“Trip to the Canyons in Idaho”

JH Trout Fly Fishing
More attraction details
Owner description: I am the only guide for JH Trout so when you book a trip with me you know that I will be your guide, not just someone who works for my company. I am one of the few guides who can guide in Grand Teton Nat'l Park, this is done as an employee of Grand Teton Fly Fishing who is the permit holder. As a guide in Jackson, WY I have the ability to guide many different rivers and lakes in the region. Through a permit system, in which I work off of other companies permits, I can guide rivers in the Pinedale area, Yellowstone Nat'l Park, the Salt River, and rivers around Jackson including permits that allow me to guide the Snake River in Grand Teton Nat'l Park (via Grand Teton Fly Fishing). Multiple boat trips are also an option.
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My two sons and I spent last Saturday with Neil and it was everything the other reviews said and more. Neil was very patient with three people that had never fly fished before. His knowledge about the river and fishing was not only entertaining, about also educational. We caught lots of fish and missed even more being the novices that we were. I would highly recommend Neil for any kind of trout fishing guide services you are looking for.

nbc4784, Owner at JH Trout Fly Fishing, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Thanks for the review Kelly. I'll see you in June.

All reviews
"scenery"
"teacher"
"snow"

Reviewed September 22, 2012

I did a “short day” boat trip with Neil on August 19. We met at the fly fishing shop near Dornan’s at 8am where he suggested a few dry flies and then we headed up to Deadman’s Bar just north of Moose. We fished the Snake River from “Dead to Moose”, and were back in Moose by 2pm.

The fishing was amazing. I’m a beginning fly fisherman, so I was little worried I wouldn’t catch much. I had nothing to worry about – I ended up catching a mess of Snake River cutthroat trout of varying sizes, ranging from about 10 inches to 17.5 inches. Yes Neil basically told me where to throw my line and how to fish, but he took the time to explain where trout like to hang out, so I felt like I knew what I was doing by the end of the trip.

Neil was very professional and courteous. Since I’m a beginner, I had many basic questions. Neil took the time to explain the fundamentals of fly fishing in a boat that’s moving downstream, as well as what flies to use, how to tie knots, etc. He also didn’t seem annoyed as I lost what seemed like 10-15 of his own flies – some totally on accident, and some because I was enjoying the amazing scenery and not paying attention.

On top of the fishing, I was surprised at the wildlife we were able to see from the boat. We were lucky to see a large moose, which was my only moose sighting in Grand Teton and Yellowstone. Neil got the boat close enough to get a good look, which is a lot closer than most get to see.

I’m looking forward to my next trip to Grand Teton, and will definitely book another day of fishing with Neil while I’m there.

1  Thank Seth H
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We had a fantastic day fishing the Upper Snake with Neil. All 3 of us caught lots of trout (30 total in the boat). Neil provided fantastic instruction and knew exactly where the fish were. This was my son's first real fly fishing adventure. I can't say enough good things about fishing with Neil. Would recommend this excursion to anyone. The scenery was absolutely beautiful...

1  Thank wjm_8
Reviewed July 12, 2012

My husband and I went with Neil for a half day of fly fishing on Snake River. My husband had never fly fished before and thanks to Neil, he is now hooked! I read and took more pictures (it was beautiful scenery) than fishing. I really just enjoyed watching my husband's excitement and conversation with Neil. If you choose to do this, request him!