“Not sure about the #1 rating.”
Review of Big Bear Motel

Big Bear Motel
Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Cody
Regina, Canada
“Not sure about the #1 rating.”
Reviewed September 8, 2006

I booked this hotel for my wife and I based on the other reviews I read here and the #1 rating it received. However, we were disappointed. Was it clean? Well, when we arrived there was a used facecloth hanging on the shower rod. That concerned us. Compared to your basic Super8 or Days Inn, I would say that it was nowhere near as clean. I was a little afraid to walk around the room in my bare feet.

The owners were friendly but as we only stayed one night, we didn't get to talk with them much.

The breakfast was a little lacking as well.

Overall, would we stay here again? Probably not. We saw nothing special that we couldn't get at any other motel/hotel.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BattersUp
Bigbearmotel2, Owner at Big Bear Motel, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Hope you enjoyed the area Bill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
South Dakota
Reviewed September 5, 2006

In preparation for a motorcycle trip to Yellowstone the Big Bear was recommended to us by a friend. I called and spoke to one of the owners, Jody, who was so friendly and accomodating that I had no problem making the reservations. She even made sure to tell me that there were places to get the bikes under cover if need be.

After spending two nights there I have to say, I would highly recommend this motel. It is right on the edge of town, so it's accessible from the highway, the owners are incredibly friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean and comfy.

Two thumbs WAYYYYY up!!

Thanks Bill & Jody!

Darron & Kitty Williams

• Liked — The owners and staff! So friendly and helpful!
  • Disliked — Well, maybe you could pave the parking lot. Easier for bikes.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank vstar_pilot
Bigbearmotel2, Owner at Big Bear Motel, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Thanks for the generous words Bill
Rochester, New York
Reviewed September 1, 2006

If you're going to the rodeo, this is a great spot, as it's an easy walk away. The town and shops are about a five-minute car ride away.

The rooms were small but clean and pleasant. Our kids enjoyed the pool and the little pony.

The owners are very helpful. When we locked our keys in the trunk of the rental car, they were able to get them out for us. Their restaurant recommendations were also great; we loved their breakfast suggestion (Bubba's, down the street).

If we're ever in Cody, we'd stay there again.

• Liked — helpful owners
  • Disliked — small room
  • Tips/Secrets — no
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
Bigbearmotel2, Owner at Big Bear Motel, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Come to the rodeo have a great steak go to the museum see the park repeat Bill
Connecticut
Reviewed August 31, 2006

This motel was Excellent. Somehow we stumbeled upon this motel on the internet as we were making a Wyoming-wide tour with our 4 kids (total of 6 people)...and we're glad we did. We got a "Family Suite" which had 3 beds that slept the 6 of us very comfortably. The room was clean and new. The pool was clear, beautiful and big. It was a great location for our stopover in Cody. It was right next to the Cody Rodeo, a mile from the Buffalo Bill Museum, down the street from a great BBQ restaurant, a mile from a Super-WalMart, no traffic noise (or traffic for that matter), and it was at the western edge of Cody so that when we were ready to leave for Yellowstone, we just turned right and we were on our way. Best of all though was the husband-wife team of Bill and Jody. Bill (who looks a little like Buffalo Bill himself) and Jody were great. As I was checking in with my 11 year old daughter by my side, Jody came into the office to make a phone call. As she came in she asked my daughter if she could "hold this" as she handed her some rope. When my daughter turned around, she noticed that there was a riding pony attached to the end of that rope...it made her day. Choose this hotel, it will be your best choice in Cody!

Craig.

Stayed August 2006
5 Thank cmartise
Bigbearmotel2, Owner at Big Bear Motel, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Best guest for us so there Bill
Minnesota
Reviewed August 28, 2006

Big Bear is a family-owned motel. The owners were very friendly, and accomodating. There rooms were nice and comfortable. At the time we made our reservation there were no remaining pet-rooms with refrigerators remaning.The owner moved a small refrigerator into our room at no extra charge. Nice.

They were excellent resources for local attractions, i.e., trail rides, whitewater rafting, museums, etc.

On departure day I packed early, and got the family off to the river. I came back to check out and do a final inspection of the room. The cleaning lady had found my camera bag, and brought it to the desk. When I went to check out, he handed the bag to me, and had already left a message on my home phone regarding the bag.

Honest, with friendly service.

I cannot say if I will ever come through Cody, WY again, but I would not hesitate to stay with these fine folks again.

Big Bear is easy to find, on the edge of town heading into Yellowstone.

Stayed July 2006
5 Thank beerwhisperer
Bigbearmotel2, Owner at Big Bear Motel, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Hope to see ya soon Bill
Spokane Wa
Reviewed August 19, 2006

My husband, daughter and I were on our way back home from a long trip from Spokane Wa. we had gone to Colorado Springs to see my son and his wife and new baby girl. we went from there to Kansas, then through Nabrska, then to Cody and found your motel. my daughter was pleased to fined the pool very inviting after a long car ride. and us the rooms were great. it was very afordable. and a nice stop on our way to Yellowstone and then back home to Spokane. Thanks for a wounderful time . The Nelson's John ,Linda,Kristy

• Liked — everything the friendly oweners
  • Disliked — rooms were large
  • Tips/Secrets — you'll love this place, it's quite, friendly, and very nice A.M snacks very healthy
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank lazygirl2
Bigbearmotel2, Owner at Big Bear Motel, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Great havin ya give your self a pat on the back Bill