“Clean, amazing bed, beautiful sheets, but smells weird”

Cody Cowboy Village
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Cody
Reviewed June 5, 2012

First of all, the location, which is west of town, is ideal for making the trip to Yellowstone a breeze. The entire complex feels very new. The cottages appear to be just a few years old. The rooms, though a bit small (at least mine was) had very charming western touches throughout, with a strong contemporary cowboy theme without going overboard.

The beds were fantastic and the sheets were fresh and beautiful. The linens were fantastic. The room was impeccably clean. Spotless.

Now, I do have some concerns which may deter me from future visits. From the moment I entered any of the interior spaces, which consisted of the lobby/dining area and my room, there was a strong, powerful aroma which smelled like a deodorizer or a potpourri basket on steroids. It was not an organic natural scent, but something that was man made. It was clotingly sweet, and for some it could be nausating. It was not a bad smell, but it was powerful and disruptive to an otherwise lovely room. I think that the guests must be too polite to say anything. There may be a very good reason for using this scent as the area is very close to a creek that has some sulphur vents, which can be smelled outdoors pretty clearly if the wind is just right. I smelled that on a regular basis outside. It would be nice if management told us in advance about this, but this would really drive away business before anyone got to experince the charming rooms.

Breakfast is the standard fare that seems to have taken over all mid level hotels in the $100-$200 range in much of the country. Mass market coffee, tea, powdered hot cocoa, hard boiled eggs, cereal, bananas, minute maid juice etc. for something different, they did have biscuits and gravy. However, this trend of monotonous continental breakfasts at chain hotels really squanders the opportunity for any property to stand out. Nothing appears to be locally crafted, locally grown, organic, sustainable, or for that matter, terribly healthy. There is no innovation or creativity at all. Maybe it is a sign of corporate hotels, but a small charming and unique hotel like this can do something great by breaking with tradition, and serve some local eggs, cheeses, or produce, or anything to highlight some of Cody's great small businesses such as bakeries or other artisans.

I am a hard grader when it comes to hotels. For this price, I thought the room was good, with great beds and spotlesslely clean facilities, and I would give it three stars accept for the artificial scents in the room, the sulphur gases and the below average breakfast.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Tom K
Write a ReviewReviews (1,318)

Reviewed May 31, 2012

When we arrived our room was not ready. When they checked us in they stuck us all the way in the back for no reason. We completely unpacked and went to museum for the day. When we got to room, we were tired and exhausted. Then we found soiled dirty sheets, the whole area outside smelled like a sewer treatment plant was close by and they said they had WI-FI, but i absolutely could not get any Internet access. Called them and they gave me excuses about bad weather, said i could change rooms. Who wants to move all their stuff after unpacking and walking all day...... Paid in the morning and checked out, had to wait for receipt cause their computer was not working properly.... Conclusion ??????? Weak management, would never recommend this place. Should have paid the extra money and gone to Holiday Inn, it was'nt that much more...............A. H. Long Beach, Ca :-( :-( :-(

2  Thank Airbob
Reviewed May 29, 2012

- Really (really!!) clean rooms, clean bedding, clean bathroom
- Front desk staff is super helpful and knowledgable, the girl gave us a map of Yellowstone with all of her recommendations of stuff to make sure to see, and we followed this map the entire time...had a great time in the park and saw everything we needed to, thanks to her guidance.
(also followed her suggestion to eat dinner at The Proud Cut, located right on the main drag. She didn't steer us wrong there, either. Best meal of the *entire* trip at The Proud Cut)
- I really liked that you can park right in front of your porch, made loading and unloading so easy
- Quiet, although we did hear some kind of animal bellowing during the night (sounded like a moose or elk or something?) but it wasn't a big deal.
- Still on the main road, but not located right in the thick of the tourist strip, I thought the location was great, because it was easy to find your way back and to get in and out.
- Breakfast was basic, exactly what you would expect.
I would definitely stay here again, just longer next time!

1  Thank Aces W
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I wish we had more time to spend in Cody and I highly recommend this place! Clean, Nice big room and very friendly, helpful staff. Very homey and beautiful view of the mountains. Breakfast is ok - nothing special - but everything else is worth the stay.

1  Thank Beth I
Reviewed May 20, 2012

On April 29th we got a phone call from our dad saying he had a stroke we live in Washington so we packed our bags and left right away when we got to Idaho I called Petra the manager of Cody Cowboy Village and asked if we could stay there for the week. Cody Cowboy Village had not opened up yet for the season but she said YES I will give you a room. When we arrived we got to stay in the same cabin we did in 2010 and we loved it.We love this place so much it is our home away from home. Petra is the best Manager I have ever met she is awesome and will take care of you no matter what. Sense we live 15 hours away with not so healthy parents she told us to call her anytime we want and she will make sure there is a room for us. Petra you are the BEST :) the room are spotless, the beds are the most comfortable we have ever slept in and we love the shower. We will be coming back to Wyoming in October and we come back 2 times a year and we will ALWAYS stay here. Thank you so much Petra.

1  Thank Lowe2
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Rooms were immaculate, nicely decorated and the staff is great. Petra, the manager, is the best I have ever met. She is definitely there to make sure your stay is a good experience. Helped unload our bags, explained our suite and we were also there when Matthew F had his tire changed. I believe the season was just opening but the windows of the log cabin sparkled inside and out and this is a very dry and dusty area. One hour drive to Yellowstone and just on the edge of Cody.
You won't regret staying here.

Room Tip: We had a cabin in the rear and did upgrade to a suite that we really enjoyed. They do allow pets.