“Amazing, Awesome Week”
Review of The Lazy L&B Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dubois
The Lazy L&B Ranch
Ranked #1 of 12 Specialty Lodging in Dubois
Nottingham, Maryland, United States
“Amazing, Awesome Week”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

What a wonderful experience at the Lazy L & B Ranch! It exceeded my expectations. Everyone at the ranch from the owners Jason & Deb, to the wrangles and staff at the lodge were all wonderful, friendly, kind people. I can't say enough about them. It was so nice getting to know everyone during the week and especially liked that they ate meals with us and went out on the trails with us. It felt like one big, happy family at the end of the week. Wyoming was beautiful and each ride was unique. The wranglers really took care of the guests and were very knowledgeable about the geography, flowers, etc. I didn't want to leave at the end of the week. I will remember this vacation for a long time. Hope to come back again in the future.

1 Thank Gail K

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Lazy L and B Ranch is the perfect place to go for an adventure that will leave you both relaxed and refreshed.

Days start early for those who want to help brush and saddle the horses. Then there is a hearty cooked breakfast, and a choice of different rides every day, building up to two day-long rides with some of the best scenery and most exciting riding you can imagine.

The wranglers are all really experienced, and riding pace is tailored to your experience. There is no pressure to do anything you are not comfortable with, but equally plenty of opportunity to do exciting rides. You won’t believe how soon you are fording rivers, going up and down steep mountains, and trotting through the forests. The landscape is amazing, and you see it all - desert with rich red earth and cactus plants; forests with elk and moose, upright aspen trees and bright flowers; deep river valleys with lush grass and snow-capped mountains in the background, and big hill and mountain rides with views that take all day to absorb.

I travelled by myself, met some great new friends, discovered I love horses, and just had a really wonderful time. Owners Deb and Jason are great hosts, and really flexible to the needs of guests, with a real passion to make sure that all their guests have a brilliant time. All the staff are really welcoming and you will feel at home straightaway.

If you don’t want to ride all the time there is hiking, fishing, crafts for kids and swimming. Evenings include campfires, visits to Dubois to learn Square Dancing or hang out in a local saloon. Or relax in your comfortable and rustic wood cabin, listening to the sounds of the river and gazing out at the views down the valley.

Don't plan on dieting, as all the food is really tasty. A moonlight dip in the riverside hot tub helps to ease away any riding aches, as does a spicy margarita on the lodge porch. You can buy wine and beer or bring your own.

I enjoyed it so much I stayed on for a second week, as did another guest, and I was really glad I did. So much fun!

And what other holiday do you get to wear cowboy hats and boots every day!

I finished my stay in Wyoming with a pack (camping) trip with Bear Basin Adventures, also highly recommended, and link on the Lazy L and B website.

Room Tip: All the cabins are lovely.
2 Thank anna m
Alsager, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

From the very warm welcome on my arrival, to the sad farewells on my departure, I had a great time at the Lazy L& B.

The owners, Deb and Jason, really do want to make it your holiday. If a guest wants to take a different ride from the one planned, they'll do it if at all possible. It's critical to them that the guests have a good time. This extends to activities for the adults outside the riding and to the special arrangements for the children who also have rides adjusted to their capabilities.

The accommodation is rustic, ranch style, very comfortable and quite in keeping with the environment. The dining at breakfast, lunch and dinner is excellent.

All the staff, whether dining room, housekeeping, or riding, seem to take it as a personal goal to ensure that every guest gets the maximum out of his or her stay. They are all warm and friendly all the time, something rarely found in the service sector.

The wranglers check that horse and rider are well suited and, during each ride, take steps to see that everything is safe and secure as well as ensuring that the guest is OK. I'd recommend getting involved in tacking up and grooming as it's a good way of bonding with your horse. It also adds another, satisfying dimension to the experience. However, if you don't want to, it won't be an issue; your horse will be ready for you when you go to mount up and it will be attended to afterwards.

