“Well Done Museum!”

Buffalo Bill Center of the West
Ranked #1 of 60 things to do in Cody
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hours: Mar 1 – Apr 30: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily May 1 – Sep 15: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. daily Sep 16 – Oct 31: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily Nov 1 – 30: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily Dec 1 – Feb 28: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Thursday – Sunday Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s days Since 1927, the Buffalo Bill Center of the West has been committed to the greatness and growth of the American West, keeping western experiences alive. The Center of the West, an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, weaves the varied threads of the western experience-history and myth, art and Native culture, firearms, and the nature and science of Yellowstone-into the rich panorama that is the American West. The Center of the West has been honored with numerous awards, including TripAdvisor's Certificate of Excellence for four years running.
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I'm typically not a museum fan but I had heard this was a good one. I heard right! This is actually five museums in one and cudos to the architect! Well designed, great layout. If you are a firearms enthusiast, the collection exceeds 3,000. One of the larger, if not largest, collection of Winchesters most donated by the Olin Corp. Also rifles that were gifts to President's T. Roosevelt, GH Bush, Johnson, and a rifle that was to be given to JFK but was never presented due to the assassination.
However, this is not a gun museum. It's a museum of western art and western history. Don't miss it, it's worth the admission for sure!

There are newer reviews for Buffalo Bill Center of the West

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Must See! I found the story about Bill Cody are very personable and humanistic, not just factual. The firearms exhibit is impressive and the Plains Indians hall is just magnificient.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We spent seven hours at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West, and didn't see it all. This is a very well done combination of five museums on Buffalo Bill, Natural History, Plains Indians, Western Art, and Firearms. I took two one-hour docent-led tours (at no charge), one on wildlife and one on people, which provided a "quick" overview of the exhibits. The museum is definitely worth your time; we're looking forward to a return visit the next time we're in Cody.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

This place doesn't look that big from the outside but it is HUGE! 1 day isn't enough to get through all this place has to offer. The most obvious place to visit is the firearms museum. We spent over 6 hours in just the firearms part and still didn't see it all. They have a great collection of art as well as Buffalo Bill Memorabilia. The nature areas, Yellowstone areas, and Wild West were all fantastic.

The staff were horrible however. I had a plastic bottle in my baby stroller that was empty and a staff member stopped me and stated there were no liquids allowed. I told him I knew that and that the bottle was empty and he yelled at me in front of patrons, "That don't make no difference!" (Can we speak proper English please?) I handed him the bottle and advised him that I planned to recycle it but there was no recycle bin in the main atrium but he grabbed the bottle and threw it in a regular can in the atrium. So much for "conservation."

Security was just as bad. My 2 month old needed to eat so I needed to leave in order to feed him (couldn't bring in a baby bottle and didn't feel comfortable nursing there). I stopped at the security desk to find out what I needed in order to be let back in. I stood there for 5 minutes while he assisted another family. He did not look my direction or acknowledge my presence (I am actually in the security service business and this was poor service). When he finished and looked over at me he said, "What do you need?" I was taken aback by his tone. I advised him I was stepping out and needed to know how to get back in. He asked if I was coming back today or tomorrow (the tickets are good for 2 days). I told him today and he said, "your sticker will get you in" and he turned around and shuffled around some papers.

Other then the VERY poor customer service, this is a neat place to visit.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

My husband & I vacationed in Wyoming in late June. We started in Cody, this is the first museum we went to. We spent a half day there, but since it is really several museums in one, you could spend more time.