“Favorite BBQ”

HQ Southern BBQ
Ranked #1 of 9 Restaurants in Evansville
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Being local I get to enjoy HQ quite a bit and I can honestly say I have never had anything I didn't like there. My favorites are the Q plate and the Brisket plate, because you get two sides with them and I usually get the Epic Mac and Cheese (they don't lie) and the zucchini fries, all are amazing. It's my go to spot when I want to go out to eat.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Don't be fooled by the outside! This is not a fly by night operation. It is a place where locals come to get down home cooking. I had the beef brisket with macaroni and cold slaw--can't get more traditional than that. The macaroni was the spiral type and was excellent, as was the slaw. I like how it was served. The cornbread is not sweet, which is fine with me, but it does come with honey butter so it is nice way to end your meal. The cost is probably a little less than Applebees.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

For taste, hands down, it's HQ! For atmosphere, not so great. It's an old remodeled gas station with terrible acoustics. Great, attentive wait staff. The prices are okay, high for some things. The sides are fresh and usually tasty as well as the meats. We have got our food to go before, and never disappointed with the quality.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

We have eaten lunch at HQ BBQ twice in the past 6 months when we travel through Casper, WY from MT to Denver. It is located on the north side of the interstate at the Evansville exit.

The 1st time I had the andouille sausage plate with Mac&cheese and potato salad. That meal was delicious. We ate there a 2nd time a couple days ago. This meal, my wife and I shared a rack of dry rub ribs with mac&cheese and cole slaw all for $16. The ribs had great flavor, were meaty, and fell off the bone. They were a bit dry though so i was not as impressed as the first time. My first meal I would have rated a 5 for food quality. My 2nd meal would rate 4 for quality.

The service is good and the meals are served quickly. All meals come with sweet corn bread. There are several sides to choose from including mac&cheese, cole slaw, fries, sweet potato fries, baked beans, and more.

The restaurant is in an old gas station and the overhead doors are still in place so there is a lot of light. There is a small liquor bar and take out meals are available. Because of the high ceilings and barely visible redecoration HQ is pretty noisy.

You don't go to HQ BBQ for the ambience, just good food. We will go back again when we travel through Casper. The food is very much better than mcd's, bk, or tb and not much higher in cost. It only takes about 15 minutes longer and a couple bucks more than fast food.

1  Thank klkks
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I dined for lunch with a group of 6 adults. Everyone liked the food here. Smoked wings, brisket, ribs, and pulled pork were all very well prepared and tasty. The dry rub on the wings was exceptional IMO. This place is an old, remodeled gas station, but it was bright and clean inside. It's a fairly small place, so expect to wait unless you arrive early. Wait staff was very friendly and attentive. Prices are reasonable. I wasn't expecting to find Que this good in Evansville, Wyo. No complaints.