“Wonderful cabins!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cody
Shoshone Lodge & Guest Ranch
Ranked #2 of 30 Specialty Lodging in Cody
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed here on our recent trip to Yellowstone. We were in the Camp Sacajawea Cabin (#14/15). There were 2 rooms each with 2 queen beds and a sitting area with sofa. 1 bathroom. One room had a TV and refrigerator and microwave as well. We absolutely loved the cabin! The rockers on the front porch are great! I had looked at reviews ahead of time on Tripadvisor and saw that there were no drawers so I brought along pop up storage bins from Dollar Tree...one for each of us so the no drawer thing wasn't a problem. I also read that there wasn't much room in the bathroom. The bathroom itself isn't that small, but there's not much counter space to set stuff on so I brought a hanging pocket organizer and hung it on the back of the door....worked just fine. I would recommend the pop up bins and a hanging organizer if you are staying here and are concerned about the space. The actual cabin was spacious though.

We really enjoyed the nightly campfires and the kids loved roasting marshmallows and making s'mores. The people who run it are all very nice. The scenery if fabulous! We had a deer walking around right outside our cabin one day nibbling on the plants. Someone else who was staying there at the same time we were had a bear walk right up to their porch...so if you have small children be sure to keep an eye on them.

We ate at the restaurant one night. It was too pricy to eat there more. The food was ok. The salad bar was excellent, but the steaks were just average. We got the pan seared ribeyes. I'm from Texas where we grill our steaks over mesquite so I was a little disappointed with the pan seared steak...not as much flavor as a grilled one. It was nice that my husband could order a beer from the restaurant and just charge it to the room and sit and drink it by the campfire. They do have a propane grill available if you'd like to save a little money and cook your own food. There are stores in Cody. We stocked up on supplies at Wal-Mart there on our way in. The one night we were going to use the grill it was raining so we never got to, but it's right by the campfire area.

There is also a play area with a teepee. It really needed to be mowed when we were there though. There's also a swingset right near the Camp Sacajawea Cabin.

Wifi is spotty. It came in best from our porch. They also have a computer you can use in the lodge. The lodge was a nice place to sit in and visit with other guests too. Normally, we did that around the campfire, but one night we had a storm move through so we had to head inside.

The location of the cabin is great. It's only 3 miles from the East Entrance of Yellowstone. Keep in mind though that Yellowstone is huge so you still have another twenty-something miles to go before you get to a junction that will either take you over to the geysers or the Grand Canyon area. I was not impressed with the in park lodging so Shoshone Lodge was perfect for us! It's also only 45 min. from Cody. We spent one day in Cody and went to the Dam and the Buffalo Bill Historic Center...I'd highly recommend the Historic Center.

All in all, the cabins were great. I just have one complaint that keeps me from giving them the "excellent" rating. The restaurant on property is quite popular with the local citizens so it can get pretty busy especially on Friday and Saturday nights. Several days we came back from a long day at the park to find lots of restaurant customers parked in front of our cabin. One day we barely found space to park there ourselves. I really think they need designated parking for restaurant guests. It was annoying to have random people parked in front of the cabin...especially when they pulled up blaring music from their cars and screaming and yelling. Their website states that from our cabin we had a view of the waterwheel...well, not with everyone parked in front of our cabin!
One night was particularly bad. A woman with a bunch of kids pulled up right as I was trying to take a picture of a rainbow over the cabin. She pulled right into my picture and parked right by our front porch. They ate at the restaurant and then her kids proceeded to run around the campfire and the property for well over an hour screaming at the top of their lungs! Totally ruined the nice peaceful setting we were paying for. When they finally left, they set off their car alarm...again, right in front of our cabin. Since those kids were so obnoxious none of us, not even our kids, wanted to go to the campfire that night. Some people who were there told us the next night that the kids were throwing stuff into the fire and almost burned themselves several times. Stuff like this wouldn't happen if the campfire was reserved just for cabin guests.

So, as wonderful as the cabins and the location are, it could be better if they would find a way to keep the restaurant customers separate from the cabin guests when it comes to parking and the campfire.

Room Tip: Look at their cabin map on their website. If you want a quieter cabin pick one far from the restaur...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 11, 2013

