“not worth the stay” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Four Winds Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Douglas
Four Winds Motel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Douglas
vlaanderen
“not worth the stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

we reserved a room here because we read some good reviews about the place. i don't understand?! it is certainly overpriced. the room is fairly clean, but very outdated and absolutely not nicely decorated. i think the walls are made out of paper aswell. we were glad it was just for one night.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
1 Thank reismeisjevlaanderen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

We stayed at the Four Winds on the first night of our move to Texas. The place is privately owned and operated by a family that lives on premises. There was plenty of room for the Uhaul and trailer along the side of the hotel. The rooms are all a bit different from each other. Not a lot of frills but comfortable. We stayed in the room next to the office and could hear the TV in the family's living room. No big deal since they didn't stay up too late. They took care of all requests and were very friendly. If you want luxury, you will be disappointed. If you want a good, clean, comfortable room at a great price that may be a little dated, then you can stay here and be happy.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank RobertL
La Crosse, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

I reserved a night at the 4 Winds Motel based on the good reviews here on TripAdvisor. It is a well kept, clean motel. Nothing fancy but for the rate I paid this is what I expected. My son and I had driven 10+ hours from south central Minnesota and needed a place to sleep as we worked our way to the Grand Tetons. Wi-fi was good. Refrigerator and microwave in the room was nice to have.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Hutto, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

Maybe my attitude made the hospitality less alluring to me when I showed up. The strange man stumbling in the parking lot who "lived here" was worrisome. No one was rude, but I did seem to change the pattern of something that was going on outside.??

The rooms are big, decor is old, plug ins are odd. TV small. Price is great.

My wife threatened to sleep on top of me, so she would not have to sleep on the bed. I was fine, and so was she. The beds were clean, room clean. Kids slept like rocks.

The place was full, and I did not hear a single noise from the other travelers. We left in the morning prior to the oil field workers, so they had a nightcap the night before, and offered us beverages. Great people staying there, just a bad taste in the mouth as to the safety and cleanliness.

My wife would not stay there ever again, threatened to make me go get another room at the Holiday Inn Express. If the need arises, and I am in the area, I know this place will be perfect, minus my family. OR maybe just the wife?

The worrying thing is the bathroom on the wall over the sink, and in the shower had H and C over them, on the sides traditionally associated with hot and cold. Maybe it is a strange requirement in this town, or state, but was the least appealing thing to my wife. could have been helpful to idiots?

No frills, no fuss, clean beds, Window Unit AC, motor inn decor, nice shower head. small TV, but I was there to sleep and keep traveling.

Room Tip: any room, probably the same.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank NursCEO
Mississauga, Ont.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

We went to Douglas to be with our camping friends, we dont have a trailer anymore so look for a Motel. This met all our expectations. Fridge, Microwave, coffee maker and very comfortable beds. Ice cubes available in the office and very friendly owners. The price was also reasonable. We also liked being able to drive up to our room, we are seniors, so dont want to have to climb stairs. The ice cream shop across the road has so many different flavors, had to try a few. Dont hesitate to stop at this Motel if you are in the area.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank GrammaC
United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2011

Last week my car blew her engine outside of Douglas. The entire town was over-run with oil field workers and the Motel 8 had one room for 80+ dollars. The tow truck drive made a call and found me a room at The Four Winds for less than half that price.

The owners are friendly and helpful. My phone charger was still in my car, so the owner lent me one for my stay. I will admit the decor and style screams 1950, but for the price the room was clean, the water was abundant and hot, the AC blew ice cold, and the wireless internet worked great and was free. Each room was occupied and yet it was quiet and peaceful. I didn't even hear the tv through the walls from the next room.

The only downside is it was a mile walk to a selection of diners. The distance wasn't a problem, but the lack of sidewalks or crosswalks was a drag. Also, the sign with a steaming cup of hot coffee and the words " The Gathering Place" about a block away is not (as one would think) a coffee shop. It's a church.

If I ever am broken down in Douglas again I would stay at the Four Winds.

Room Tip: Ask nicely
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Northern Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

We stayed at the Four Winds based on the number one rating on Trip Advisor. It is fall back to the 1950s or so. It has comfortable beds, very clean, nice size room and refrigerator and a microwave. You feel very safe when you stay there. It is not a fancy hotel, but a place where Grandma and Grandpa would have felt comfortable.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple