“Very friendly staff”

Howard Johnson Inn Gillette
Ranked #22 of 25 Hotels in Gillette
Reviewed May 16, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for an extended period of time. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Room's were decently decorated, and very clean. The owner is very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
luckyone109, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Gillette, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate you business and hope to see you on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed February 25, 2011

To start off I booked a one night stay here during a solo trip from MN to Yellowstone on my Harley. After riding over 650 miles I finally arrived at the Howard Johnson Inn. At check in I was told there would be a short wait due to their internet being down. Well my short wait turned into 2 hours of waiting in the lobby and being told there was no way to check me in without their internet. Finally i think they sensed that I was ready to explode and supplied me with a room key. Why couldn't this have been done right away?! I know a bad internet connection isn't their fault but a well run business would have a plan "B". To top it all off I was told the room was more than I was quoted! By this time I was too tired to care and was sick of listening to the manager. Stay away!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
luckyone109, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Gillette, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding you stay at the Howard Johnson Inn. I am sorry that you where dissapointed with the lack of concern regarding this situation. I know how customers expect to be treated . I am truly sorry that we failed to provide you with the very best. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you on your next visit to our area. I assure you that we will provide you with our very best on your retun visit.

Reviewed October 12, 2010

The stay was mediocre, as to be expected.

The real kicker was the fact that they charged my credit card again, four months later, for when I did not stay there. And I had to deal with the hassle of their billing person only working three days a week, from 6 - 2. I eventually just went to my bank and had them remove the charge.

At the least, this was a hassle I did not want to deal with. At the worst, this was an attempt of financial fraud by the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. First let me apoligize for any inconvenience you experienced as a guest of our motel. Second, I would like to address the concerns that you expressed. We did have an issue with our credit card proccessor at the time and due to that we had numerous customers that had transactions that were processed at a later time. The charges we all legitimate for stays at the motel. Please allow us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed September 23, 2010

Before giving the details of my story, let me mention that after calling Howard Johnsons (the national customer service, not this particular hotel), I have received a complete refund. I found the national customer service quite professional, and I hope they investigate this particular hotel manager thoroughly. I also found the staff at the hotel polite (though not the manager). Now the details:

My fiancee and I were traveling cross-country, and our timing unfortunately coincided with the Sturgis motorcycle rally and hotels were hard to come by. I called the Hojo in Gillette Wyoming, from about 60 miles away, and they were the closest hotel with a room available. We reserved a nonsmoking room over the phone, and drove 60 miles to arrive in Gillette.

Upon arrival, we received a key for a nonsmoking room. Unfortunately, the room assigned to us had not been serviced since the previous guests -- beds were unmade, garbage was strewn about, etc.. We went immediately back to the front desk. The woman behind the front desk informed us that the only remaining room was a smoking room, apologized, and said that the nonsmoking room could not be serviced at that late hour.

Since we were tired after a long drive, and there were no other hotels in the area, we accepted the smoking room. We checked into that (smelly) room to stay the night. After getting ready for bed, we realized that the toilet didn't work -- didn't flush at all. At that point, we were just ready to sleep and get out early the next morning. Unfortunately, we couldn't sleep, because the A/C was also broken in the room (we realized after cooking in the room for about an hour). There was an obvious puddle in the carpet beneath the A/C, when I checked it out. This is a serious problem in mid-summer in eastern Wyoming! We slept very poorly, without working toilet or A/C.

The next morning, I politely requested a 1/2-refund (the nightly rate was about $120) -- a refund of about $60, since we did not receive the nonsmoking room, and the smoking room was not functional. The polite woman behind the desk called the manager at home, but the manager would not give a refund. She said that the manager would be around later that morning.

I decided to go out for breakfast, before returning to talk with the manager. When I returned, the manager was present, and I told the story above and requested half of my money back. The manager, Mohammed, was entirely rude and unaccommodating of this reasonable request. In fact, he accused me of occupying two rooms, since I refused the first (never-serviced) room. He told me that I should find someplace else to stay, if I don't like the hotel. He also told me that he had a night-time maintenance crew to fix such problems, even though the woman at the front desk the night before had stated that it was too late to fix problems.

The manager was absolutely infuriating and unreasonable.

I immediately (from the parking lot) called the Howard Johnson national office to complain and begin an investigation. I then called my credit card company (American Express).

And there's the topper - the manager double-charged my credit card. I do not believe that this was an accident, since I have read reviews of this happening to others. If the manager is not a criminal, he is at least an inconsiderate and uncaring person who should not be managing any hotel.

Now, as stated at the beginning of the review, I have received a complete refund from Howard Johnsons national customer service. Unfortunately, since hotels are individually owned, I have no recourse against this particular hotel except to write this long review and warn others.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MartyWeissman

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your experience at the Howard Johnson Inn. I am sorry that you were dissapointed with the behavior and lack of concern regarding this situation. I am truly sorry that we failed to provide you with the very best . I hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you on your next visit to our area. I also would like to offer you a two free night stay for you to use at our facility. I assure you we will provide you with the very best on your return visit.

Reviewed July 30, 2010

When I arrived at the motel, my confirmation number was lost. Front staff were unhelpful & rude. In order to receive my room, the clerk requested i pay several hundred dollars more. Staff would not give me the information to contact the owner or day manager of the facility. I ended up leaving & had to stay in another town 30 minutes away because all other hotels were full due to rodeo in town. I believe that's why they would not honor my reservation, because they could re-sell my room at a higher price.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank idaho56traveler

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your experience at the Howard Johnson Inn. I am sorry there was confusion with your reservation we had several new employees at that time, We have in addition reviewed our procedures and made appropriate changes to prevent this from happening in the future.

Reviewed July 26, 2010

This place is an older hotel away from the main drag of down, about a mile from the highway. But the price was right compared to the overpriced main motels in town. Room was large and clean, with a front door (for your car) and back door (to the hall). Front staff was nice. WiFi is free and worked ok. With HJ, I was expecting a box of donuts and coffee for the free breakfast, but they setup comparable to Comfort Inn minus the fresh fruit, with waffle iron, toast, cereals, juice, decent coffee. Hotel lobby and halls are bright and clean. The area doesn't have many restaurants so may be good to eat ahead (or get something delivered) but looking for a good place to sleep before Devil's Tower or just after a long drive. No pool or exercise room, but just a clean comfortable large room with decent breakfast and decent wifi. Glad I saved the money over the other hotels in town.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank dgrk1

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your busines and hope to see you on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed July 8, 2010

Stayed here on the way home from a road trip. It is a basic hotel, but everything was clean and we had everything we needed. The staff was very helpful. It was 4th of July so they gave us a room where we could see fireworks out our window. Would recommend staying here, especially for the price.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank steph724

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your business and hope to see you on your next visit to the area.