“Great Location - Uniformly Polite Staff - Clean and Comfortable”

Wingate by Wyndham Gillette
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Gillette
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I travel a fair amount; in the last 12 months I've spent at least 75 nights in various types of hotels, resorts, and motels. The Wingate in Gillette would certainly hold its own in terms of value received for the money spent.

fyi, Gillette Wyoming is a bit of an outpost (population @ 32,000) whose principal reason for being is to service our country's energy needs; it's central to a huge coal reserve and several mines, along with many traditional oil, gas, and coal-bed methane wells. As a result, the hospitality business in town pretty much revolves around traveling vendors, techs, trouble shooters, and mid-level management and supervisors for all things related to the energy industry.

Reservations were not as easy as they should have been, given the Wyndham wordwide reservation system and all the various independent online hotel booking services (Trivago, Hotels.com, Priceline, and AARP-Expedia). Interestingly enough, the Wyndham website itself DID NOT quote the lowest price... which supposedly they should. Since the hotel ends up paying a commission to any third-party booking sites, you'd assume you could get the best deal with them directly... that was not the case in our instance.

I found the lowest online price at Experdia-AARP.com, which quoted me $68.08 for a King Non-Smoking Room. When I called the front desk of the property directly (not the Wyndham 800 number), I asked what their best rate was and I was quoted $86 per night for the same category of room. I pressed verbally for a better rate; none was offered.

When I told the very polite gentleman answering the phone, Gradlying (apparently the hotel's GM), that I was looking at an Expedia-AARP Rate of $68.08 online, he seemed a bit nonplussed. I snapped a picture of the computer screen with my iPhone and sent it to him. That settled the matter; he said he would honor that price.

I'm not sure how an external website can offer a better price than the "house", but this is now the second time this has happened to me in two months at two unrelated properties??

I guess it pays to shop around...

In any event, check-in for our two night week-end stay (we were in town for a consumer trade show) was a breeze and Destiny, the Front Desk clerk could not have been more polite or helpful.

Our King-bedded room, #109, was very spacious, nicely decorated in muted beige and teal colors, and quite clean... as was the entire property; it's kept very tidy. Our room had a very nice desk and chair, along with an easy chair and separate reading light.

This Wingate has nice amenities, including a business center, exercise room, and indoor pool and Jacuzzi.

I used the pool and the water was warm and clean, however, the Jacuzzi was "out of order".

In reading back over several prior reviews on TripAdvisor, I notice the Jacuzzi has been broken since early December. Sounds to me like we have a cheap owner who doesn't want to spend the money necessary to properly fix it.

When you call to reserve, ask if the Jacuzzi/Spa is working; if it hasn't been repaired, book elsewhere. I've found that's the best way to get chronically deferred major maintenance corrected. If folks stop booking and staying here because of overly delayed repairs, management will "get the message" and get it fixed promptly.

The breakfast buffet included was very nice, with a broad assortment of both hot and cold offerings, including a very popular fresh waffle machine. The dining room is kept very clean and there is a wide-screen TV with news or weather running. Coffee was hot and decent; an assortment of teas and hot water are there also.

This hotel is only a 5 minute straight-shot down Box Elder Road to the Camplex (Gillette's convention and multipurpose event venue). Other restaurants and shopping are literally within walking distance. Plenty of free parking.

We enjoyed our stay here and would certainly consider staying here again when we return to Gillette. I feel comfortable making a positive recommendation to any personal, family, or business travelers... just call and ask them if their Jacuzzi/Spa is fixed yet.

I suspect some repeated inquiries will light a fire under the butt of management and get this lingering problem FIXED.

Note: there are at least a handful of competent spa service companies in the general region; I live about 75 miles east of Gillette in a town of 13,000. I own a high-end spa at my home and can get it competently fixed within 24 hours; no excuse here.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank SamKephart
Gradlying B, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Gillette, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Just wanted to let you know that we appreciate your business and that the Hot Tub is
working. Come back to see us anytime. It was nice chatting with you as well.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

This is my Favorite Place in Gillette. The rooms are clean, and the people are awesome. Gradyling and Peggy are 2 of my favorites. The connection on the TV s needs to be update. The poor display is the result of a bad connection. If they fixed those cable connections the place would be Superiors. And then there is the Jacuzzi......

Room Tip: Tell Gradyling that Kevin referred you and you may.... Get a free bottle of water. I said may.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank 105FedTraveller
Gradlying B, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Gillette, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Thanks we really do appreciate your business and if there is anything
we can to make your stay more pleasant please let us know! We are
working on the hot hub...

Reviewed January 13, 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham
Gradlying B, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Gillette, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Reviewed December 8, 2013

The hotel was quite nice. The breakfast was especially good. Disappointed that the Jacuzzi wasn't working. Also, given that there were very few guests, we wished they would have spread us out a bit more... the vast majority of the rooms were empty, but someone was put right above us & we could hear them in the early in the morning - if they were placed a room or two over, we wouldn't have heard them. TV picture quality wasn't very clear. Light bulb was missing on desk lamp.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul M
Gradlying B, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Gillette, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Thanks for the input we are taking care of the
situations you have put before us. If there is ever
a problem please let us know, no matter what the hour
is. Again thanks for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kim O

Reviewed November 12, 2013

This was my first time staying here when in Gillette. The rooms were clean, staff friendly. I enjoyed the breakfast selection. I also liked the location, close to Applebee's, Old Chicago, Walmart & Kmart. I will be staying here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Gradlying B, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Gillette, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

It was our pleasure to serve you.If you are ever in the area please
come back and see us. Thanks again!

Reviewed November 8, 2013