“In comparison...”

Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Gillette
new york
“In comparison...”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

From what I saw of the other places in Gillette, this is head and shoulders above anything else in town. Plenty of parking, big breakfast buffet, huge room, huge bathroom, good bed. Worked for me! (there is an exercise room: 3 running machines. better than nothing!)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Better than the big chains: This is a real nice setup and came recommended to us by friends who used to live nearby in SD and also by owners of both of the restaurants we used in Spearfish, SD. Word of mouth gets around, and it is well worth the stay here. Big rooms, great beds, excellent breakfast (with diverse options) - and good staff support in every area. I am unsure if I will ever be in Gillette again, but would stay here for sure. The other reviews here on Trip say the same - a nice place where everything went right.

2 Thank DS_Stockdale
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The Arbuckle Lodge in Gillette, WY is a great place to stay! The decor is terrific! Be sure to check out the buffalo head with the cowboy hat! The staff is very friendly and courteous. Great breakfast buffet, well taken care of. We had a king room and it was really well designed and decorated. The bed was fantastic, hadn't slept that well in a long time.

Room Tip: We enjoyed a top floor room. It was very quiet. The East side is cooler, as the west faces the sun...
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This was my first time to willingly choose a hotel that was not a "brand-name" that I recognized. And it was because of the many good reviews on TripAdvisor. We found the double queen room to be larger, cleaner, and quieter than expected with a well-appointed bathroom. There was no noisy heating/air-conditioning; it just worked well without any problems. The multiple breakfast offerings were a nice surprise. Donuts, pancakes, biscuits and gravy, breakfast burritos, oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, bagels, and English muffins. And a sweet lady kept the food area constantly replenished. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Altadena
Reviewed August 13, 2013

After a couple of nights with my son at "rest stop inn" we decided to choose a hotel for a night while touring spectacular Wyoming. This hotel was a very pleasant surprise and one that I will not too soon forget. As President of a group tour company, I rate this hotel solid 5-star. The reception was very cordial and the room more than adequate. Further, even though we stayed during the busy summer season, the hotel offered us a very reasonable rate. Should I bring a group to this area, I will certainly make this hotel my choice. Service seems to be a priority for this hotel and we were not at all disappointed. In fact, when you enter your room you will see a welcome card that I found unique in the lodging industry. Written on the card is the service mission of this hotel that I felt should be shared:

Welcome!

We Hope that God will grant you peace and rest while you are under our roof.

We want you to be as comfortable and happy as you would be in your own home.

May the business that brought you our way prosper.

May every call you make and every message you receive add to your joy.

When you leave us, may your journey be safe.

May your days be rewarding, profitable for society, inspirational to those you meet,
and a blessing to those who know and love you.

We are all travelers, who at birth began a journey through eternity.

We appreciate you giving us the opportunity to serve you.

Arbuckle Lodge Management

Everything we experienced with this hotel confirmed a commitment to this wonderful service statement.

Note: we did not rate the restaurant but the morning complimentary breakfast was more than adequate.

So different was this gesture, I will adopt a similar

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Mary K, Director of Sales at Arbuckle Lodge Gillette, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thanks, Tommy, for your kind words! We're so glad you enjoyed your stay here at Arbuckle Lodge. Our owners created the "welcome" card you mentioned. They're genuinely kind people who wish the best for all our guests so the card is an excellent reflection of their feelings. Please call when you're ready to talk about tour groups. We would welcome the opportunity to work with you!
Gillette, Wyoming
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Have been staying here for business for the last 4 months wouldn't ask to stay anywhere else the staff make the stay even better. Gabby is normally here when we check in takes very good care of us. Manda has been excellent to work with had some issues with too many rooms booked for us she took care of it before we left. This motel is a little off the main traffic areas but well worth the stay. Dinner is more snack wise as there are food joints for eating. There are worse places to stay. If you want a bed that compares to the expensive bed stay here. Wished I could say more about breakfast but we leave before they start serving at 6 am. If you want to stay at the Hampton Inn am sorry but you have no taste for a great place to stay. How better to say welcome to Wyoming than a stay at the Arbuckle.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Heath B
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We drove many hours from Montana and chose the Arbuckle Lodge in Gillette WY to spend a night because of its #1 rating on Trip Advisor for Gillette. I had requested a first floor room near the lobby and was looking forward to the Manager's Reception. When we walked in, no one was at the desk. Soon, Gabby appeared. I asked her if our room was close to the lobby. Her response, "Close enough." When I noted an empty lobby, I asked if we had missed the Manager's Reception. She told me we had about 10 minutes left, so we rushed to get the luggage in the lobby and took the cart near the food. I couldn't believe the canister of iced tea, 3 pickle slices, and a crockpot with tiny hotdogs. Period. Nothing else. I've been to many Manager's Receptions and had never seen anything like this. My husband took the luggage to the room while I returned to the front desk to register my disappointment with Gabby's rudeness and the horrid food we didn't eat. MANDA, the front desk manager came out and apologized. She was lovely and visibly upset and offered to make this right in any way. I thanked her and said I wasn't looking for compensation. I just wanted someone to know this wasn't a #1 property. I went to my room and it was large and clean, but the deodorizer smell was very strong. I tried to overlook it, but within 10 minutes, I knew I couldn't stay. I believe we had prepaid for the room, and it was possible they would not return our money. I STILL CALLED AND BOOKED A HAMPTON INN 5 miles away. The person I talked to there was a doll. (My next review will cover that excellent experience!) I then called the front desk and asked for Manda, but unfortunately she had left for the night. We gathered our things and hauled them back to the front desk where I again had Gabby. She presented the checkout bill which said we owed zero dollars, but I still don't know if we paid for two rooms on August 8th because it was after 8:00 pm when we left The Arbuckle Lodge. Rude check in, crummy Mgr 's Reception, overpowering chemical smell in room: we have NEVER before checked out the same evening. Don't risk it.

• Stayed August 2013
Mary K, Director of Sales at Arbuckle Lodge Gillette, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Your valuable feedback has allowed us to bring correction to an urgent personnel issue. Thank you. Your experience with Arbuckle is certainly not typical, but it's the only experience you've had with us so it doesn't matter that others had good experiences. You most certainly will not be charged for your stay. Manda has already apologized and let us say again, on behalf of management and ownership, how sorry we are that after a long day's drive, and getting in your room, you had to pack up and leave. If you look at our previous reviews, I don't believe we've ever had a complaint about our evening reception. The evening you were here we offered Johnsonville Lil Smokies with chips. The menu changes daily and could have been nachos, mini brats, soup, salad or meat & cheese, to name a few. It is not intended to be a meal but a light snack to tide you over until dinner. Since you arrived in the last ten minutes of our reception, the kitchen staff may have not replenished that close to tear-down time. We have spoken to those employees and asked they keep containers full for those last few minutes. I'm sure manager's receptions vary, like everything, from hotel to hotel. We believe it's a nice amenity offered only by Arbuckle Lodge and perhaps one other hotel in Gillette. We know you said you weren't looking for compensation and we believe you; yet, it would be our blessing if we could do something for you. Please call our GM, Margaret, at 307-685-6363 and provide your contact information so we can do that. Our guests are extra sets of eyes and ears. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to explain in detail what happened to you.