There are some steep ascents and descents that can be challenging but the horses are sure-footed so don't be put off. I never felt unsafe. In fact, being a relatively new rider, I gained a great sense of achievement. The rides are at walking pace for the majority of the time, so that there is every opportunity to take in the views. However, now and then, a trot or canter of a few hundred yards might be possible. There are also breaks during all rides when riders can dismount to take a rest and allow the horses to do the same.

The two long rides towards the end of the week, ought not to be missed because they take the experience gained on the shorter rides to a new level in terms of not only riding but elevation too.

Novice or experienced riders will find the rides enjoyable for the pleasure of being off the beaten track. Indeed, you're so far off it that no traffic can be heard, let alone seen. You are, however, quite likely to see some wildlife which the wranglers will point out.

The country is stunningly beautiful and, this way, you get the chance to observe it at close quarters, just as you might on foot - except that you probably wouldn't get out of your car and walk into the areas accessed by the ranch horses.

New riders might like to do as I did and take some lessons before going to the ranch. It will avoid the disappointment of having to miss a ride whilst unused muscles become 'acclimatised'.

So, if you ever thought that you wanted to take this type of holiday but didn't do so, my advice would be to delay no longer. Book with the Lazy L & B. You won't be disappointed and you'll have the time of your life.

I have no connection with this business other than as a totally satisfied guest. If there was anything wrong with my stay it was that it should have been the last week of my holiday on the basis of 'save the best for last'. I'm already 90% decided to return next year.

Room Tip: Just take the one allocated to you and you'll be fine.
Andalusia, Alabama
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My wife and I just spent an incredible week at the Lazy L & B Ranch ( June 9 th- 15th 2013). The new owners Jason and Deb are great people and wonderful hosts. This is our second trip to Lazy L& B and are making plans to make it an annual event with our friends. You'll enjoy the magnificent scenery with its mountains, rivers and green valleys. Plenty of wildlife to see. The food was great, and the cabins were very comfortable. The horses we rode we very sound and safe. Everyone had a great time.

Room Tip: All the cabins were nice
Oxford, Georgia, United States
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Just got back from a week at the Lazy L and B Ranch (June 2 - 8, 2013). It was a great place where the guests could be lazy if you wanted or participate in everything, but the staff never was. Everyone from the owners to kitchen staff, housekeepers and wranglers were friendly and helped you feel right at home regardless of your experience with horses. We began riding on day one with a short ride and gradually increased the lenght of our rides, but even those could be customized if you wanted. The trails were the best you could hope for seeing wild life on every ride and different landscapes every day. It is hard for me to pick my favorite ride. The horses are well trained, sure footed and took us to places that absolutely blew me away.
The food at every meal was well prepared, in ample supply and delicious. Even with all the activity I still managed to gain a couple of pounds.
I cannot recommend the Lazy L and B high enough. If you are an adventurer or a beginner this is the ranch to choose.

1 Thank Johnny H
Griffin
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My brother and I just spent a week at the Lazy L& B Ranch (June 2-8, 2013). This is a fabulous ranch with outstanding staff and wranglers. The horses were awesome and perfect for the type of riding we enjoyed. Unlike some ranches, we rode on our very first day at the ranch. Each day, we rode a different trail and every ride was outstanding. It is very difficult for me to select one ride as my favorite as all were great.
You can't go wrong booking a visit to this great ranch... Great staff, wranglers, horses, food, lodging, trail riding, and scenery!!!!!!!!!

1 Thank Nancy H
Silverado, California
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We just left the Lazy L&B ranch this morning. The new owners, Debbie and Jason and their girls, have put tons of work into the place and it's amazing. The staff are wonderful. The wranglers are all very knowledgeable about horses, riding and the natural history of the area. The horses are matched to each guest and the pairings were perfect! The accommodations are clean, neat and perfect for a ranch experience. Each ride was different with beautiful views that could only be gotten on horseback. We saw lots of wildlife, walked, trotted or loped at each appropriate opportunity and had the chance to take care of the horses if we chose. The food was good and they were very attentive to my food allergies. I LOVE THIS PLACE and will go back next year for sure!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple