“We were seated then ignored for over thirty minutes.”
Review of Nostalgia Bistro

Nostalgia Bistro
Ranked #2 of 21 Restaurants in Dubois
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: In the hard-scrabble life that is Wyoming, Nostalgia Bistro is offering a break from mundane and invites the guest to have a little fun imagining a plush Neo-Victorian, Locomotive, Westward Expansion, Pre- Prohibition era Lunch and Dinner club. Life is tough enough. Nostalgia Bistro wants to comfort you and guide you on a culinary voyage with food and wine pairings and food and artisanal beer pairings. Nostalgia Bistro offers the lunch and dinner guest a unique turn of the century atmosphere coupled with a menu reflecting the Chef/Owner Shannon Chandler's European and Asian culinary background. From the soups and starters to sushi and entrees, we strive to produce great food and a great dining experience from a local, sustainable and community minded approach. We invite residents and visitors alike to join us at Nostalgia Bistro for a diverse range of food and a fine dining experience you won't soon forget.
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I brought my family of four to the Bistro for dinner one day in early summer. They were busy and told us to expect a fifteen minute wait. There were a few other parties waiting outside but no one took down our name, which I thought was strange. After twenty minutes had gone by I went to check on a table. I was told it would be fifteen minutes. I explained that it had already been twenty minutes then I sat patiently. We were seated fifteen minutes later.
We had a table by the window and were in the main flow of employee traffic. Thirty five minutes later, despite having made eye contact with many passing employees and having neatly stacked our menus, we had yet to be given water or to be acknowledged by anyone.
I am incredibly patient and forgiving when it comes to restaurant service having worked at many in the past. That said, this was the first time I've ever walked out due to poor service.
We went down the road to the Cowboy Cafe and were served good food in a very timely manner.
I have managed a number of restaurants in the past and always appreciated customer feedback whether bad or good so I called the Bistro to let the manager know what had happened. His first reaction was to say that he couldn't offer me any reimbursement. I assured him that I had only called to pass on the information so he could improve his operation. By the end of the call he insisted on sending me a gift card so my family and I could come back and try the food. It's been three months and no sign of a gift card.
Customer service has to come first. I understand that things take longer than expected sometimes and i have zero problem with that. If someone would have said, "We're sorry but it will be a few more minutes," this may have been a five star review. Being completely ignored for more than half an hour is unacceptable. Nostalgia Bistro has lost a potential customer for life and I will suggest others try one of the other fine restaurants Dubois WY has to offer.

1  Thank David H
Karen C, Owner at Nostalgia Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

I hope you'll accept my very sincere apologies for your most recent experiences with us, David. You're absolutely right — customer service does have to come first, and I want to assure you that we are 100% in agreement with that. It seems as if we let this one fall through the cracks, and I'm sorry if you got the impression we were putting it off. If you'd get back to me with your information, I'd love to continue this conversation and clear up any miscommunications. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I'll hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
Shannon Chandler, Chef/Owner

There are newer reviews for Nostalgia Bistro

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Has an unbelieveably large selection of delicious dinners. Our group of 19 ate there twice. All raved about their selections, and these were savvy diners from East Coast, West Coast and many places in between. My ribeye steak on a bed of blue cheese fries was possibly the best I've ever eaten-huge, succulent, juicy and cooked to order. Nostalgia currently supplies melt-in-your mouth barbecue for the weekly outdoor chuckwagon dinner as well. You'd never dream that you could eat so well in a western Wyoming town counting only 971 permanent residents!

The best steak you've ever eaten? You're making us blush over here, Robert! I'm so happy to hear your entire party was impressed with their meals. Our large selection of mouth-watering dishes is our pride and joy, so you can be sure we're taking your compliments to heart. We may be a town of 971, but we make sure to cook up dishes worthy of a town of 5 million. Thanks for the good word and we'll look forward to seeing you next time!

Cheers,
Shannon Chandler, Chef/Owner

Reviewed August 24, 2013

I'll admit when I walked into this restaurant I did not expect the food to be this good. Their menue is eclectic. The service was perfect, which for me is not pushy. We even had our 14 and 11 year old boys who enjoyed it.

1  Thank William B
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We were unsure about going to the Bisto because we had heard you needed reservations and it looked fancy and expensive but one night we were hungry and nothing else was open, so we stopped in. We were pleasantly surprised. Although we weren't dressed for a nice restaurant, the hostess greeted us enthusiastically and assured us we looked fine. We ordered burgers, which were huge and delicious. They also had a good Wi-Fi connection, so we could download pictures on our phones during dinner. We went back another night and again, had a good experience. The menu is varied, offering everything from burgers and steaks to gourmet specials. The prices and service were within reason, considering it is not fast food. We tried all of the places to eat in Dubois and definitely felt the Bistro was the best. .

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We never did get to eat here, but the reservation system is quite lacking. A couple of weeks before our anticipated stay, reservations were made for 7pm. Since they were not open for lunch, as advertised, we got a little nervous about whether they were even open on a Sunday night. Happened to stop by at 6:30pm and noticed the doors were open, so went in to check on reservations - they had no record of them, "but, no problem - we'll put you down now for 7pm". Showed up at 7pm and not only did they not have a table ready for us, but they had a party in front of us that would be seated first (not sure if they had reservations or not). Interestingly, there were a couple of empty tables waiting, but we were told that the chef said we couldn't eat there!! The staff gave us a 40 minute wait time, but we didn't stick around! In fact, the staff basically encouraged us to go elsewhere! I can understand such a situation when you have a no-reservation policy, but when you have one, you need to abide by it. Unfortunately, I will be back in Dubois, but I won't make this place a priority selection...

Been to Nostalgia Bistro? Share your experiences!