Travelodge Green River
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Western Inn(Green River)
Great 4.5/5
View Hotel
Coachman Inn Motel(Green River)
View Hotel
Little Bear Motel(Green River)
Good 3.5/5
Clarion Hotel(Rock Springs)
Very Good 4/5
Motel 6 Rock Springs(Rock Springs)
Average 3/5
  • Pool
Quality Inn(Rock Springs)
Good 3.5/5
All reviewspenny's dinerthe oak tree innbreakfast vouchersroom was cleanopen hoursseparate buildingsflaming gorgeovernight stophotel propertyan extra pillowno elevatorrefrigerator and microwavefirst floorgreat food and servicemade to order breakfastworked finestaff was friendly
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 17, 2008

This hotel is used primarily by the Engineers/Conductors who work for the Union Pacific Railroad to sleep while away from home. You'll see plenty of train crews here outside smoking and joking away at all hours of the day.

Be sure to ask the front desk staff for a "commercial room" so you'll be sure to have a room that will not subject you to the dirt/grime that the railroad rooms suffer from. The brown bag that is handed out as mentioned in the previous post is true. The railroad crews are only given the luxury of a bar of soap in the rooms. Otherwise it is bring your own soap, shampoo and coffee.

While most think that Penny's Diner is the best thing in town, you may be better suited to head over to Rock Springs (why not stay there as well?) unless you wish to eat in an establishment where the staff smokes outside the backdoor and then comes in and serves you. The cleanliness of the diner is also something to worry about.

If you are in a jam, stay here. But if you can get 30 miles east to one of the hotels/motels in Rock Springs, you'll find the choices much more appealing than this flea bag.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 1, 2008

I needed a hotel for a week-long stay, and all of the reviews on tripadvisor.com led me to believe that the Oak Tree Inn would be quite satisfactory. Unfortunately, what I consider decent must differ from what others consider decent.

The hotel staff was friendly. I was handed an odd little stapled brown bag upon check-in which I discovered contained two packets of coffee and condiments, and a bottle of shampoo. When my room was made up the first day, the cleaning person neither replenished the coffee nor did she clean the coffee pot. It became apparent that I was going to have to stop at the front desk each day to request more coffee, so I just went and bought my own that tasted better anyway.

The bathroom was very clean, with what appeared to be a brand new tub. Unfortunately, the light switch was outside of the bathroom, and being alone, I repeatedly went in to use the toilet, leaving the door open, but then had to close the door in order to access the toilet paper. Then I was stuck in the dark! Sounds silly, but it was very irritating by the third day. Not to mention the toilet paper was the cheapest and scratchiest I've ever encountered. EVER. As were the towels.

The hotel is "100% non-smoking", which means all of the gas field workers are constantly outside, smoking, which after a while gets really irritating as well. You cannot get in or out of your building without being subjected to someone puffing away.

The bed itself was comfortable, and I had no complaints about the noise level. I noticed train noises in the hallway, but would enter my room to find I could no longer hear them.

The TV remote didn't have a "sleep" function, which was also annoying after many days, when you're used to having that available. I was glad the room had an alarm clock, because I forgot to pack mine, but my wake up noises were limited to nature sounds (I couldn't pull in any radio stations) and I had to listen to birds squawk me awake every day.

There were two refrigerators in the room - why??? One got unplugged at one point because there wasn't a single free outlet anywhere that was readily accessible - you had to unplug the microwave in order to plug in the hair dryer. The refrigerator ended up defrosting and pouring water all over my shoes. I had to unplug something every night to plug in my computer and cell phone.

Some of the rooms were in the process of being repainted during my stay. I definitely got one that must have been next on the list. It was not filthy (and being muddy at the end of every day myself, I understand how hard it must be to keep a hotel carpet clean) but it was very banged up. I often wonder if you get the worst room when you book with a AAA discount. Having recently stayed in a very, very nice hotel 150 miles down the road with a AAA rate that was only ten dollars more per night, I have to say that the Oak Tree Inn is not a place I'd recommend, but you're going to have a hard time finding decent rates for a decent hotel in this area.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 13, 2008

We stopped at Green River en route from SLC to Laramie. The town's a little desolate but, we believe, there aren't many other hotel options available.

On our way we drove the Mirror Lake Scenic Highway passed snow and beautiful views, visited Evanston for provisions close by I84 and called in at Fort Bridger, just missing the annual Pony Express Association rode through. Aww!

