“Sign said New Mexican style so we stopped”

Zapata's Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 87 Restaurants in Cody
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Pendleton, Oregon
“Sign said New Mexican style so we stopped”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife is from New Mexico and she loves New Mexican style Mexican food. Zapata's claimed to be and I guess they sort of are. What we found was a pretty run down Mexican joint with pretty average Mexican food. The table cloth was plastic that had been recently wiped down. The food was uninspiring. the service was OK but our waiter had a rather large open sore on his lip. I am not sure why we stayed probably road weary but would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Visited August 2013
sunnyskyCodyWy, Owner at Zapata's Mexican Restaurant, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
How rude are you to comment on someones looks. NOt very nice. My place is far from run down it is clean and kept up very well right down to the brand new carpet. I will make sure I tell Mrs Chavez and Mrs Cota that this isn't New Mexico style food. I have people from New Mexico everyday that tell me I should open a Zapatas in their state of New Mexico. Sorry you didn't enjoy it. But stop being so rude when you do a review. My server saw what you wrote and was very upset. He cant miss work cause he has kids to feed.

Owner

“Don't bother unless you like poor slow service and mediocre food.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

I've scouted out Mexican food from Cozumel to Northern Michigan and I was expecting better in Cowboy country than what I received. Service is not defined as quality of the food, which is good, because at this restaurant it would have qualified this place with a 0. The waiter took forever to notice us ( and it was a slow afternoon) and the forgot the guacamole I'd ordered to go with the chips. My meal came with rice (good) and beans ( if I didn't know better I'd swear they came straight from the can). Portions were appropriate for a child. Three forkful and the rice gone. The only good thing were the
strips of steak that came with the meal. The strips were thick and very tasty. The steak did not make up for the service or the quality of the rest of the meal.

• Visited September 2013
Thank You for your input and you are right when you said you don' know better cause you don't. All my dishes are prepared fresh from scratch every day. If your sevice was a bit slow I am sorry but I do have several new servers that are still in training. My building is far from run down. It is clean with brand new carpet and is kept up very well. So there is really no need for you to act like a fool so I guess we are both glad you wont be back

“Tex Mex”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Got into town and we were going to have steak. We saw this place and decided to change our plans. The food is good. The salsa is very good.

Visited August 2013
Alexandria, Virginia
“A Fine Place to Stop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

My older son wanted Mexican food the minute he saw this restaurant. We read the Trip Advisor reviews, and decided to take a chance. It was definitely worth the trip. The carnitas were excellent, and the chips and salsa were yummy. We got the "bucket of beers," which was a great bargain at $10 for 5 beers. Our server was good, although a little quick to pick up our plates. (I had just put my last bite of carnitas into my mouth when we scooped up my plate.) In the end, our party of 5 left with happy tummies, and all of us would recommend a stop at Zapata's.

• Visited August 2013
sunnyskyCodyWy, Owner at Zapata's Mexican Restaurant, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank You for taking to time to let me know how much you enjoyed your visit to Zapata's. Me and my staff (even if most of them are still in training) try very hard to make sure everyone is happy when they leave Zapata's. I am not only the owner I am the cook and I cook everything from sctch every morning. My salsa and chips are made fresh all day long. Again Thank You and hope to see you again sometime.

Manchester, Iowa
“Eating on the Run”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

We needed something to eat in between river rafting and horseback riding so we decided on Zapata's. We were busy making the arrangements for horseback riding when we first arrived so this delayed our ordering. Our waiter however, seemed to understand and when we said we needed to leave in less than an hour he made this happen. The food was good and hit the spot. We made it to our destination on time with full stomachs thanks to Zapata's!

Visited August 2013