“1950's time warp (in a good way)”
Review of Big Bear Motel

Big Bear Motel
Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Cody
Reviewed September 23, 2006

Very clean. Very friendly, helpful owners on-site. Comfortable beds. This is like the motels you stayed in as a kid, only cleaner. At $48 a night, it's a great deal at a nice place.

If you want luxury, go next door to the Cowboy Village's brand new log cabin motel for $130 a night. Very nice owners, heavenly beds. This is a 2006 version of a high-end motel, with 2006 prices.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Daniel Will
Bigbearmotel2, Owner at Big Bear Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Hi Bill what a weird review

Reviewed September 22, 2006

We were disappointed when we saw the rooms, and no they were not up to the standard we had been used to, but the family running the motel were extremely friendly and helpful. During our one night stay they arranged a tour so we could see the wild mustang herd which grazes outside of Cody and arranged for the tour guide to pick us up from the motel. My seven year old niece had a great time helping to feed the horses and enjoyed being taken around around the motel on a quad bike. The motel is a 5 minute walk from Cassies a guenine western restaurant and bar (with real cowboys) which serves great food and had a live country and western band the night we visited (sounds cheesy I know but they was great - or maybe it was the alcohol). This motel is not one of the best in Cody but if you want a change from the faceless motel/hotel chains then the Big Bear Motel is very friendly and definately worth a visit.

• Stayed: August 2006
3  Thank bob100

I think he clicked the wrong buttons if you read the review he had a great time to bad he gave us that score Bill

Reviewed September 8, 2006

I booked this hotel for my wife and I based on the other reviews I read here and the #1 rating it received. However, we were disappointed. Was it clean? Well, when we arrived there was a used facecloth hanging on the shower rod. That concerned us. Compared to your basic Super8 or Days Inn, I would say that it was nowhere near as clean. I was a little afraid to walk around the room in my bare feet.

The owners were friendly but as we only stayed one night, we didn't get to talk with them much.

The breakfast was a little lacking as well.

Overall, would we stay here again? Probably not. We saw nothing special that we couldn't get at any other motel/hotel.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BattersUp

Hope you enjoyed the area Bill

Reviewed September 5, 2006

In preparation for a motorcycle trip to Yellowstone the Big Bear was recommended to us by a friend. I called and spoke to one of the owners, Jody, who was so friendly and accomodating that I had no problem making the reservations. She even made sure to tell me that there were places to get the bikes under cover if need be.

After spending two nights there I have to say, I would highly recommend this motel. It is right on the edge of town, so it's accessible from the highway, the owners are incredibly friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean and comfy.

Two thumbs WAYYYYY up!!

Thanks Bill & Jody!

Darron & Kitty Williams

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank vstar_pilot

Thanks for the generous words Bill

Reviewed September 1, 2006

If you're going to the rodeo, this is a great spot, as it's an easy walk away. The town and shops are about a five-minute car ride away.

The rooms were small but clean and pleasant. Our kids enjoyed the pool and the little pony.

The owners are very helpful. When we locked our keys in the trunk of the rental car, they were able to get them out for us. Their restaurant recommendations were also great; we loved their breakfast suggestion (Bubba's, down the street).

If we're ever in Cody, we'd stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Come to the rodeo have a great steak go to the museum see the park repeat Bill

Reviewed August 31, 2006

This motel was Excellent. Somehow we stumbeled upon this motel on the internet as we were making a Wyoming-wide tour with our 4 kids (total of 6 people)...and we're glad we did. We got a "Family Suite" which had 3 beds that slept the 6 of us very comfortably. The room was clean and new. The pool was clear, beautiful and big. It was a great location for our stopover in Cody. It was right next to the Cody Rodeo, a mile from the Buffalo Bill Museum, down the street from a great BBQ restaurant, a mile from a Super-WalMart, no traffic noise (or traffic for that matter), and it was at the western edge of Cody so that when we were ready to leave for Yellowstone, we just turned right and we were on our way. Best of all though was the husband-wife team of Bill and Jody. Bill (who looks a little like Buffalo Bill himself) and Jody were great. As I was checking in with my 11 year old daughter by my side, Jody came into the office to make a phone call. As she came in she asked my daughter if she could "hold this" as she handed her some rope. When my daughter turned around, she noticed that there was a riding pony attached to the end of that rope...it made her day. Choose this hotel, it will be your best choice in Cody!

Craig.

Stayed: August 2006
5  Thank cmartise

Best guest for us so there Bill

Reviewed August 28, 2006

Big Bear is a family-owned motel. The owners were very friendly, and accomodating. There rooms were nice and comfortable. At the time we made our reservation there were no remaining pet-rooms with refrigerators remaning.The owner moved a small refrigerator into our room at no extra charge. Nice.

They were excellent resources for local attractions, i.e., trail rides, whitewater rafting, museums, etc.

On departure day I packed early, and got the family off to the river. I came back to check out and do a final inspection of the room. The cleaning lady had found my camera bag, and brought it to the desk. When I went to check out, he handed the bag to me, and had already left a message on my home phone regarding the bag.

Honest, with friendly service.

I cannot say if I will ever come through Cody, WY again, but I would not hesitate to stay with these fine folks again.

Big Bear is easy to find, on the edge of town heading into Yellowstone.

Stayed: July 2006
5  Thank beerwhisperer

Hope to see ya soon Bill