“Awful experience!!!”

Colorado Springs, CO
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,014 helpful votes
“Awful experience!!!”
Reviewed November 7, 2006

We are very disappointed with this hotel and their management staff. We would never, ever recommend this hotel to anyone!

We are Platinum Elite members (meaning we have stayed at Holiday Inn Expresses for more than 50 nights this year). This hotel refused to honor our Platinum Elite membership - what a slap in the face!

Next, they did not want to honor our reservation and attempted to overcharge us for our room. That is when put our foot down and said "No way!" and went ahead and ended up cancelling our reservation to stay at a different Holiday Inn Express in a nearby town.

We were also very disappointed to find out that they allow pets in ALL their rooms if people arrive needing pet rooms! So much for a no pet policy! They also allow smoking on the 2nd and 3rd floors leaving only the ground floor rooms as non-smoking. Very limiting!

The manager spoke to me directly and was very rude and condescending. What a horrid experience!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — Rude management & they allow pets in ALL their rooms!
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay someplace else!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank nowincolorado

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Tualatin, Oregon
Reviewed August 26, 2006

I lived at the Holiday Inn Express in Evanston for a month while working at a power plant about 55 miles away. That commute started to get to me, so I went to a hotel close to the site for the rest of my assignment. Too bad...this Holiday Inn Express is brand new and very comfortable, and I missed it after I left. It is probably the newest in town, and as such charges the most (Priority Club members note: this property requires only 10,000 points for a free night's stay). But, you will find it well worthwhile to stay here. As one traveler noted, the breakfast buffet at this hotel includes the usual continental breakfast fare and hot cheese omelets and sausage gravy. Need to work out? It has a nice exercise room, pool, and hot tub. If you need a change of pace from what HIX offers, there are two restaurants on either side of the hotel, one being a steakhouse and the other a family (Denny's-type) regional chain. Evanston offers a Wal-Mart and two other major grocers if you want to stock up food in your room...every room has a 4.0 cubic ft. refrigerator and a medium-size microwave, so it makes it easier to stay within your per diem. For entertainment, if you get tired of the excellent cable TV service in your room, there is a small theater, bowling alley, and golf course in town, and Park City, UT is but one hour away. The staff is very friendly, managed by a young husband and wife team who are very attentive. My only criticism is that officially, this HIX does not accept pets; another reviewer noted that they brought their cats in the hotel, but they probably did it when the staff wasn't looking. Although many HIXs accept pets, this is not a chain-wide policy (they leave it up to the individual franchisees to determine their policies). Come on, this is HIX, not the Hilton, Westin, or other "hoity-toity" hotel! Heck, even some high-end hotels accept pets! More and more people are travelling with pets, especially those likely to stay at HIX, so the HIX-Evanston needs to get with the program. Last year, when I moved from Oregon to Kansas, I had to pass up this hotel in favor of a Holiday Inn about 100 miles away in Rock Springs because we had our dog with us. Having said that, I don't think you'll have anything to complain about at this hotel. As Evanston is kind of an oasis in the middle of nowhere, HIX is an oasis in this town. If my work takes me back here, this HIX will be my first choice.

• Liked — Clean, well-equipped rooms, comfortable beds, breakfast bar, pool, exercise room
  • Disliked — Does not permit pets
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank MAJ_JBM
Marysville, California
Reviewed August 11, 2006

My husband and I stayed here on August 2, 2006 and again on our return trip back from the midwest on August 10, 2006.. The rooms were nice sized and super CLEAN. I was also impressed that they do not charge additional fees for using the internet hook ups that are in room. They also have gaming controls in room for kids that like to play video games. Air conditioning was great and controlled by a thermostat on the wall just like homes and kept the room just at the perfect temp, without any annoying fan noise like many hotels have with individual units. The bathrooms graced Granite counter tops which I found pretty nice beings it was a Holiday Inn Express. Rooms were very quite and I never did hear anyone from the next rooms or above us. We stayed on the third floor one time and the second floor the second time.
Rapid check out is great and they also place a USA Today newspaper in the front of your door in the morning. The continental breakfast is above and beyond any that I have had elsewhere that is complimentary with a over nite stay. Sweet rolls, bagels, toasts, omelets, cold and hot cereals, fruit, yogurts, all kinds of fresh juice and all kinds of milk from skim to whole and all in-between. They even had GREAT biscuits and fresh hot sausage gravy. If you had to go out and pay for a breakfast like this it would cost you 15 bucks easily. We didnt use the spa or pool or the excercise room, but it all looked super clean. The staff even recommended a place to eat dinner that was in walking distance. We tried TJs steakhouse and all in all it was pretty tasty. Had a cocktail lounge and the drinks were great. Their salad bar was fresh and had many choices and also two soups that were homemade. The other restaurant on the opposite side was more like a denny style and we had to eat there on August 2. It was " ok" and beat a fast food stop, but probably wouldnt eat there again. Opt for TJ's. It is closed on Wednesdays however. I highly recommend this Hotel and I would most definitely stay there again. The staff is super nice.

• Liked — Easy to find and it was SUPER clean and new
  • Disliked — Nothing was wrong everything was great. No complaints
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring your lap top. Great for working business people.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Jeweledcat
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 18, 2006

A one night stop from Yellowstone to LV. Accommodation was of a high standard, everything we needed and the continental breakfast was reasonable. Friendly, helpful staff and the local rodeo was fun and the mexican food great.

Stayed June 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Jose, California
Reviewed May 13, 2006

My young son and I stayed here while driving to CA from the midwest and found the room far exceeded our expectations. Gorgeous, new hotel; extremely clean, comfortable, HUGE room. Very friendly and helpful staff (even loaned me their tape gun to try and mend some broken equipment!). Immaculate pool area. Immediate access to freeway. Quietest rooms face the parking lot. Bathroom was also HUGE with extra large shower and deluxe multi-functional shower head. Light and vent on separate switches, which I, personally, like, so as not to awaken my son when I get ready in the morning (you don't always need that loud vent!). Nice room amenities like large desk, micro, and a good sized refrigerator -- although I awoke to it "gurgling" in the night and wanted to unplug it! Breakfast looked better than it tasted, however; skip the hard boiled eggs -- more like rubber balls! But the hot cheese omelettes were not bad. Family restaurant next door (JB's?) was OK for a quick sandwich or light supper.

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank AKA K2
Mountain View, CA
Reviewed May 1, 2006

I stayed in this hotel on a road trip across the country. After leaving Salt Lake City I expected to find nothing decent until I hit Cheyenne, but then I saw this. The building is new, modern and well lit. The lobby is clean and attractive. The rooms are quite nice, and not expensive. In room internet access (which was actually quite speedy) was essential for my work, and they delivered. I didn't try out any of the further amenities (aside from the breakfast) but the pool looked pleasant and well maintained.

Overall a little bit of luxury in south western Wyoming.

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank Chris M
Oregon
Reviewed April 15, 2006

My husband, our two cats and I stayed here for one night while on a road trip across county. The hotel had just recently opened its doors. The room we stayed in was comfortable. It had a mini fridge and microwave. There was a local restaurant next door that the front desk recommended. It was super convenient and pretty good.

The front desk asked us where we prefered our room to be and we chose to stay close to the amenities on the first floor since we needed to do laundry. I would definitely stay at this hotel again but strongly recommend staying away from the room we had. We enjoyed it until 6am when I woke up to pounding, sounding like a hammer over my head. I stumbled out of the room to discover someone was running on the treadmill and the sound just traveled through the walls that much.

Overall, it was a great hotel. The pool was fabulous. The breakfast was good and the staff was exceptionally nice.

• Stayed October 2005