The Lazy L&B Ranch
Stagecoach Motor Inn(Dubois)(Great Value!)
$70
$65
Travelocity
Great 4.5/5
Twin Pines Lodge And Cabins(Dubois)(Great Value!)
$85
Official Site
Great 4.5/5
Best Western Pinedale Inn(Pinedale)(Great Value!)
$64
Very Good 4/5
Good 3.5/5
Great 4.5/5
All reviewswild horsesnew friendsriding experiencetree houseother guestsfamily vacationcowboy breakfastthe entire weekforest ridefly fishinggreen valleyhonor barsquare dancingeast forkfood allergiesbreathtaking scenerythe river
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 20, 2013

After scouring the internet for guest ranches Lazy L&B stood out (especially when recommended by our horsemanship instructor) as an excellent ranch. My twin sister & I had a wonderful time at the Lazy L&B. The scenery alone makes it a special destination, but that’s just the beginning. The property is located on a stunning stretch of Wyoming. We rode through varying landscapes of mountains, meadows, forests, rivers, and even onto a high mesa. Within these vast landscapes we rarely saw anyone except fellow guests – what a treat to experience secluded nature. Upon arrival we were met with the warmest hospitality by owners, Jason & Deb, who greeted us with fresh-baked cookies and smiles. The ranch’s rustic décor is charming and homey with lots of wood, stone, and opportunities to enjoy the landscape. The main house is where guests meet for communal meals & porch happy hours. The food was delicious & plentiful. We loved our cabin which featured a lovely porch & very comfortable beds. Since my sister & I recently finished horsemanship lessons, we were eager to try our skills. The wranglers were friendly, knowledgeable, and fun. They really took the time to get-to-know us while making sure we were happy and safe. Each ride built upon skills from the previous one. The horses were wonderful & a pleasure to ride. Even though some guests had never really ridden, we were all loping/cantering by the end of the week. Two separate guests had so much fun that they signed-up for another week! In addition to riding, the ranch offers activities such as hiking, fly fishing lessons, shooting, campfires, BBQs, and even a night of square-dancing in Dubois which was really fun. The whole ranch went – from the guests to the wranglers and staff. We had a great time dancing at a local bar which had fantastic atmosphere. By the end of the week, we felt like family. We bonded over adventurous rides, breath-taking landscapes, hearty meals (both in the cozy dining room and on forest picnics), and shared a few well-deserved drinks. I’ve had the pleasure of visiting other wonderful guest ranches, but Lazy LB still stands out as my favorite. I loved it so much, that I’m already planning nest year’s return trip.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lorified
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We are both in our 60's and my wife had never ridden before so we were a bit concerned about staying at this ranch. However all our concerns swiftly evaporated when we realised the quality of care that this ranch shows its' guests.
All staff were really good, catering for our every need, nothing was too much for them.
Similarly the horses were very well cared for and were excellent on all terrains.
We had a great time and just wish we could repeat the experience again.
We thought that The Grand Canyon would be the highlight of our 3 week holiday to the USA. But we were wrong, this ranch was. Thanks to all the staff and the new friends we made.
If you're looking for a ranch break, we would really recommend this one.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Douglas K
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

If you are in any way considering a Dude Ranch vacation, do not pass up the opportunity to go to Lazy L & B Ranch. This is the place. You won't be sorry. It is a phenomenal experience from start to finish, especially if you have kids.

The new owners Deb and Jason Halmay are naturals in their new roles. They have clearly already mastered the art of hospitality. Combine a talented and warm staff, breathtaking scenery, great horseback riding, fun activities for kids, and delicious food--all with your individual needs in mind, and you have a recipe for a great vacation. My daughter and I took our annual riding trip here this year and my only regret is that we didn't have the whole family with us.

The amazing wranglers-who seemed able to handle absolutely any situation-were knowledgable about horses, riding, the forest and fauna of Wyoming, and also managed to be fun. We learned so much from them in a short time. Horses were specifically chosen for each person and riders got to have the same horse all week. There were a variety of levels of riding and terrain, with a good fit for every rider. You could choose how many and what types of rides to go on, or decide to relax in the pool or hot tub listening to the sound of a rushing river enjoying the spectacular red rock views. Each morning at breakfast, the friendly head wrangler would check in with each person individually to see how they were doing and what kind of ride they would be up for that day.

Some extras in the Lazy L& B experience included entertainment from a gifted singer-songwriter who had glorious stories of Wyoming ranch/cowboy life, her family and her experiences in Nashville. Another evening, there was an option to go into the local town, Dubois, and participate in a real western square dance- so much fun! There was also a fly-fishing option one day for guests who wanted to try their hand at it in a Wyoming river. I also leaned that this specific part of Wyoming is one of the only areas that has the variety of red rock, river, forrest, foot hills and sweeping mountain range views.