You won't find staff anywhere who are friendlier and more accommodating. Kudos to Gail at the desk, Kate in the restaurant (exceptional food!!) and the cowpokes on the breakfast trail ride. We were less impressed with our cabin. Disclaimer: we're "hotel people" so the cabin experience really wasn't for us. We missed having a cell signal, wireless connection and television. The connection in the main lodge was too slow to be of much use. And the floor of the cabin was sooty/dirty, so that I needed my flip flops on at all times. The beds were sunken in the middle so my spouse and I rolled together, and the bathroom was tiny and also a little dirty and musty. Again, if you're a camper or someone who stays in a cabin comfortably, it's probably fine. Enjoyed the trail ride, got excellent advice on what to see in Yellowstone, and ate ourselves silly at the delicious breakfasts and dinners.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jean W
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We found this little gem on google maps prior to our trip to Yellowstone. We arrived at 4:30 pm and they knew exactly who we were when we drove up. The lovely lady at the check in made us feel right at home and walked us to our individual cabin. All the cabins have rocking chairs on the porch and it feels like you are coming home to your family cabin. There is a stream near by that you can hear as you fall asleep and there is a camp fire at night that people were roasting marshmallows around at night. After check in we went to Yellowstone for a few hours, this lodge is the closest to the East gate that you can get and it is a beautiful drive along the canyon. After we got back from the park we had dinner in their dinning room and all the food was so good. It all tasted home made and the waitress was very friendly. We would have stayed a second night but they were all booked! So we will for sure stay here again! We will just book far in advance!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle G
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed in the Remington Cabin (#18). It took me about 10 minutes to decide we should stay a second night. I was thrilled we were able to stay in the same cabin both nights. Just having come out of a 6 day, soggy, backpacking adventure, it was so nice to have access to free laundry facilities on site. The cabin was beautiful, with plenty of space to lay out clothes & gear to unpack, sort, clean & dry.

The staff went above & beyond to immediately again & again meet our requests. They are ALL amazing! The food was really good, the coffee amazing (I am a self proclaimed coffee snob having a semi-pro espresso machine at home so I know coffee).

I went for the breakfast ride, a little skeptical since I own a horse and ride 3-4 days a week. I was given a lovely, spunky mare named Doll, who trotted up all the hills. She was a joy to ride & allowed me to practice my horsemanship skills.

Campfire was so fun! We spent hours each night getting to know other guests swapping stories & travel suggestions.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alealoa
Reviewed September 3, 2013

On our 20 day trip in Montana Wyoming and Arizona this was the standout, mike from the time I was emailing from Australia booking in and moving days was great, then arrived, a beautiful place. Great easy people' no fuss. The location was glorious. We stayed at the lodge accommodation was good comfortable and homely. We then did the pack ride , a lifetime experience. Only negative was I wish it was longer. Josh the guide was confident no fuss and all round good guy. He was a great cook of the one trout we caught, shared amoung 4 not enough fishing time. Look out the river is cold if you fall in.The wilderness scenery was without compare. It was something we will never forget until we come back. Must mention the czechi kid also turned up pistols,rifles, engraved saddle and happy attitude. On coming back to the lodge we stayed and a few tired boys couldn't,t be rustled from the relaxation of the place. Really didn't want to leave. A note on the food, during our trip we at at many more expensive location but none more satisfying than Shoshone. We hope to go back.

Room Tip: Do the pack ride unforgettable
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank thelongy
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in the Cabin Creek. Not only is it a GREAT place to stay but it is literally 3 miles from the East entrance of Yellowstone. We loved our cabin! It had a modern rustic feel with nice furnishings and decorations. It was pretty private, separated by a tree lines and plants. Had a front porch with rocking chairs. We were both surprised by how comfortable the bed and pillows were. Bathroom had a Jacuzzi tub which was very nice. No TVs in the cabins- it would have been nice for in the evening but we spent our time out on the porch or at the fire pit, just meant more quality time with each other.
The lodge is really neat, has an old history. Also has a dinning room, and a sitting area with guest computer and TV. All the staff we encountered were excellent. We ate at the lodge almost daily for breakfast and dinner. They have a nice range of food to choose from, good prices and all of our meals were very good. Scenery is beautiful. They have quite a bit to offer. They sell books, postcards, post stamps, shirts, etc. They will rent bear spray out to guests who want to go for a hike (didn't ask about taking it into the park though). Free WiFi, nightly fire with smores, guest grills, playground, horse back rides, coin laundry and more. We did not go on a ride because our time was limited with what we wanted to do in the park, but we did go down to the corrals and pet the horses (they have 50!). We absolutely loved our time here and would recommend anyone to stay here!

Room Tip: We stayed in Cabin Creek, which is Cabin #7. It was very private and perfect for couples.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Greco32
Reviewed August 16, 2013

In mid-July My husband & I along with our niece and her family stayed for a week in the Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid adjoining cabins. Our cabins were no frills but were clean and comfortable. We enjoyed our time there every day so much. We were not treated as guests, but instead as though we were family and friends. We would love to name all the fine people who contributed to our wonderful stay there, but we would be concerned that we would leave someone out! We all had the time of our lives, esp. our great niece who absolutely loved the horses and her horseback ride with her mom & dad and by the end of the week had become a little cowgirl. We loved the lodge, fantastic meals, pancakes the size of dinner plates, great service, and esp. loved the porch were we could relax and talk with new found friends. Shoshone was a great base for our many enjoyable experiences including the scenic beauty, the smell of lodgepole pines in the park, wonderful adventures in Yellowstone, a day trip to the Tetons, and several great trips to Cody. It was one of the greatest adventures in our lives! We miss all of you very much!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cody
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabins
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabin...
#2 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Best Western Sunset Inn
Best Western Premier Ivy Inn & Suites
Pahaska Teepee Resort
Creekside Lodge at Yellowstone
Blackwater Creek Ranch

Been to Shoshone Lodge & Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!