“Good if your just needing a place for the night”

Howard Johnson Inn Gillette
Ranked #22 of 25 Hotels in Gillette
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Stopped in to confirm they had rooms since the site said they were full. Had over 50 rooms available. Was $56. Rooms was clean. Our room was far from the office so took a bit of time to get hot hot water in shower but once we did it was good. Bathroom was clean bed was made messy and didn't look like other Howard Johnson hotels. Continental breakfast was the normal set up.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Debby S, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Gillette, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Dear Sarah,
Thank you very much for your reveiew. Any comments made are valuable to improving service and housekeeping at the hotel. We are happy you enjoyed your room and were pleased with cleaning during your stay.I want to assure you that we are looking into the issues you experienced. It is feedback such as yours that helps us constantly improve our hotel.
Looking forward to welcome you back.
Regards

There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Inn Gillette

Reviewed January 13, 2014

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Stayed here on two separate occasions while on my way to North Dakota. Decent bed, friendly from desk. Purchased via standard travel websites as a pay then find out hotel both times for a decent rate.

Room Tip: First night I was on the front side. Lots of diesel trucks in the lot, etc. Second night I was aroun...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Debby S, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Gillette, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Dear Steve,
We appreciate that you took the time to write about your recent stay with us at Howard Johnson Inn. We truly hope you come back and stay with us again, Please do not forget to let our front desk staff your favorit room , so you could have a good stay with us. Wish You back soon.
Best regards

Reviewed October 13, 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Roy R
Debby S, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Gillette, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Reviewed October 7, 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ShawnaRC
Debby S, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Gillette, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Upon arrival I inspected the room and found that the toilet handle was broken. Being an experienced home repair person I removed the toilet tank cover to find that not only was the handle broken but also the rod connecting the handle to flapper was broken off. I immediately informed the front desk person of the situation and requested another room. He informed me he would fix the toilet instead of relocating me. Two hours passed and no repairs. I went to the front desk and found a woman had replaced the man previously on duty. She thought he had fixed the problem. I said I was going to bed soon. She said she was sorry it didn't get fixed but said there was nothing she could do. In the morning at check out I asked for an adjustment to my room cost, but she again said there was nothing she could do. The result was I wound up having to reach down into the toilet tank each time I needed to flush the tank to manually raise the flapper to flush the toilet.

I expect an adjustment to my room cost.

Robert Anderson
1316 Martha Street N
Stillwater, MN
robtwander1@juno.com

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Robert A
Debby S, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Gillette, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear Robert,
It was a pleasure speaking with you on the phone about the issues that happened during your stay. I am even more delighted that you willing to give us another chance to make it right. I have sent a bill to your email for your review as well wish you back soon. If there is anything I could assist you with please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

I was traveling to ND from Colorado with a newly acquired pet (dog) and needed an inexpensive place to stay for two nights that would allow my dog and would be easy to unload my baggage into as I had a lot of stuff that needed to be brought in. I was satisfied with thenreviews I read and this hotel met several of my needs right off the bat. They allowed pets but charged ten bucks a night extra which I thought was fair enough. The rate wasn't as low as I would have liked but was fair and comparable to other hotels. I needed a room with a desk, WiFi, a comfortable bed and a good shower, and the bonus was the outside door access. I asked for a ground floor with the outsides access and they had one left at the very end and it also had inside access which I had never seen before and was very handy. I was able to park five feet from the door and easily unload my car into the room. The desk was suitable, the room appeared to be clean and spacious, a small refer was also a nice bonus and a power strip to handle all my cords. I could not access WiFi the first night but didn't bother to inquire about it because I didn't need Internet for very long and I just used my data plan and set up my own hotspot. WiFi worked the rest of the time I stayed there.
The breakfast was tupical for continental breakfast, nothing special but nothing to complain about. Hot waffles, cereal, coffee, orange juice, etc. everything was really perfect except for a couple of things. One, my key did not work very well and when I could not get the door to open after several attempts in every possible configuration I asked for assistance from the front desk. She took the hallway and I went the outside route and she opened the door from the inside and was pretty rude about it. Instead of offering to show me her trick or assist me in getting it to work she swiped it and it worked the first time and she said there it works just fine like I was some kind of idiot and just walked off. I asked her to hold on while I tried it and I swiped it several times both directions and switching sides with the magnetic strip and she just came over in a big hurry and said first of all you have it backwards, but I tried it both ways, and she just swiped it and walked off so I was pretty annoyed with that. I had troubles with the key my who.e stay. I just got used to swiping it over and over and over and over again until it would finally open or on more than one occasion I just went inside and tried the inside door. Eventually I always got in.
The second complaint, and this was fairly minor but could have been a much bigger deal had my kids been with me.. I mentioned I had to unload my whole car so I was using the dresser drawers. I opened the first one and just placed my duffel bag inside it. I went to p,ace my duffel bag inside the second drawer and when I opened it there was the empty cardboard carton to a twelve pack of Bud Light and about 6 or 7 empty cans of beer and one had something nasty on the top of the can. The next day when housekeeping came I specifically brought it up to her. She must not have understood a word I said because I said, could you please clean out the dresser drawer under the TV? There are beer cans from the previous guest and I even walked over and opened the drawer so she could see the garbage. Well, it was still there when I got back and I just decided not to use the drawer. So what else was left in the drawers? This was the worst and thankfully I didn't even see this until I was checking out and looking to make sure I didn't leave anything. I opened the drawer to the nightstand and I found a used glass crack or meth pipe just lying there next to the Gideon Bible. I think it is just not dot doing a complete job if housecleaning comes in to a room and does not at least check all the drawers let alone clean them. It makes me wonder if they bothered to replace the sheets or vacuum the floors.mm
That being said, I would stay there again because there were so many ideal things that I liked. I would just be sure to check the cleanliness of the drawers first.
Ps the coat rack had a missing screw on one of the bars.

Room Tip: Ground floor with inside and outside door if you want to be able to park a few feet from your door w...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review.Any comments made are valuable to improve service and housekeeping at the hotel. Thank you very much for understanding that we have standard price for guest staying with pets. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced when you asked for assistance to use your room key. As as consumer , I knew how I expect to be treated.Please accept my sincerest apologies in this matter. I have discussed this situation with my entire staff to ensure it not repeated. I want to assure you that our housekeeping staff is trained to comunicate with the guests so they could respond and understand what the guests needed when they come to clean the room. We are starting to have a small class for them to improve their english as their second language. Once again,I apologize for your unpleasant stay and incovenience we may caused you. Please feel welcome at our hotel in your future travel.