“Great Mexican”

Cuisines: Mexican
Portland, Oregon
“Great Mexican”
Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

This place was across the street from my hotel so I decided to give it a try.

It's small, cozy and cheerful. Not a place for quiet solitude as the next table may be at your elbow. In spite of the close quarters it was comfortable and warm.

The food was great! Awesome salsa and good tortilla chips. The Carne Asada was as good as any I have had-ANYWHERE.

The service was top notch. Very attentive without being intrusive.

Prices were very fair.

I will go back.

Cheyenne, Wyoming
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Authentic Affordable Mexican Food!”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Los Campadres offers delicious meals served in large portions with excellent service! The staff is incredibly friendly with huge smiles and attentive service. The food is quite good and authentic, and because the portions are so large, we always take home our leftovers and have another meal. I never miss an opportunity to dine at this restaurant when I'm in Gillette, and have recommended it to many people.

“Nice friendly place”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

By far the best Mexican food since moving from Coastal California. We've tried restaurants in Montana, South Dakota, and Wyoming, everyone of them has been terrible. The portions are large, but you pay for them. We ordered a burrito that cost $12. It was very good and the service was excellent. Although, when using the restroom, the kitchen was extremely dirty. As a former restaurant owner, I would encourage them to clean better. Your customers do see the mess.

Antananarivo, Antananarivo, Madagascar
“Giant tasty portions at good prices”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

It was quite a surprise to find quality Mexican food in Gillette! The portions were huge, food was hot and pretty tasty, and the service fast and attentive. The chips and salsa were some of the best I've had, though I probably wouldn't order the vegetarian fajitas again, due to availability of much better choices. I would definitely come back here next time I pass through town.

Billings, Montana
“Best in three states.”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Background--I spent 18 years in the Phoenix valley. My wife grew up there and spent over 25 years. We believe we know Mexican food.

Los Compadres offers something akin to Sonoran style Mexican. It's good and common in Arizona, but nearly impossible to find up north. So, Gillette Wyoming has a tiny little restaurant in an old fast-food building. And the best Mexican food we've found in Montana, Wyoming or South Dakota. That's impressive.

I can honestly say I had the best taco I've ever eaten. Let me tell you--generally, a taco is a taco. Not here. This one was shredded beef, simmered in a wonderful sauce and loaded into a shell with lots of cheese. Ask for an extra napkin. Or three. The enchilada was equally good, as was the chilie relleno. Spouse had the carne asada--again. She took the leftovers home.

We've stopped here three years in a row. Each time, we've arrived mid-afternoon and were heading home--another three hours. So, I have no idea if they offer beer or wine; certainly no mixed drinks. And still, it's the best Mexican meal we've enjoyed up here.

The service was friendly, the business was steady. As we left at 4:30 on a Sunday afternoon, there were four tables of customers, another waiting to be seated and two take-out bags ready to go. I can only imagine how busy it must be on a Friday or Saturday evening. The customers were primarily Hispanic--a pretty good indication of "authentic."

Drawbacks? It's small. The music was much too loud for us old folks and it wasn't the traditional mariachi, but what must be popular Mexican music. We didn't care for it, though I found myself tapping my toe as I left. It won't prevent our return.

This is one of the best Mexican meals I've eaten, the only better are 900 miles to the south.

• Visited August 2013