“More like roach motel”

National 9 Inn Gillette
Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Gillette
Reviewed May 23, 2013

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL especially if you have children......this hotel looks decent on the website and the lobby looks nice enough, its a trick once you go into the halls and further to your room you will see wallpaper peeling off the walls. Nails sticking out of stairs and the base of the wall. The whole hotel smells like an ashtray even the "non-smoking" rooms stink like an ashtray. There was what looks like blood splatter on the lamp shade and wall. The bathrooms were dirty and there was a hole in the wall covered by a piece of wood nailed to the wall. There was still plaster on the floor. The mattress was extremely stained with what looked like blood but unknown what it really was. I could not even air out the room as there is no air no fan and the window was in a windowed hallway. I have never seen a hotel so bad we left for lunch and decided to book a room at the best western. We got 2 adjoining rooms for a fair price of $76 more than the national 9 but the extra money was very much worth it. the Best Western is non-smoking clean, updated, great customer service ,great pool and nice rooms. when we went back to the national 9 to get our stuff the lady at the front desk was rude and told us we would have to contact corporate office to get a refund. We even had some pictures but she stated there was nothing she could do about it. I called corporate on Tuesday after waiting 24 hours for a return call I had to call again I got a phone call back right away once I mentioned I made a complaint to the BBB and called the local health inspector. I have now been refunded and the Lady I spoke with at Corporate told me that the front desk lady said there was no record of a complaint and they could tell the rooms were not used so they refunded the money. hmmmm really? I told her that I notified the BBB and the Health inspector and she said thanks a lot here we are trying to help you out this does not help us out at all. All I have to say is shame on you national 9 for taking good money from people to stay in that health hazard of a dump. It is not my job to help you out your company needs to follow health standards and regulations. Your front desk clerk needs to be a little more flexible when guests are complaining about the sanitation of the room. I have 3 young children one has severe asthma and has an attack when we walked in. Your website is complete false advertisement. it was a huge inconvenience to my family to haul all of our stuff in only to turn around and pay for another 2 hotel rooms and than haul all of our stuff out. There were 6 of us and a lot of stuff. It is your job to make sure that you are actually giving good customer service and that your hotel is sanitary. Just because the rooms are cheap does not give the establishment the right to skimp on health and safety as for the complaints I made to the BBB and health inspector if you are following regulations you will have nothing to worry about. I will never stay at another National 9 ever in my life. lesson learned and for now on I will be checking out the room and hotel before I check in. I have attached a few pictures that my husband took its a shame I did not take more but really I just wanted to get out. There is another review on here where a couple posted some really good pictures that really capture the nastiness of this hotel I wish I had looked at that review before I booked online.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Christine H
Casper99, Owner at National 9 Inn Gillette, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear Christine H.

I am sorry that our services did not please you. As was mentioned in your review we 100% refunded your money. You mentioned in your review that it had to come from corporate, the fact is we will refund anyone who is unhappy with their room withing the first hour, after that time period all refunds have to be done at the direction of the corporate office. You also mentioned in your review a dirty lamp shade, it was dirty and has been replaced and I can assure you that its not blood like you claimed. As the owner I take offense that you label us as a Roach Motel when we have never had roaches and actively do our very best to keep things clean. You also mentioned a hole in the wall, we thoroughly inspected both rooms your were in and can only conclude that the hole you are trying to refer to was the access panel that we have in all rooms to access the back of the shower plumbing, again, this is a panel.

Obviously we failed in meeting your expectations and for that I am truly sorry.

I am glad to hear that one of our sister properties in the city was able to make you more comfortable, I would urge you to write a review on their property as well.

K Howell - Owner

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Stayed midweek off - season so the price is lower I guess. I don't like staying in Gillette, mostly because the cheap hotels charge $70-100 a night. But I had too this trip and totally lucked out with this National 9 inn. Wow a comfortable King Sized bed and fridge/micro? Plus a large recently (last 15 years) updated room for around $50. I slept well and it was comfortable. Flat screen and nice bathroom. Plus coffee in the room, a great deal all around.

