“Never Again”
Review of Bear Lodge Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dayton
Bear Lodge Resort
Gillette, Wyoming
“Never Again”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I would highly recommend avoiding a trip to this place.... too start off my family is coming to visit me in wyoming so I thought it would be fun to rent some snowmobiles while they where on their visit. I reserved 3 snowmobiles for a half day at $130 a piece ( which is a little steep I should say) coming to a total of $390 plus tax which comes to roughly $410. When you reserve you have to put half down over the phone which would be $205. Later that day I look at my bank account just to make sure and guess what?.... There where two withdrawals one for $205 and one for $250. I then called in to the desk and she said the accidently made a mistake and then went to tell me she voided the $205 and withdrew the $250 instead....... anyone that has basic math skills can figure out that half of $410 is $205 right??? she obviously voided the wrong one. So she then told me she was wrong and she said she would be right back, I look at my phone 3 minutes later and she hung up on me.... So being very upset I decide to wait until the next day to give the manager a call. Well guess what? the next day I look at my account and there is another $205 taken from this damn place. So instead of paying the initial $205 I am now down over $650 in my account and they keep telling me since they voided them it will re appear back in my account in a couple days.... wouldn't you be pissed off if you where missing an extra $450 in your banking acount... Um ok so your telling me I have to go through a couple days with no cash what so ever in my account because I wasn't expecting $650 to be withdrawn and to top it all off I have a truck payment going through the next day which will put me in my overdraft and incur a fee.... they say It's your bank and it's not our problem, that's what they told me. I told them it has to be charged from you before it goes to the bank. How is there 3 withdrawls from my account from bear lodge but somehow my bank is making the mistake but for some reason they are to incompetent to understand anything basic. So with all of these transactions voided and pending I asked the manager since they basically F&$%ked up big time the least they could do is give me a full day of sleading at half day price. What was the answer? No and you can't have a refund on your reserved sleds. So we decided to go anyway just so the money didn't go to waste and I gave them a piece of my mind while I was there.... I highly recommend avoiding this dump not to count rude and inconsiderate...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
22 Thank heavyD21

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Bear Lodge in Wyoming. At first, I was apprehensive after reading the negative reviews but my partner in Wyoming told me that it would be a good place to stay. The service was excellent, staff very friendly & helpful. Quality of the restaurant & the food was excellent & the maid service, very good.

Room Tip: Stay on the 2nd Floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank GatorlandK9
Melrose, Minnesota
Reviewed September 27, 2012

This is not a resort, by any stretch of your imagination. The surrounding scenery and recreational opportunities rate a 10, the resort and it's two sibilings (Arrowhead and Elk View) rate less than a zero.

I brought my wife out on a visit on the recomendation of friends that snowmobile in the Bighorns in the winter. As stated, outdoor experience is fantastic, the lodge suks. Dirty and overpriced, with a emphasis on employees (though I do not fault them) that do not understand the basics of the hospitality industry. Translation: What can I do to help you? Instead of why are you bothering me when I am so obviously busy trying to perform a job that I am in no way qualified, nor trained for.

Cooke City was by far a better experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank cash d

Travelers are raving about these Dayton hotels

Gillette, Wyoming
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We recently stayed on our way to Yellowstone. Big mistake!!!

As others have alluded......this place is infested and nothing but a trash heap. Our room (which cost about $90) was filthy. Stained carpets, gross bedding, the wallpaper is literally peeling off the walls, leaking toilet, broken screen and curtain rod. I could go on and on. The grounds around the lodge is littered with.....there is no other way to describe it.....trash. I saw broken down (abandoned?) vehicles, trailers and snowmobiles. Piles of discarded and useless property are strewn about the premises. It makes Detroit look like a park.

The bar is extremely dark.....for good reason. It is filthy and stinks like cigarettes (which people were huffing on non-stop). I'm told it was mostly employees in the bar smoking. As for the employees, well most of the employees that I could see looked like they belonged on Americas Most Wanted, and all of them looked like they needed a bath. The food was terrible and overpriced.

