All reviewshistoric hotelchain hotelswestern themefront desknice roomplace to stayloungekeurigdepotfairelevator
Reviewed August 30, 2017

Life is too short to waste it staying at artificial-vanilla-flavored chain hotels no matter how cheap their rooms might be, or how "comforting" it is to know exactly what you're going to get at a place, long before you arrive there. That, and the fact that the LaBonte is the only hotel actually IN Douglas, make it the logical choice for travelers.

My family stayed at the LaBonte for three days to catch Totality in the recent solar eclipse, and we do not regret the decision despite a few creaks and groans here & there, specifically from the stairs which I defy any ballerina to climb silently. (Happily, there is also an elevator.) It's a 100+ year old establishment, so don't expect lightning fast WiFi or 24-hour room service or sleek modern accouterments; what you do get is a nice room at a decent price (good a/c and shower), a comfy bed, and a very friendly reception from Bill down at the front desk. I also have an affinity for hotels that still use actual keys to lock & unlock the rooms, not little plastic cards.

The lounge & bar downstairs was filled with excited revelers just about every moment throughout our stay, as well as amazingly loud garage bands playing to the excited multitudes, but our room was surprisingly quiet and we slept well throughout.

The location of the hotel is central, with one restaurant (an astonishingly good Japanese place) actually in their building and another ("The Depot") about 50 yards down the road, both of them happy departures from the usual Wyoming fare of red meat fixed 13 ways. I was also surprised by the (free) "Keurig" coffee gizmo in the lobby, which made a much better brew than I'd have thought possible.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2017 via mobile

We were in Douglas for the state fair and Miss Rodeo Wyoming pageant! Stayed at HLB for 3 nights and absolutely loved it! Great remodeled historic hotel. The small rooms were comfortable and clean. We loved the great service and friendly staff. Bill always took time to visit and take interest in us and our family. Morgan provided excellent service and good conversation. We will be back!!

Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2017

From previous reviews, I knew that I was going to need to check in at the next-door bar. That process went smoothly. Our rooms were comfortable. I didn't see a phone to the front desk. In the morning when we went for breakfast, you could tell that someone had been behind the front desk because all the lights were on. We came back from breakfast & there was still no one behind the desk. I called the hotel from my cell phone & it went into voice mail. It would have been nice to have contact with someone at the hotel to ask a couple of questions. I never saw anyone else at the hotel (even guests). They had a great bar/pizza place & breakfast place across the street. They were both excellent food & service.

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2017

This a nice family owned historic hotel. I really enjoyed the tasteful art work and classic western theme with modern flair. Along with the antique furnishings, wood and tile work in the lobby, the lounge provides a lively destination for the weary traveler. They remodeled the rooms with modern bathroom fixtures, tile work and good attention to details like quality towels, a comfortable bed, and soft linens. Unfortunately, their computer system had crashed and they had no record of our reservation. Nevertheless, the staff in the lounge was professional and efficient in getting us settled in. The outside patio is a nice place to hang out for a Moscow Mule or glass of wine and they draw in some friendly clients quick to offer some Wyoming hospitality. We had a lovely breakfast at the Depot, just a block away. This a great historic hotel in a great location in downtown Douglas and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled with family
2  Thank Kuyler C
Reviewed February 8, 2017

I stumbled into the LB by shear coincidence. Having rode my friends Goldwing from Oregon to Sturgis and back via Douglas, Wy. I needed gas and a local lady in Lusk told me about the Hotel and Japanese Steak/Sushi restaurant next door so I went there for lunch. Afterward I went inside to check out the old hotel and the manager Bill met me and we had a polite discussion about the Goldwing. Apparently he used to be a Honda mechanic. After a wild week sleeping on the ground in a tent at Sturgis he convinced me to stay the night with the last room available since it was State fair weekend. I was not disappointed perhaps the best night sleep in a hotel for a long time. I've stayed in the chain hotels, even 5 star hotels, and everything in between but this one was different and very comfortable and accommodating. Bill is the best manager concierge I have found so far and I have traveled the globe. For example after I left the next day from a wonderful stay I blew out a rear tire on the motorcycle and called Bill who contacted the only Dealership in Wyoming in Cody who could fix it! He also called the towing service who came to help with a motorcycle trailer and after a few hours delay I was back on the road. Bill you and your hotel are the best and I wear my LB t-shirt and cap proudly here in Oregon. Thank you for a wonderful stay last summer and I hope to return someday.

Room Tip: Embrace the historic heritage of this old hotel and colorful atmosphere!
  • Stayed: August 2016, traveled solo