Downside - apparently you can still smoke in Gillette - pretty much anywhere so the halls smelled of smoke. But the hotel room did not and I will definitely stay here again. It's much nicer than any hotel room of this chain I have stayed in - even though I liked those ones too.

It sports a restaurant and bar too. I found a gem here after spending and avg of $77 each night at the motel 6. Not a bad place but worth the money in Gillette, when you are competing with oil workers for rooms.

Room Tip: This was one of the few places where it was cheaper to book through an online site than the hotel it...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Casper99, Owner at National 9 Inn Gillette, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear Ft. Collins Traveler, I want to thank you for your nice comments about our property. We do try to keep things reasonably priced while providing great service. If your travels lead you back to Gillette we hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Thanks again - K. Howell - Owner

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Traveling across country can be exhausting, especially when you have to search for a hotel through an unfamiliar city.

This hotel can be seen right off the I-90, and it's huge! Plenty of room for my rig.

Decently priced, has an old style feel to it... Felt like a hunting cabin, between the mounted old style furniture and decor in the lobby, including several mounted animals, elk, I think.

Rooms were spacious, with a fridge, microwave and flat screen TV.

Only one computer access point, in the lobby, and it was very slow. However, my phone connected with relative ease and speed.

I was checked in by a very pleasant, incredibly well dressed young man, wearing slacks, blazer, dress shirt and tie. He was knowledgeable about the area and sold me the other amenities of the property with ease (hotel and bar.)

For sixty something a night, I will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed: November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our property and we are glad that our service has pleased you. In relation to your comments about the internet, we just recently upgraded our internet speeds to be 3 times faster so hopefully in the future the internet will not be a problem. Thanks again for staying with us and we look forward to being of service in the future.

K Howell - Owner - National 9 Inn - Gillette

Reviewed August 26, 2012

When on a road trip, you end up stopping over in some unlikely places, Gillette is such a place... the National 9 inn has seen better days, and in need of an overhaul...BUT at under $70, its offer a large room, comfy beds and complimentary coffee.
It has a on-site bar and restaurant, although there are several good eating choices only a mile around the corner.
Its a large motel, so rooms are always available, and at the price, we had a good nights rest, if you are not too fussy about the decor (old), but clean sheets, fresh towels is all that matters after a long road trip...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Dirk 001,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are happy that you mentioned the important things, clean room, spacious, clean sheets and towels. We are an older property but try to spend our money where the customer will see and use it most. We thank you for being our guest and hope we can serve your lodging needs in the future.

K Howell - Owner - National 9 Gillette

Reviewed July 1, 2012

large rooms with two wash basins. All the normal amenties. Corridors show lots of use. Reasonably Good location off the I-90.Offers no breakfast as they control or own the onsite restaurant/bar. Plenty of parking.Free coffee,tea,hot chocoate 24/7 in lobby and a lounge area. Brochure states a pool in summer well I was their in July and the pool was totally unserviceable ie almost empty and dirty with rubbish in what water there was. Sign said $49.95 rooms but sorry they were all goine however the sign displayed $49.95 all night despite updating the other info eg time,temeratures etc

Room Tip: Check out the room not a weekly room and yes the halls smell of smoke despite the ground floor being...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Weekly rooms stink like old ashtrays. Water temperature randomly became scalding then freezing. No coffee maker? However, the nightly rooms are much nicer. Front desk staff very cool. Faxed my timesheets for free. Restaurant was weird.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I came over to this hotel from the Howard Johnson which is right next to it because they were treating me and my colleagues badly. I stayed in the weekly rooms, which were alright, they were very outdated and dark, but seemed relatively clean to this 20 year old guy, now I know if my girlfriend was there, she wouldn't have thought it was clean enough. The service was really great, and the weekly price was the lowest I could find in the area.

• Stayed: September 2011