“Not the experience we hoped for”

Barker-Ewing Whitewater
More attraction details
Owner description: It's the Coolest Thing You'll Do All Summer! We've set the standard for Whitewater Rafting and Scenic Float Trips in Jackson Hole, Wyoming since 1963. We deliver The Trip of a Lifetime! Our mission is simple: uncompromising safety and unsurpassed personal service. Leave rush hour behind as our seasoned and knowledgeable staff brings their best in offering you a refreshing pace in roomy boats. Whether whitewater rafting or scenic floating, we invite you to join us on the Snake River this summer!
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We booked a trip in advance with Barker Ewing and we were very excited. When we got to town, we called them to just check in on our trip. I had found a discount coupon on one of the local papers and asked them if they could apply it to our reservation. They said the coupon was for only new reservations. Fine. But then on the trip talked to a couple who said they gave them the coupon even though they had booked months in advance. Company was celebrating 50 years, but felt like they were more impressed with themselves than they should be. The time on the river was fun but everything else surrounding it was not.

Barker-Ewing, Owner at Barker-Ewing Whitewater, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear Chris,

Your TripAdvisor review is very disappointing to us. Although we are happy you had a fun time on the river, we regret that your experience with our office staff was not what you hoped it would be. I have gone through every single reservation that had the discount you mentioned, searching for a time when we offered the discount to someone after the fact so that I might use the example as a training lesson for our staff, but can find no such instance. The other guests you spoke with most likely received a completely different early bird special we give to guests who take the time to book several months in advance.

Our family has indeed been working steadily in Jackson Hole for 50 years based on the principle that you always do your best and a little bit more. We strive each and every day to be 100% at Customer Service. We will always attempt to go above and beyond. We will give you truly awesome guides are among the best trained in the rafting community. Our vehicles will be well maintained and in good condition. We promise that the wetsuits and booties that we recommend you rent for a whitewater trip is washed, sanitized and dried after each use. Our bathrooms will be clean and our Trip Office will be bright a inviting. The food on our meal trips will be the finest quality and prepared by us with the freshest ingredients. We will attempt to call you the night before to remind you of your trip. We will do our best to give you the Trip of a Lifetime.

Our Office Staff has an intensely difficult task selling over 11 departures a day and 6 different trips, along with 8 departures in Grand Teton National Park for Barker-Ewing Floats. We book package trips for our partners, including Wildlife Expeditions, The Hole Hike and Teton Mountain Bike Tours. In the springtime we offer an Early Season discount for those who wish to make the financial commitment to book and pay early. Our reservation staff will answer your questions about where to stay, where to eat, where to hike. They will give you information on horseback riding, chuckwagon dinners, hot air ballooning and fly-fishing.

What we cannot do is give you a discount that was not available at the time that you booked your trip. Every business must draw a line somewhere! The coupon was offered with specific hotels on a specific dates for the purpose of new business. There are so very many factors that go into each an every reservation that we are unable to give our reservation agents carte blanche to add another discount.

We do hope you understand and are so sorry this resulted your less than satisfied review.

We do hope you enjoyed your river trip with us and your trip to the greater Jackson Hole area.

Kindly,

Heather Ewing

Write a ReviewReviews (1,986)
All reviews
in 121 reviews
"lunch counter"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed June 18, 2013

My husband and I went on this trip- we were hoping the rapids would be a lot more exciting than they were. I guess I should have done a little more research and realized that the rapids are a mix of II and III (scale of I to VI, where I is calm and VI is too turbulent to go out on).
This would be a great family activity. It is very safe, no one fell out (or even came close), but even if they had we had been taught how to pull them back in. Everyone obviously had life jackets. If you are concerned about safety of kids, I really wouldn't be worried at all.
Also, I did not realize it takes 40 minutes to drive to and from the whitewater experience. It is west of Jackson... not in Grand Teton National Park.
I had really hoped we would see a bald eagle. We did not.
If we go back, we won't do this again... for the money it just wasn't that exciting. If you have kids, it would be great. That being said, the bus driver and all the guides and other employees were great and all very helpful.
I would recommend the short wet suit if you go on a warm day. I debated it, but for $8 I went for it and I was glad I did. But I would wait to change into it until after you get off the bus at the river (there are changing rooms). I put mine on at the meeting place where I rented it and almost burned up. The water is very cold (50 degrees when we were there).
You can take whatever you want on the bus and leave it there. Robin, the bus driver, never leaves the bus and picks you up downrivier, so your stuff will be fine.

1  Thank emp68
Barker-Ewing, Owner at Barker-Ewing Whitewater, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Hi emp68,

Thanks for your review and for choosing Barker-Ewing. The Snake River's class II/III whitewater section in Jackson Hole is a great river for first timers but fun for those of us that have rafted higher class rapids as well. I hope you and your husband did enjoy the trip overall! It's good to know you felt safe and were given good instructions on what to do if you found yourself outside the boat. It's true that there's no whitewater rafting inside Yellowstone or Grand Teton, but hopefully you enjoyed the views in the Snake River Canyon. Just a quick side note on wet suits: We ask guests to change in our town changing rooms for a couple of reasons: they're spacious; we can maintain their cleanliness; and, the river put-in process is more efficient. Thanks again for your feedback.

Heather Ewing

Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Our guide Alex made the trip fun and interesting. Water was great, took time out to admire birds, jump on water and trade roles. We did the 8 person raft and highly recommend this group!!

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Arriving at the Barker Ewing Headquarters we met a friendly staff that had the answer to any question a mind could conjure. The wet suits and rented equipment looked brand new and fully functional. I would highly recommend the overnight trip, the food and camping was second to non I have experienced out in the bush. Luke, our guide had more than enough info on the river he should probably start a history course at the local college. All in all, stop searching for river company, Barker Ewing has the package your looking for!