“Barebones motel. You (barely) get what you paid for!”
Review of Four Winds Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Douglas
Four Winds Motel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Douglas
New York City, New York
“Barebones motel. You (barely) get what you paid for!”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Judging from the other reviews, the rooms vary quite a bit even though the price point is the same. Our room was very small, even for a single, and at $65/night appears to be what many paid for a much larger double room. Overall, the experience was acceptable: the fridge and microwave were old and falling apart a bit but worked just fine, the room was relatively clean although there were a few MacGyvered fixes to the toilet and the motel is located on the main street so it's pretty convenient to get around. A quick note: room 11 is connected to the office as well as the innkeeper's residence by a door to the right of the bed. From time to time you will hear conversation through the door during the night, but it's not too loud and shouldn't disrupt your sleep.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Paul S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Chicago
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Back in November 2012, I made a reservation to stay at the Four Winds on May 18, 2013. But upon arrival early evening May 18, the friendly man at the front desk apologized. The hotel had to cancel my reservation due to other guests staying for many nights.

I was dumbfounded, and my jaw dropped.

Doesn't this hotel use a spreadsheet of some sort to show that my booking would prohibit the hotel from scheduling another guest into my reserved slot?

The hotel DID call my office phone within 24 hours of my arrival to alert me of the bad news. But I was not monitoring my office line on that weekend.

Next time, I will know to leave a cell phone number when reserving hotel space.

But to cancel MY reservation due to the lenghty stay of OTHER guests qualifies for a poor review.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank LodgerFromChicago

Travelers are raving about these Douglas hotels

Castelnovo ne Monti
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The typical road motel, an absolute must if you are travelling by car in the USA.
The room was big and very well furnished, with AC, a small fridge, a coffee machine; the bathrom was clean. Good pick if you want a cheap solution.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Giovanni_Benassi
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

This isn't the hilton. But its also 65 bucks for a big room with two queen sized beds. The heater worked, there was a small coffee machine, mini fridge, microwave, flat screen tv. It didnt smell bad, it was clean and the beds were made. Yes, the bottom corners of the shower curtain were discolored and could use a wash or bleach, and the plumbing needs to be re-sealed. If you were in a bigger town, this room would go for 40 a night, but when youre stuck in douglas for a night because you got a flat tire and you just need a cheap place to lay your head until the morning, this is just fine. The owners are a friendly South Asian couple, assume Indian, who's house appears to branch off of the small office where they take care of the paperwork and payment. If i was stuck in douglas again, id probably come back. Beware, it is a little noisy in the rooms. Can hear the neighbors talking and the cars driving by.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Missouri
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Stayed at the 4 Winds during the WY state fair. Check in was easy, and the owners were very nice. I did have to pay for the 5 stay up front, which I thought was odd. I had a room on the end of the building, which was very quiet and only had street parking. The room was very stuffy when I arrived, no air or fans had been turned on, so there was an odor that older motels can have. It mostly went away after the first night. The room was very clean, but very dated. The remote for the air worked great, and the room had direct tv, but I never was able to get HBO in my room, as was advertised. The Wifi had good signal and was fast. The bathroom had one plug, in the light fixture, above the sink. There was no place to set anything in the bathroom, so that is always a problem for me, but I made it work. I have to travel to Douglas every year for the fair, and this wouldnt be my first choice to stay at, but I would if there were no other available.

Room Tip: The end room I had was quiet and on a quiet street.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank larikev
Milan, Italy
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

We stayed one night here on our way to Black Hills. 4 winds motel is basic and very old, but the room was big and clean. Bathroom really in need to be remodeled, but was clean.
Wi-fi didn't work in our room (on the back of the building)

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Barbara_Andrea
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We recently attended a wedding in Glenrock, WY, and decided to reserve two nights at the Four Winds, after reading many of the reviews on TripAdvisor. The difference in price was substantial ($55/night vs. $105/night for the chains). I think our expectations were well grounded after reading the reviews.

a) The Good - obviously the price. It seems absurd to me that the chains can ask over $100.00 in a place like Douglas, WY. No snobbery - but we've stayed in the Boulder/Denver Metro area for anywhere from $65.00 to $95.00 night. Another positive note was that the window A/C unit kept the room cool, provided that white noise that we like when we sleep, and even had remote control that worked from the bed, so we could change fan speed, temperature without getting up. Also room was relatively clean

b) The Bad - Room size was OK, but arrangement haphazard. Small counter handled the refrigerator and microwave. Coffeemaker was there, but had no outlet available within reach, so you had to move it to the small dining table to brew coffee. Bathroom was relatively clean, but grout between tub was dirty; some plastic tiles were missing off wall. Shower curtain had some mold on it. Since we stayed 2 nights, we used our disposable coffee cups the first night, and they were not replaced, which we did not discover until 6:00AM on our departure date. The office was, of course, not accessible at that time, so we poured a brewed pot of coffee down the drain. Picky, perhaps, but the only service provided in our stay was a replacement of towels and emptying of trash.

C.) The Ugly - Yes, this is a quaint, Route 66-ish style roadside drive-up motel, but it has not been maintained properly. Safety hazards abound with overloaded extension cords, a mixture of grounded and non-grounded outlets, and many 3-wire grounded devices converted to 2 wire with the cheap adapters. The provided hair dryer had a Rube Goldberg setup, and would not let my wife use it for fear of electrocution. Since we were visiting in 100 degree weather of summer, we didn't need the space heater, but in many jurisdictions, such a heater is not permitted in sleeping rooms (non-sealed combustion chamber heater). There were both Smoke and CO detectors, however. Noise was not bad considering the proximity to the highway, although we were adjacent to the utility room and there was a lot of banging around during the evening.

Conclusion: I'm not prepared to say this isn't a value, just due to the overpricing of chain motels which I don't think justify the cost. However, as we drove away, we both came to the conclusion that it was not worth it, and therefore would not stay here again. I recognize and acknowledge that for people doing weekly bookings, oil field related, the cost is of primary consideration. I didn't encounter any of the rowdiness that some reviews mentioned. And ironically, both nights we were there, there was a NO Vacancy sign on. I suspect they do stay full just due to the price.

I also had minimal interaction with the owner(s), so I couldn't speak to their friendliness.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family