“Best in three states.”

Cuisines: Mexican
Billings, Montana
“Best in three states.”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Background--I spent 18 years in the Phoenix valley. My wife grew up there and spent over 25 years. We believe we know Mexican food.

Los Compadres offers something akin to Sonoran style Mexican. It's good and common in Arizona, but nearly impossible to find up north. So, Gillette Wyoming has a tiny little restaurant in an old fast-food building. And the best Mexican food we've found in Montana, Wyoming or South Dakota. That's impressive.

I can honestly say I had the best taco I've ever eaten. Let me tell you--generally, a taco is a taco. Not here. This one was shredded beef, simmered in a wonderful sauce and loaded into a shell with lots of cheese. Ask for an extra napkin. Or three. The enchilada was equally good, as was the chilie relleno. Spouse had the carne asada--again. She took the leftovers home.

We've stopped here three years in a row. Each time, we've arrived mid-afternoon and were heading home--another three hours. So, I have no idea if they offer beer or wine; certainly no mixed drinks. And still, it's the best Mexican meal we've enjoyed up here.

The service was friendly, the business was steady. As we left at 4:30 on a Sunday afternoon, there were four tables of customers, another waiting to be seated and two take-out bags ready to go. I can only imagine how busy it must be on a Friday or Saturday evening. The customers were primarily Hispanic--a pretty good indication of "authentic."

Drawbacks? It's small. The music was much too loud for us old folks and it wasn't the traditional mariachi, but what must be popular Mexican music. We didn't care for it, though I found myself tapping my toe as I left. It won't prevent our return.

This is one of the best Mexican meals I've eaten, the only better are 900 miles to the south.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Robert D

Millbrook
“Good Food/Good Price”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Dined with my family at Los Compadres on August 12, 2013. We used Tripadvisor to identify the restaurant and found the reviews adequate. Food was tasty and so plentiful we couldn't finish our entrees. My wife enjoyed her frozen margarita. We got off the road a little after 8PM and had no problem getting a table; I could see having to wait during peak dining hours. If you enjoy Mexican cuisine then you will love Los Compadres. Décor is a little hokey, but not bad. The servers were friendly and attentive with excellent cross coverage. We would dine there again given the chance. Dinner for 2 adults, 14 & 12 year old daughters and 9 year old son (apps, entrees and 1 alcoholic bev.) $58.40

• Visited August 2013
Tucson, Arizona
“Wonderful Mexican Food”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This Mexican restaurant has the locals eating here -- a very good sign. We're from Tucson and know good Mexican food and this was GOOD. The waiters were very energetic and enthusiastic.

Visited July 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
“Fantastic and Authentic”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We were in town visiting family and this place was recommended.

We have been to Mexico many times and found the food at Los Compadres to be not only taste wonderful but very authentic as well.

The staff was wonderful and the prices very fair.

Highly recommended.

• Visited July 2013
Springfield, Missouri
“Good Mex”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Visit was during a Motorhome Rally and all restaurants were busy. No problem here: food was excellent and the margaritas were great. Service was very good. You could see the locals ate here also.

• Visited June 2013