“The most impressive museum complex we've ever seen!”

Buffalo Bill Center of the West
Ranked #1 of 60 things to do in Cody
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hours: Mar 1 – Apr 30: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily May 1 – Sep 15: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. daily Sep 16 – Oct 31: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily Nov 1 – 30: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily Dec 1 – Feb 28: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Thursday – Sunday Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s days Since 1927, the Buffalo Bill Center of the West has been committed to the greatness and growth of the American West, keeping western experiences alive. The Center of the West, an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, weaves the varied threads of the western experience-history and myth, art and Native culture, firearms, and the nature and science of Yellowstone-into the rich panorama that is the American West. The Center of the West has been honored with numerous awards, including TripAdvisor's Certificate of Excellence for four years running.
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Cody is a fun stopping off point for a trip to Yellowstone National Park and we were so pleasantly surprised to find this world-class museum. Wonderful experience all the way around. It was the busiest time of year with large crowds, and yet the facility is so well managed you never felt overwhelmed.

1  Thank bobmarquetta
There are newer reviews for Buffalo Bill Center of the West

Reviewed January 15, 2014

5 Museums in one, hands-on exhibits for the kids and definitely the best display of Western art anywhere in the world. I believe it is now affiliated with the Smithsonian. Incredible National Geographic photography display in Summer 2013, also is a great website to use along with it while in the gallery, I used my iPad and the narrative added great detail to the art there. Nicest museum staff anywhere, and I believe the admission is good for 2 days. Even guys love this- an entire museum dedicated to firearms. Also paintings, scupltures, great works of art by Remington, Bierstadt, Moran, many others. Raptor show during the day in the garden is great- see hawks, falcons, owls close up while staff discusses each one. Great trip! Young kids lasted hours here with so many hands-on activities and short movies.

2  Thank travelhound28
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I highly recommend visiting this site. It is a beautiful museum complete with a wildlife rescue program that is commendable. I've always been a fan of Buffalo Bill and his Wild West Show. The displays were fun and interactive.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

As a teacher, I annually bring my students up to the Buffalo Bill Center of the West to experience The Draper Museum. The staff is knowledgeable, friendly and accommodating. I always look forward to coming back each year and always encourage my students to visit in the summer with their parents.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

After visiting Jackson Hole and Yellowstone on our round the country trip, we exited Yellowstone via the east gate and drove into Cody, Wy. Cody is a beautiful western city and we decided to spend the night there. While driving around town we happened upon the Buffalo Bill Center of the West. We decided to visit and boy are we glad we did. We spent two days in Cody and could have spent two more. The gun museum was my favorite but enjoyed all five of the museums. Highly recommend anyone visiting the area pay a visit. You will not regret it.