“Great museum... so much to see!”

Buffalo Bill Center of the West
Ranked #1 of 60 things to do in Cody
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hours: Mar 1 – Apr 30: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily May 1 – Sep 15: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. daily Sep 16 – Oct 31: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily Nov 1 – 30: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily Dec 1 – Feb 28: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Thursday – Sunday Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s days Since 1927, the Buffalo Bill Center of the West has been committed to the greatness and growth of the American West, keeping western experiences alive. The Center of the West, an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, weaves the varied threads of the western experience-history and myth, art and Native culture, firearms, and the nature and science of Yellowstone-into the rich panorama that is the American West. The Center of the West has been honored with numerous awards, including TripAdvisor's Certificate of Excellence for four years running.
Reviewed July 24, 2013

The only negative to this museum is that there is so much to see! We stayed a few hours and could have spent even more time here had we the time to spare. My 16yo loved the historical aspect of the Buffalo Bill area. My 12yo loved the passport in the natural history area. The price was a little hefty and it was actually cheaper for our family of 5 to buy the yearly pass (which really makes no sense, as we live 3 states away... but did it anyways to save the money). All in all a great visit and a great museum.

There are newer reviews for Buffalo Bill Center of the West

Reviewed July 24, 2013

I purchased my museum ticket through Cody Trolley tours as a combination with the trolley tour. I got a little discount by doing it this way. I totally recommed this combination if you have the time. I had to determine what time I wanted to do the Trolley tour and was told where to be picked up from the museum. I had my 7 year old grandchild with me. My spouse was working and we were on our own without transportation. We walked several blocks to get to the museum. We presented out tickets at check in and was given a sticker - quick and easy. We both really enjoyed the museum. I was surprised that she enjoyed the gun section as much as she did. She really liked the second story where she could design different colored guns (a wooden puzzle). We made a quick tour of the parts that did not hold our interest and lingered over other areas that we found more interesting. We ate an overpriced lunch in the covered outdoor seating area. It is beautifully landscaped and was very enjoyable. We even saw a bunny playing around in the bushes. After lunch we went into one of the museums and was stopped by a very friendly guard that told me we were not allowed to bring in the $ 2.50 bottled water I had purchased for lunch. He asked my name and said I could pick up the water at the security area located by the stairs. My water (labeled with my name) was kept in a refrigerator and was nice and cold when I was ready to leave. I thought that was very nice and I was not offended at all by the way this situation was handled. There is a nice gift shop. Overall I thought the museum was a little pricey but very clean and informative and a nice way to spend the day. It would probably be a better value if you did in fact use both days to explore. However I didn't feel the need to return a second day and was not explained how to take advantage of a second day. We had surrendered our ticket and was given a sticker to prove we had paid for the day. I'm not too sure how we would have gotten in on the 2nd day.

1  Thank denisegdavid
Reviewed July 24, 2013

A very complete and sophisticated museum with a great gift shop and cafe. It should be seen BEFORE you go to Yellowstone.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is an absolutely brilliant museum and we loved 4/5ths of it (not the gun section - we are British!) There are lots of things for children to do there, it is very interactive, it is well laid out etc etc. It is slightly expensive but your ticket is valid for two days.

Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Yes I agree with all other reviews, was a very nice museum. My husband very much enjoyed it! I didn't as much because my boys ages 4,8,11 were not as entertained and unfortunately the security (multiple persons) made it known if kids were doing anything but walking and looking. Our 4 year old was asked to not run twice by security. He was certainly not being wild, so then I felt I needed to watch them like a hawk, which made it less enjoyable for us all with me getting after them continuosly. I saw other kids get reprimanded (including some older girls who had just ran slowly across an open atrium). There r many hands on exhibits which were nice, but probably mored geared for an older child. Definitely would not suggest bringing a child younger than 5. We (me and the kids) spent most of our time outside where they colored because we were told this was an area they could run around. The staff member outside was nice. Overall, not the most family friendly place and have been to better museums that make it fun for adults and kids. Kids should be about $5 for the experience. I mentioned my opinion politely to one of the security workers who responded he agreed and that he himself wasn't very kid-friendly. I was a bit surprised by that response!