Oak Tree Inn is large and very busy but staff were helpful and friendly. The facilities were spotless and quiet. We'd read reviews about noisy railworkers coming and going through the night but we slept well.

Betty's Diner is alongside the hotel. It's cheap and chearful.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EdinburghNomad
Reviewed September 23, 2007

Green River is a small town in Wyoming, known mostly for its connections to the railroad. We visited as part of a trip around Utah, Colorado and Wyoming, it was pictures taken at Green River that first inspired my fiancés interest in American trains several years ago. We booked the motel through ebookers, and when we arrived the receptionist said she recognised our name but didn’t actually have our reservation for that evening. However she quickly assigned us a room, exactly as we had booked and took a copy of the email print out I had with me to sort out any problems that arose later. We were given our room key, along with a brown paper bag containing a breakfast voucher, shampoo and coffee.

The reception area had an ice machine and other vending machines, and I believe that these were also available in the doorway to each building.

As all Oak Tree Inn’s they are primarily set up for Union Pacific Railroad employees, but fill any spare capacity with paying guests. This was not obvious during our stay, I only read this when I arrived home. We did have views of the railroad, which of course pleased my railroad fan fiancé, and the motel is just off the interstate. I did not notice any noise from the road or railway during the night. Their website states that the rooms are deliberately noise and light proofed to help the railroad employees on shiftwork to sleep.

The motel is a very large complex; spread over 4 separate buildings each with 2 floors. I didn’t find out the total number of rooms. Rooms on the ground floor, (1st floor in America!) have doors opening to the carpark space outside the door. Access to upstairs rooms was via stairs at either end of the building and the doors open on to internal corridors. There is a Penny’s Diner in the grounds; this is a traditional 1950s American Diner! The food was great, typically cheap and plenty of it. Very little choice for vegetarians, but then that’s normal for Wyoming too! The diner is open 24 hours a day, presumably to feed the hungry engineers and railroad staff who come and go at all times of day! The inn supplies a voucher for free breakfast at the diner, this cannot be used for dinner, but is valid for the most expensive breakfasts on the menu! You do have to pay taxes and of course the tip.

Our spotlessly clean room had a king sized bed, and a recliner to sit in whilst watching the large TV, in the corner was a fridge and microwave. The bathroom has a bath with shower over. There is a hairdryer in the room, and we had too many TV channels to count.

We only had one night in Green River so I can’t tell you what the room servicing was like. The inn has a gym and whirlpool, but we didn't use it.

We paid $78 plus 8% tax for a room for two people through ebookers, getting a little cashback thorugh Quidco. A quick look at their website shows that booking direct may be a little more expensive, but it would be possible to guarantee a king sized bed. Rooms with two queen sized beds are also available.

We would definitely go back to this hotel, and will look out for others in the same chain on future visits to the USA.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ruthiejane
Reviewed September 20, 2006

We were on our way to Yellowstone and looked for a place stay that would break the trip from Vail. All the hotels in Rock Spings were full and based upon other reviews, we chose to stay in the Oak Tree Inn.

First, one might find the constant inflow and outflow of people into the Inn a bit disconcerting. However, air travelers know that air crews are required to have mandatory rest breaks. The trains are no different and this Inn serves the rails. Others have noted this. However, the staff also serves the traveling public on I-80.

The Inn was remarkably quiet and the rooms large and comforatable. Don't expect big, plush towels or high thread count sheets (pretty budget-minded standard fare), but the beds and the recliner in the room were comfortable. My wife noted the nice shower pressure.

When the Inn is full, don't expect to be able to get an extra pillow either. I don't think there are any elevators so if you need a first floor room, make sure you specify it. Remember, you are at a significant altitude and running up and down stairs can test your conditioning.

I got take-out from the diner at the entrance to the property. It was fine and reasonably priced. The diner was going to be closed for breakfast, so we didn't receive a breakfast voucher. There were people who were given vouchers for breakfast not knowing that the diner was going to be closed.

If you get there after dark, you are in for a bit of a surprise in the morning. The backdrop to the Inn is pretty dramatic.

We went into downtown Green River (worth the drive) and ate breakfast at the Crazy Moose. Great place and a very good breakfast if you want an alternative to the diner. Stop at the Centennial Park downtown.

For an overnight stop we found this to be a good value.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family