My husband comes out here every winter snowmobiling, and loves it. But then, he is with a group of men and they are either out sledding, drinking, or sleeping. They have no complaints. I had to have a few drinks before I could consider laying down on the bed, and I did not shower the next morning. Waited until our next hotel. Which, funny story......the waiter at the resort at Yellowstone said he was hired to work at Bear Lodge over a year ago. He showed up for work and was disgusted with the conditions. He left 3 days later and was hired by Pahashke Resort at Yellowstone.

So if you are a guy that is looking for a place to lay your drunken head, this is it. If you are a person with reasonable standards of cleanliness......do not ever consider this hellhole.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
18 Thank heidi M
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I'll start out by saying that I practically grew up in the Bighorn Mtns. I've spent time there EVERY summer since I was born. Therefore, I know what Bear Lodge was like before the current owners. It wasn't good either but it has gotten 10X's worse in the years that the current owners have had it. I keep hoping that they will go through and clean the place up a bit, including back in the trees around the cabins and camping areas. I have decided they will never do it. We decided to make a last minute reservation for Labor Day weekend, it should have raised red flags that we were able to get a "rustic" cabin on such short notice. We rolled in late Friday night, payed the deposit for the key to unlock the padlock on the door, drove back, climbed out, took a deep breath expecting cool evening mountain air, and started gagging, it smelled like their septic tanks overflowed. Go around and every single outhouse is filthy, even for an outhouse, and haven't been pumped in years. Go inside to take care of business and the indoor toilets are disgusting. Go to use the shower area and retreat quickly for fear of catching hepatitis. Go eat a Big Mike's homemade pie pulled directly off of the SYSCO frozen food truck, which probably isn't a bad thing after observing the hygiene of the staff and the abundant health code violations in plain view. Speaking of Big Mike, rude and unpleasant. The sad thing is, you'd think you could go to one of the other establishments up there but then realize they own Arrowhead and Elk View as well, they rotate the same staff around to each one and you get the same inept service and crappy food. I will continue to go to my beloved Bighorn Mtns for years to come but until this pair sells the lodges I will not step foot inside one of them again.

Room Tip: Sleep under a tarp far away so you don't smell this place
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
16 Thank D S
Roanoke, Indiana, United States
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We arrived late, in the rain, and the "resort" is so remote that there was no chance of finding another place to stay. Honestly if it hadn't been raining we would have gone somewhere, anywhere, and set up our nice, clean tent. As it was I took one look around outside (trash and JUNK, literally EVERYWHERE, car parts, heaps of scrap wood, etc), and one look inside (strange mismatched furniture, questionable beds/bedding, dirty floors, curtains barely hanging on) and my stomach just churned. What kind of place is this!? We sat outside under a ramshackle RV carport type thing with a broken, wobbly picnic table and discussed our options. Basically I told him I could NOT do it. I could not and was NOT putting my clean sleeping bag on a bed that most likely came off one of the trash heaps outside. He finally agreed with me and the two of us and our dog spent the night in our car. I was no way no how using the outside facilities provided for the cabins, so while the doors to the lodge were still open I went inside to use the bathroom. The lodge itself might have been okay, although it all looked run down and smelled musty. Maybe in winter people don't care because the trash is covered by snow, but come on even snowmobilers have to have some standards. I feel bad cause I've never written a review this bad before. But we have a new rating system of our own. It's called the "Cabin 15" system. If it comes close to Cabin 15 it is about the rankest place on earth.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
17 Thank PollyKing
Vail, Colorado
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This is a beautiful location, but they are so short staffed that getting decent customer service is slim. You can blame the employees as they are doing the best they can, but I would go camping vs paying for rooms that aren't very clean. Food isn't bad but I wonder about how clean the kitchen is if the rooms are any indication. I felt bad for the front desk clerk who had the phones ringing, and a line forming. I only stayed one nite, and they was good enuf for me forever. I'll be camping and there's plenty of camping to be had.

Room Tip: Before you get in that bed look for bugs. I know they had some issues of bedbugs but they travel wit...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
12 Thank michelle D

Been to Bear Lodge Resort? Share your experiences!