand Teton or Yellowstone National Parks or testing your skill on the Snake River Fly Fishing, White Water Rafting, or many other countless recreational opportunities, Spring Creek Ranch is a destination resort for any type of guest. Enjoy the western cuisine at the DiRoNA award-winning Granary Restaurant with floor to ceiling windows to view the sunrise or sunset over the Grand Teton. Disconnect from the outside world and rejuvenate at the Wilderness Adventure Spa with a High Altitude Hot Stone Heaven Massage. Spring Creek Ranch is the proud recipient of the prestigious Conde' Nast Traveler Gold List designation. We pride ourselves on our tradition of integrity, innovation and our ability to provide services that exceed expectations. Spring Creek Ranch is described as "luxury with rustic flair surrounds guests in authentic cowboy country," according to the Robb Report of the Top Ten Family and Corporate Retreats in October 2004. "Panoramic views of the Teton Mountains, verdant wild flower meadows and endless blue skies quiet the mind and enable us to live in the moment." ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Spring Creek Ranch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Spring Creek Ranch Hotel Jackson
- Spring Creek Hotel
- Spring Creek Resort
- Spring Creek Ranch Jackson Hole, WY