“Great experience - don't miss a chance for a custom tour!”

More attraction details
Owner description: Please join me on a private, Jackson Hole Photographic Scenic and Wildlife Safari through Grand Teton National Park with me as your experienced guide. I will provide you with a unique opportunity to explore the unparalleled scenery and wildlife surrounding Jackson Hole. Grizzly and black bears, moose, elk, mule deer, bison, pronghorn, eagles and wolves are just some of the wildlife we often experience. With my visual and ethical appreciation for the environment I' am anxious to share my passion with all my guests. I guarantee I will be your guide. I offer over 39 years of experience in seeking out the elusive wildlife that inhabits the region and extensive knowledge on the best locations to view and photograph the picturesque surroundings of Grand Teton National Park. I offer only one Safari Tour per day and each tour is individually customized. All tours include fresh morning glory breakfast muffins, refreshments and of course the use of high quality Nikon binoculars, and Swarovski spotting scopes, as well as tripods and rain-gear. Please be sure to check out the rest, and see why people choose Paul Martin's Photo Safaris. I sincerely hope I can be part of your amazing Jackson Hole adventure! --Paul
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We're a family with 2 boys, 12 and 15, visiting Jackson Hole for the first time during spring break 2013. We planned several activities during our week stay based on reviews on tripadvisor, from dog sledding, to ski mobile trips, to Paul's photo safari. Paul's guided tour was one of the highlights of our week! Not only did he take us to some amazing locations throughout Jackson Hole for photography, but we learned a lot about every location we visited. His knowledge of the area covers history, geography, animal habitats, and even tracking individual animals and their families. Paul has a passion for his lifestyle and it shows! (I would say he has a passion for his 'work' but he seems to really care about sharing this wonderful place with visitors.)

Here are a few details that made it even more fun for us:
- Paul gave our two boys each a Canon Powershot SX50 to take photos. They loved them. The zoom was something like 1200mm, better than our Nikon DSLR lens. (We just had to bring SD cards.)
- Paul let us use one of his large telephoto lenses (~800mm) on our Nikon throughout the trip.
- He customized our tour, showing us some wildlife (Moose, Coyote, BigHorn Sheep, Grey Heron) plus some spectacular views that are not on the 'standard' list of spots other guides may take visitors.
- Paul took a couple great family portraits of us at a couple beautiful locations, and sent us a link to the hi-res images.
- And don't forget about the fresh muffins!

All in all, one of our best events in Jackson.

SafariPaul, Owner at Paul Martin's Photo Safaris -Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thanks for sharing you experience with everyone and I’m so pleased that your tour with me was one of the highlights of your week! Its gracious guests and comments like yours that makes what I do so much fun and easily the best part of everyday. Grand Teton National Park has been my home since the early 70’s, that almost 40 years that I have the pleasure of sharing with all my guests. I take great pride in giving my guests an experience they simply will not get with any other tour from the simple amenities to the personalized experience and equipment. Come back and see us again. --Paul

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We were in Jackson Hole for a ski getaway and wanted to spend some time away from the slopes seeing what else the area had to offer. We originally planned on a tour of Yellowstone, but we decided we didn't want to spend the entire day in the car driving and instead wanted to stay closer to our hotel while exploring the surrounding area.

Paul Martin's Photo Safari was the perfect way to spend the morning. He picked us up at our hotel at 6:30am, and we proceeded to the GTNP where we were greeted to a beautiful sunrise against the Tetons, as well as wonderful scenery including wildlife. We made it back to our hotel around noon (maybe a tad later) thrilled at the amount of scenery & wildlife we encountered. While Paul can't promise you will see your favorite furry critters, his experience of photographing this area and knowledge of animal behavior puts you in the best possible position to see moose, elk, deer, and maybe even a coyote. He also takes you off the beaten path where you are able to see unique vistas that are worth the trip alone. While you can certainly get the standard Grand Teton photos, he will also take you to some of his favorite spots. He lives here year-round, and spends the same amount of time scouting animals and photo spots that I spend sitting in my office wishing I was back in Jackson.

Paul goes the extra mile by offering utilization of quality camera gear at no extra cost, including tripods & beanbags for stabilization, 500mm lens for Canon or Nikon DSLR mounts, as well as a point-and-shoot superzoom camera which you can use (just bring your own memory card). We spent about 4.5 hours shooting photos, and between the four of us we easily shot over 200 images per person. We saw quite a few moose, mule deer, bighorn sheep, bald eagles, waterfowl, coyote, and elk. Paul was willing to tailor the trip to maximize moose sightings, and he did not disappoint!

Our group was 4 adults, and we were very comfortable in his custom van which is configured perfectly for photographing from the van, as well as easy in & out when we wanted to stop and get closer to the action. Paul provides a mid-morning muffin and coffee from a bakery in Idaho, and he brings along some snacks in the event you need a little something extra. There aren't many opportunities for restroom breaks, so plan ahead. Especially in winter, it is important to dress warm & comfortable. Long underwear is a good bet if you are just wearing jeans and sweater underneath a winter coat...but you could also wear snow pants as you may decide to walk throw some snowy spots to get a better vantage. Warm winter boots, gloves, and hat are a must.

