“Decent-not amazing”

Rusty Parrot Lodge and Spa
Ranked #2 of 40 Hotels in Jackson
Reviewed August 5, 2010

My husband and I spent 4 nights here and, while it seemed to be the nicest of the in-town hotels, we were disapointed and did not find it worth the expensive nightly rate. Jackson is an adorable town and being able to walk to many great restaurants and quaint shops was very convenient but the rooms are just average. The front desk ranged from warm and friendly to almost cold and there was a major customer service snaffu during our stay which really wasn't excusable. The food (breakfast and dinner) were very good but dinner again doesn't seem entirely worth the hefty price. There are no views to speak of and the hot tub, while nice, is very small and on a very small desk. So, bottom line, it's decent but not a spectacular hotel.

1  Thank newyorkgal07

Reviewed July 21, 2010

My wilfe and I were debating whether or not to stay at the Rusty Parrot or the Snake River Lodge in Teton Village. Since both hotels were non refundable, we decided to book one night at the Rusty Parrot and if we liked it, we would extend our stay. Otherwise, our plan was to move to the Snake River Lodge. I am thankful that I did not book my entire stay at this hotel. While it is just off the main street in down town Jackson and thus is convenient to down town, it does not offer the views for which most people travel to the area. If shopping for T-shirts, western wear and turquoise jewelry is your thing, you may want to consider a down town hotel, but if horses, wildlife and the beauty of mountains and the outdoors is what you are looking for, consider the Snake River Lodge or its more upscale neighbor, The Four Seasons.

Upon arriving at the Rusty Parrot, I was surprised at not only the small size of the hotel, but the rooms as well. First we entered a tiny lobby where we were greeted warmly and shown to our room, an upper level king. Fortunately I did not opt to save $30.00 by taking a garden level room as it is essentially in the basement with a window overlooking the lawn. When I state overlooking, I should be clear that it is practically on the lawn. In any event, our room faced a street and was about the size of a room you would get at an older Holiday Inn. In fact, rooms at a Courtyard by Marriott are much roomier. While I will admit that the bed was very comfortable, it certainly was not worth the $470 price tag for the one night. Moreover, the L'Occitane bath products did not make up for the price as I could have purchased a years supply by sleeping elsewhere. The room was rather dark and the bathroom had a high bathtub/shower which was difficult to get in and out of. As for amenities, cookies in the lounge just don't cut it. As for the breakfast which was included in the price at what is billed at a top Jackson restaurant, it was very disappointing. There was a limited selection to choose from and the items on the bar for tasting were sparse. All in all, if spending money is your thing for less than luxurious accomodations, by all means book your room at the Rusty Parrot. Yes it is clean and comfortable, but not worth the price.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CruisinFlorida
JackAustin, Owner at Rusty Parrot Lodge and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2010

We always appreciate an honest evaluation of how we are doing. We pay professionals to stay anonymously and fill out a 14 page report that goes into depth on every aspect of our operation. AAA and Small Luxury Hotels of the World send inspectors that do the same thing. We do drop the ball on occasion and appreciate it when someone lets us know. On the rare occasion that we do have an unhappy guest we tend to be more upset than they are.
Our website has been designed to set realistic expectations for the lodge. All of our reservation agents are trained not to oversell. Sometimes an article will do that. An example would be when the readers of Travel and Leisure voted us the #1 hotel in North America and Canada. That set an expectation level that was a little lofty.
The traveler that wants an experience that reflects the real Jackson Hole will appreciate the Rusty Parrot. Tourists that prefer the familiar surrounding offered by franchised properties might prefer other hotels. Jackson Hole is a unique and magical place. Our goal is to enhance your stay in a way that shows the true face of Jackson Hole
After 20 years we are trying to improve on a format for breakfast that has set us apart. It is a work in progress and sometimes we think that we should have left it alone. The reviews by the two couples from Florida have a valid point about breakfast on the day they stayed with us. Their experience with breakfast was not up to the standard that we expect. I regret that we disappointed them this time.
I am proud of our staff and how they treat out guests. Last week as I visited with folks at breakfast one made a point to let me know that one of our breakfast servers, without being asked, had gone to the health food store to get something that the guest mentioned she would like for breakfast. That adorable waitress understands the service level we set for ourselves at The Rusty Parrot.
Note: This response is the same as the one we posted for Sterlingtravelgal since it appears these couples were traveling together.

Ron Harrison
Owner
The Rusty Parrot Lodge

Reviewed July 19, 2010

I was very dissapointed overall with my accomodations. The room was just ok ; far from luxurious; the decoration were a bit over done . I must add that the bed was very comfortable and that's where the story ends. The bathroom was annoying to use the tub/shower.The price was really very high for what I had imagined. Breakfast was a bust as I felt the adorable waitress was not accomodating as there were few choices for breakfast to begin with and that dissapointed me as well. It was not what I had anticipated as I experienced dissapointment overall. Rusty Parrot Lodge- needs some fixin' to fly right in my book!

4  Thank Sterlingtravelgal

After 20 years we are trying to improve on a format for breakfast that has set us apart. It is a work in progress and sometimes we think that we should have left it alone. The reviews by the two couples traveling together from Florida have a valid point about breakfast on the day they stayed with us. Their experience with breakfast was not up to the standard that we expect. I regret that we disappointed them this time.
Note: This response is the same as the one we posted for Cruisinflorida since it appears these couples were traveling together.

Ron Harrison
Owner
The Rusty Parrot Lodge

Reviewed July 12, 2010

Excellent service, terrific rooms, perfect location, and a restauarnt to die for!

Reviewed July 12, 2010

The sign was a bit hidden with the trees but once we found it, we didn't want to leave. Great small hotel. Everything just feels right. Staff is exellent. Rooms quiet and spacious. Super thick towels and wonderful product. Location is great just a block or two off the crowded main streets.

We had an awesome prix fix meal. Flavors were outstanding. Very pleased they could work us in. Offered to change into some nicer clothes, but no worries. That's the great thing about the whole area, come as you are. Also recommend walking across the park to eat at the Blue Lion. Pearl Street Bakery is a great place to grab a bagel and tea.

Reviewed March 25, 2010

The fact that there are reviews which don't give 5 stars shows me some people will have a hard time ever being pleased. The Rusty Parrot is a fine place to stay in Jackson if elegance and luxury still combined with a western ambiance are what you are looking for. One of the nights we were there, an accident closed the pass from Idaho and we couldn't get back before the Restaurant closed. We called ahead and the kitchen remained open and waited for us. THAT is service!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 8, 2010

My husband and I stayed there for 3 nights and were bummed we had to leave. From the check in to the check out, everything was perfect. The staff was so friendly and helpful. We had a very early flight the day we checked out. The chef at the restaurant the Wild Sage made sure we had a to-go bag filled with breakfast burritos and fresh fruit. I can't say enough about the restaurant Wild Sage. We had the prix fix menu for $35.00 per person. This meal was just a burst of flavor with each bite. I mentioned it to my ski instructor the next day. He is a local and said by far it is the best restaurant in town.
The rooms are well appointed. We had a king with a wood burning fireplace. The bedding is lovely and the bed quite comfortable.
Last, the home made cookies left out for the guests was another great touch. I would go back to this lodge in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mellieak
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
Hotel Jackson
1 mi away
Wyoming Inn of Jackson Hole
Hotel Terra Jackson Hole, A Noble House Resort
Huff House Inn and Cabins

Been to Rusty Parrot Lodge and Spa? Share your experiences!