Activities for kids were abundant. The owners' three delightful daughters were as welcoming to the children as the staff. I was told that the kids would have so much fun that it would be hard to get them to come in at night, but I didn't believe it until I saw it with my own child. The ranch is a safe and small enough place for children to navigate and play freely. There is a petting zoo for the kids, hayride, crafts, s'mores roast, and always kid-friendly food for the younger guests. Wranglers played games with the kids out on the trail and took the time to show them ant hills, flowers and other interesting things. The children even had the opportunity to help push the horses back from the pasture! Absolutely everyone at the ranch was great with kids.

The cabin accommodations were simple and rustic with some history. I was told that a few of them were original Yellowstone cabins purchased by the first owners and moved to the ranch! They were cleaned each day and included soap/shampoo/body wash etc. for lighter packers. The food was homemade, fresh and delicious. They are able to accommodate any dietary requests. Meals included a wonderful and balanced variety of salads, entrees, sauces, side dishes and desserts ranging from healthy to hearty.

I had read several reviews that talked about Lazy L & B's attentiveness toward guests, but again, I didn't realize the extent of it until I experienced it myself. The constant concern of the staff that we were having a good time and had everything we needed was startling! Upon learning that my daughter and I had to leave at 3:00am to catch a flight out on our last day, one of the ranch managers even made sure that we had a sack breakfast to go in our room refrigerator the night before! The owners dined with guests every night, and the type of great, easy going people this place draws is evidenced by all the adults who stayed in the dining room long after dinner ended enjoying a glass of wine with new friends while the children played or did some fun project together.

If you are looking for a fantastic and memorable Dude Ranch vacation, I can't recommend this place enough. We loved every minute of it.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Jens2sense
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Towards the end of my 3 month road trip around the USA, I was lucky enough to find this wonderful ranch online and booked for a week. The experience was amazing, topped off with excellent friendly staff and a stock of horses which seemed to cater for all levels of rider expertise, or in my case, lack of. My fellow guest were all a great bunch, with two of us deciding to stay a further week. The new owners Jason, and Debbie should be very proud of the experience that they, their staff and horses are providing for their guest. I will be returning next year for another great week or two.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Moray B
Reviewed July 3, 2013

First and foremost, this was the most wonderful and memorable family vacation we have ever had, and it surpassed all of our expectations. The location is spectacular, but more than that, it is the people and the atmosphere which really make it so special. The owners, Jason, Deb, and their family, as well as the wranglers and staff are all incredibly welcoming and friendly. We felt at home from the moment we arrived.

We were a family of six including children, parents and grandparents, and were a little unsure initially about what to expect. Certainly, there was some uncertainty around how our two boys, aged 7 and 11, would take to riding having never experienced it before. In fact, a number of the adults in our party had very limited experience (myself included), so there was some trepidation in the beginning. Any nerves were calmed quickly though. The wranglers are awesome, they are knowledgeable and professional, and the horses are incredible. We went for a ride on the first afternoon and never looked back, the boys included.

We rode every day, including some short rides and some full day rides, covering spectacular and diverse country, from deserts, mountains and forests to traversing creeks and rivers. It was incredibly peaceful, with spectacular country as far as the eye can see, sharing it only with the abundant wildlife. You could ride as much or as little as you liked. The wranglers were always very accommodating and would happily tailor rides to suit your needs. That said, we didn’t want to miss any of it. All the rides we did were spectacular.

It wasn’t all about riding though. There was plenty of time to relax, whether it was with a drink on the porch or a soak in the hot tub and pool. There are also other activities you can sample, including fly fishing and shooting, or crafts for the kids. We also had a great night out square dancing in Dubois.

The children made many new friends at the ranch, and they played for hours in the fields by the river or in the tree house. They were genuinely relaxed and happy and we really didn’t have to worry about keeping them entertained for a single minute. All the kids chose to ride together too for the most part. Again, the wranglers were great with the kids and we always felt that they were in safe hands. They had a blast, and never missed an opportunity to get up in the morning to brush and saddle their horses.

The cabins are rustic and sympathetic to their environment and clean and comfortable, and the lodge is also a great place to hang out, whether it be with a coffee in the morning, or sharing stories with other guests over a bottle of wine in the evening. Guests will never go hungry. The food is fantastic and plentiful. The end of week cookout is a particular highlight, where steaks are prepared on the grill and guests share poems and stories inspired by the experiences of the week.

All in all, it was a fantastic week, made even more special by the wonderful people we met and new friends we have made. Each one of us, young and old, was truly sad to have to leave. The Lazy L and B, Deb and Jason, their family, the staff and the horses gave us a week to remember and we fully intend to be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family