$125
Travelocity
$100
$69
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We recently attended a wedding in Glenrock, WY, and decided to reserve two nights at the Four Winds, after reading many of the reviews on TripAdvisor. The difference in price was substantial ($55/night vs. $105/night for the chains). I think our expectations were well grounded after reading the reviews.

a) The Good - obviously the price. It seems absurd to me that the chains can ask over $100.00 in a place like Douglas, WY. No snobbery - but we've stayed in the Boulder/Denver Metro area for anywhere from $65.00 to $95.00 night. Another positive note was that the window A/C unit kept the room cool, provided that white noise that we like when we sleep, and even had remote control that worked from the bed, so we could change fan speed, temperature without getting up. Also room was relatively clean

b) The Bad - Room size was OK, but arrangement haphazard. Small counter handled the refrigerator and microwave. Coffeemaker was there, but had no outlet available within reach, so you had to move it to the small dining table to brew coffee. Bathroom was relatively clean, but grout between tub was dirty; some plastic tiles were missing off wall. Shower curtain had some mold on it. Since we stayed 2 nights, we used our disposable coffee cups the first night, and they were not replaced, which we did not discover until 6:00AM on our departure date. The office was, of course, not accessible at that time, so we poured a brewed pot of coffee down the drain. Picky, perhaps, but the only service provided in our stay was a replacement of towels and emptying of trash.

C.) The Ugly - Yes, this is a quaint, Route 66-ish style roadside drive-up motel, but it has not been maintained properly. Safety hazards abound with overloaded extension cords, a mixture of grounded and non-grounded outlets, and many 3-wire grounded devices converted to 2 wire with the cheap adapters. The provided hair dryer had a Rube Goldberg setup, and would not let my wife use it for fear of electrocution. Since we were visiting in 100 degree weather of summer, we didn't need the space heater, but in many jurisdictions, such a heater is not permitted in sleeping rooms (non-sealed combustion chamber heater). There were both Smoke and CO detectors, however. Noise was not bad considering the proximity to the highway, although we were adjacent to the utility room and there was a lot of banging around during the evening.

Conclusion: I'm not prepared to say this isn't a value, just due to the overpricing of chain motels which I don't think justify the cost. However, as we drove away, we both came to the conclusion that it was not worth it, and therefore would not stay here again. I recognize and acknowledge that for people doing weekly bookings, oil field related, the cost is of primary consideration. I didn't encounter any of the rowdiness that some reviews mentioned. And ironically, both nights we were there, there was a NO Vacancy sign on. I suspect they do stay full just due to the price.

I also had minimal interaction with the owner(s), so I couldn't speak to their friendliness.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank rainman48
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I have been staying at the 4 Winds Motel while I am trying to find a place to live in Douglas. The Singhs are really great people and the rooms are comfortable. It's not the Holiday Inn but perfect for someone in my situation.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jonathan G
Reviewed October 3, 2011

we reserved a room here because we read some good reviews about the place. i don't understand?! it is certainly overpriced. the room is fairly clean, but very outdated and absolutely not nicely decorated. i think the walls are made out of paper aswell. we were glad it was just for one night.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank reismeisjevlaanderen
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We stayed at the Four Winds on the first night of our move to Texas. The place is privately owned and operated by a family that lives on premises. There was plenty of room for the Uhaul and trailer along the side of the hotel. The rooms are all a bit different from each other. Not a lot of frills but comfortable. We stayed in the room next to the office and could hear the TV in the family's living room. No big deal since they didn't stay up too late. They took care of all requests and were very friendly. If you want luxury, you will be disappointed. If you want a good, clean, comfortable room at a great price that may be a little dated, then you can stay here and be happy.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank RobertL
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I reserved a night at the 4 Winds Motel based on the good reviews here on TripAdvisor. It is a well kept, clean motel. Nothing fancy but for the rate I paid this is what I expected. My son and I had driven 10+ hours from south central Minnesota and needed a place to sleep as we worked our way to the Grand Tetons. Wi-fi was good. Refrigerator and microwave in the room was nice to have.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family