Paul is very engaging, and willing to answer questions ranging from the history of the area to the habits of animals. He is proud of his work and it shows. He has a generous winter cancellation policy as well, and his flexibility allowed us to switch to a different date once the weather forecast revealed which day would be best for animal sightings. Do yourself a favor on your off-ski day and give Paul a call.....you won't be disappointed!!

SafariPaul, Owner at Paul Martin's Photo Safaris -Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Thank you for sharing your Grand Teton National Park Sunrise Safari with other TA readers. It is true that only a small percentage of TA users actually write reviews and so as a owner guided company that only does one tour a day I get fewer reviews compared to the big corporate companies, so I really appreciate everyone who leaves a review. That is why I make a point of responding to every review, its my way of saying ‘Thanks!’.

All my guests get personalized service not found any where else. When you call you talk with me, your guide and the owner. Your not just another seat in one of a fleet of vehicles to keep my seasonal help busy, your my personal guest for the day. I find out what each party hopes to see and do, and regardless of whether your a photographer or just looking to see the sights I tailer the trip to you.

Personalized service with unmatched experience, first class amenities, highest quality binoculars and spotting scopes, and an assortment of quality camera gear is just part of what guests can expect when they book a tour with me. I encourage everyone to check out the rest, than book with the best. You will not find any clever advertising catch phases or spin on my website, and no advertising marketing.

As you noted I have the most liberal cancellation policy in the industry. Life happens. If for any reason guests need to cancel or re-schedule prior to 24 hours of your tour there is NO fee imposed. During the winter months the 24 hour time period doesn’t even apply. Your on vacation, you have enough to deal with.

Again, thank you for your wonderfully detailed review.

Your friend, Paul

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Paul gave us an excellent tour of the area, and proved to be a very knowledgeable and entertaining tour guide. He found all kinds of wildlife for us to see and photograph, and furnished binoculars and telephoto lenses that made the trip even more valuable to us. The van was very comfortable, and was excellent to photograph from in the cases where the animals were too close for us to safely get out. Altogether an absolutely delightful morning.

Thank you so much for being my guests and allowing me to share the morning with the two of you. There are lots of tour companies to choose from so I’m honored you picked me from the crowd. As the only private personally guided tour company I focus on my guests and offer you the service that guests can only get with me as their guide. You captured this handsome young bull like a pro! Thanks for sharing your photo and tour with other TA readers. --Paul

Reviewed February 16, 2013

My wife and I went on Paul's photo safari last weekend. What a wonderful experience! He does everything possible to make it a great experience, from nice coffee and muffins to being willing and able to tailor the trip to our needs and the conditions of the day.

Paul’s knowledge of the area and the wildlife make him a great guide. He taught us a lot about how to look for wildlife and showed us some wonderful places to come back to. We didn’t have a great sunrise due to clouds, but Paul’s advice for where to go on a different morning was perfect later in the trip.

His van setup is excellent, allowing for great viewing on all sides and out the top.

I loved being able to use his 600mm lens – it got me sharp images of moose and sheep that I could never have gotten with my own lens. Using that lens out of the top of the van gave a perspective that couldn’t be matched!

SafariPaul, Owner at Paul Martin's Photo Safaris -Tours, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

You got some great images! Thank you for sharing your experience and photos with other TA readers. With almost 40 years experience in Grand Teton National Park as a professional photographer I have a unique perspective that I enjoy sharing with all my guests. The weather is not always perfect in the mountains, but my guests are assured a great experience what ever the weather brings. The sunrise tour is the perfect way to start any visit to Grand Teton National Park. Thanks for being my guest! --Paul

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Went on private tour with Paul of Paul's Photo Safaris last weekend. Our group consisted of my husband and I, our 3 teens and my sister and brother-in-law. My daughter and brother-in-law are both amateur photographers. The tour was probably one of the best we have ever taken and we have been on multiple private tours around the US and abroad. Paul is very knowledgeable, helpful and funny. He had extra lenses and cameras for us to use that were awesome! All of us ended up taking some very nice photos. We saw numerous wildlife- so many that we started teasing Paul about his choreography! He also took us to several off the beaten tract places for awesome views of the Tetons. He had many suggestions for us to explore on our own at a later date. The views from every seat in his van are great- captain chairs that swivel with huge windows. The muffins and hot chocolate he provided were a welcome treat. He called me the day before to move up the pick-up time because of where he was anticipating some of the wildlife would be. We were so glad that we did, not only for the wildlife but for the amazing sunrise. We plan on returning in the spring for another tour.

SafariPaul, Owner at Paul Martin's Photo Safaris -Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Thanks you Laura and your family for allowing me to be your personal guide of Grand Teton National Park this winter. Its always my honor to share this wonderful place we call Jackson Hole valley. Because all my tours are private and personalized to each group I can put the tours focus on what you want to see and do. The photo enthusiasts in your group took advantage of some of the great cameras and lenses all my guests are free to use and from the sounds of it took some wonderful images home with them, while those just interested in sight seeing I hope the Nikon binoculars and Swarovski spotting scope came in handy. Thank you and your family for allowing me the pleasure of having you as my guests. I’m looking forward to seeing you this spring. --Paul